Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Radford said:

I'm probably at the stage of being annoyed about the timing of the Levein sacking now. Up until the final couple of games of last season, I'd lost all enthusiasm for him but when he kept us up and it became clear he wasn't going to be sacked, you get behind that over the summer. What's the alternative?

I know the ownership situation was up in the air but they obviously weren't sure about him but he's gone now when it would have been much easier for a new manager to work with the situation in even July, if not May or June.

I try to never pin my colours to the mast too much when it comes to new managers but I'm possibly coming round to the idea of Tommy Wright more than I probably would have a few weeks ago.

If folk had to give one name, who would it be?

Tommy Wright. But, my concerns with him are that he tarnishes his reputation with Saints fans and his stint at Kille, who were in not a dissimilar situation to where we are now, was a bit of a disaster. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

58 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm probably at the stage of being annoyed about the timing of the Levein sacking now. Up until the final couple of games of last season, I'd lost all enthusiasm for him but when he kept us up and it became clear he wasn't going to be sacked, you get behind that over the summer. What's the alternative?

I know the ownership situation was up in the air but they obviously weren't sure about him but he's gone now when it would have been much easier for a new manager to work with the situation in even July, if not May or June.

I try to never pin my colours to the mast too much when it comes to new managers but I'm possibly coming round to the idea of Tommy Wright more than I probably would have a few weeks ago.

Really difficult to give just one name as while lots of names come to mind nobody actually stands out. I understand why some people want Tommy Wright but I have always believed you should move forward and leave the past behind. It also must be remembered that for all the good games there were plenty bad ones and for long spells it was not great to watch. Fans however are prepared to watch scrappy games if there is a positive outcome and Tommy Wright’s team did that consistently.

Ive already said Peter Leven and John McGlynn would be top of my list and I would add Alex Neil to that too. Whether we could afford him is in doubt but he apparently is open to coming back to Scotland so maybe would be a good shout. Whoever comes in though needs to be given the means to succeed. If they can somehow get us to the transfer window without being cut adrift at the foot of the table then maybe we can sort the goalie situation and the defence and go forward from there 

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Is Peter Leven not just Barry Robson a year on? When we appointed MacLean, folk were saying we should have held off to see if he got the Aberdeen job.

Can’t see Leven taking your managers job. He’s already turned down Raith where success is more achievable. 
Some result yesterday though,  not an easy place to go at all. 

Edited by 1GregStewart

Seen a couple of shouts for him to be the next manager, but now off to Newcastle. Is Jack Ross still at Newcastle? Maybe a candidate for the job. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

5 minutes ago, derektaylor84 said:

Seen a couple of shouts for him to be the next manager, but now off to Newcastle. Is Jack Ross still at Newcastle? Maybe a candidate for the job. 

Certainly implies Jack Ross has another gig lined up.  

Tommy Wright makes a lot of sense given the timing of Levein's sacking and what will be needed over the next few months. 

Any manager is going to struggle with the current goalkeeping situation and lack of defensive options. We can’t wait until January to try to resolve these problems so having a manager who knows the club and league and what is required would hopefully give us a better chance of adding the right couple of players to help until January. 

In the longer term he’s proven he can build really good squads to do well in this league and I don’t see why he couldn’t do that again.

I know it would be highly unlikely,  but reckon Graeme Jones would be a good shout. Has been at Newcastle for a while now, whilst having been part of Belgium's management team.

Would have a good contact list too.

He has the Saints connection, but guess wages would be the issue and only reason he would leave Newcastle would be if he wanted to be a manager.

1 hour ago, derektaylor84 said:

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Certainly implies Jack Ross has another gig lined up.  

It's a completely different job to the one Jack Ross has isn't it?

He's said multiple times he doesn't want to be a manager again any time soon either.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's said multiple times he doesn't want to be a manager again any time soon either.

I thought it was for the same role as Ross has, but I may well be wrong.  

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Tommy Wright.

However, very much have the fear that this group of players would let him down.

At least we’d then know if this lot are just totally unmanageable.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just had a look, Jack Ross is Head of Coach development at Newcastle. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Is Peter Leven not just Barry Robson a year on? When we appointed MacLean, folk were saying we should have held off to see if he got the Aberdeen job.

Barry Robson wasn’t assistant manager of the team that won the Belarusian title in 2019 (Leven was assistant at Dinamo Brest).

Leven would be an interesting choice and miles ahead of a Robson-type. Much more experienced both as a coach & in terms of contacts all across Europe.

32 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I thought it was for the same role as Ross has, but I may well be wrong.  

5 minutes ago, derektaylor84 said:

Just had a look, Jack Ross is Head of Coach development at Newcastle. 

This. It's a different job and it's likely Ross has hired the guy.

Unless some of these coaches working down south have a burning desire to be a manager then Saints won't be able to tempt them away from their higher paying less stressful longer term jobs they already have. 

Not seeing the likes of Jones would be bad appointments or anything, just can't see many of them being willing to take the financial risk. 

I'm not sure I think the same way with Wright in terms of ruining his legacy. I'm not sure that legacy ever goes? You can't take the previous achievements away from him. If he wants it, welcome home big man. 

The difficulty he will have versus when he took over first time round is the squad now isn't filled with hard working professional characters like it was last time. 

Recruitment was made "easier" for him back then by the fact he often just looking to compliment what he had by trying to add thr additional extra something to the already steady squad. Ie add an O'Halloran, Swanson, Kennedy type to a squad that already had the Mackay, Davidson, Craig, Anderson types already in it. When I say easier, it was a clear what he needed to add whereas now... We just need a whole squad 😵‍💫

No manager has a 100% success rate in signings and TW or any new manager frankly still needs 8-9 successful signings to get the squad anywhere near like it was when it was finishing 5-6th in the league. That's a difficult challenge on our budget. Look how long that took to build that spine of the squad back then. Would any manager get the chance to do this this time round? 😬

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I don't know where I set on Leven, I see both sides of it really.

I'd be surprised if we were the club he went for anyway. He'd be aswell staying at Aberdeen with his reputation intact until something better shows up.

In terms of appeal we must be near the bottom, if not bottom, of the top flight club you'd want to manage as a rookie.

I don't want to single out this person but someone shouting mark up isn't leadership, nor is it simply going to be the solution to these problems. 

It's not kids football down the inch. These players know fine what they need to do when the other team has a free kick already. 

I might be misremembering this in some ways but was there not a stage that TW took the captaincy off Ando during a season where he was really starting to struggle? I would like to think he would come in, take a look at who the actual leaders are (not Cameron) move some responsibilities about and at least have us with some kind of organisation.

Properly torn on it, if he does the same job again then that's the dream, but it could also go to shit