Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

What I find frustrating is the 3 names who have been leaked by whatever means will probably all say no so it will look like whoever we end up with as our next manager is our 4th choice regardless of whether they were or not. 

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Doesn't sound like he'd definitely take it... We'll soon find out I guess 😂

What an incredible job he did at Aberdeen following the mess left by Neil Warnock. Clarkson mentioned in his interview that he hopes he stays, as he supports the players who are keen on doing extra training.

Edited by betting competition

22 minutes ago, Nat King Goals said:

Didn't say I want Kettlewell as next manager and if only folk would read everything I said.

I merely put out a discussion as to IF a plan B were required, almost in a tactical way for league survival, who, IF anyone would / should we try to get.

Similar to when players are brought in to disadvantage a fellow relegation contender (and before you say it, I'm not saying Motherwell are necessarily relegation contenders) - similar to when Chris Woods went to Newcastle from Burnley and pretty much secured Newcastle safety and relegated Burnley.

Plenty other teams other than Motherwell in this league and was just puting it out there and using Motherwell as an example.

If only folk read everything folk wrote on here first before commenting....

"Clearly I want long term managerial stability, though.

In such a scenario, I would probably go for Kettlewell."

5 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Can't see Leven chucking the easy life for this shitemare, why on earth would you?

Thank you.

Paid yer f**kin bill? Scoreboards ain’t cheap. 

I’m sure the chat on the Dons thread was that Leven didn’t want to be caretaker when Robson was sacked, which led us to Warnock. Didn’t want the sh*te of being head coach. Maybe his time doing it changed his mind, though.

He’s also very much a coach, I’d say, and seems to excel at that side of things. But he’d need support to be a manager with a broader remit. Does Webb want to change the structure? A DoF or similar?

I’d be sad to see him go, but it would be a slightly odd one from both sides’ perspectives.

6 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

"Clearly I want long term managerial stability, though.

In such a scenario, I would probably go for Kettlewell."

Ooft, this is tough going but here goes...

Plan A = wanting one of Leven or Lynch to happen as that is long term manager stability.

Plan B = the tactical, more negative scenario of trying to poach a potential bottom 6 manager.

Can't be any clearer, but you carry on with whatever narrative you want to go with....

Anyway great new scoreboard and positive signs re the Lynch brothers now for the Plan A of long term manager stability - encouraging.👍

12 hours ago, Radford said:

The main problem football clubs have when appointing managers is that so often the people doing it know nothing about football. Are Saints now one of those clubs?

Adam Webb, Fran Smith, Roddy Grant, Matt Klase, Daniel Lamb, David Beaton. These are the men making this decision.

The biggest thing with Geoff Brown (1986-2011) when it came to these appointments was that he was so tuned in to Scottish football. It's why he kept getting it right.

This potential appointment terrifies me.

Maybe, but based purely on what we know publicly this has already been a better process than our last two stabs at recruiting a new manager, the first of which saw us appoint Macca purely because he  happened to already be in the room at the time, and the second of which saw us for some reason try to get Martindale (which would have been shit) and then go for Levein (which was even more shit).

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I wonder if having fresh, outside eyes leading the process this time might actually be a good thing. It feels like they're actually opening out the field and talking to people to find the right person, rather than just base their decision on existing prejudices. Either way, I think Geoff Brown had taken his finger off the pulse of Scottish football quite some time ago (hence him wanting Levein), so that's something we lost ages ago anyway.

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Maybe, but based purely on what we know publicly this has already been a better process than our last two stabs at recruiting a new manager, the first of which saw us appoint Macca purely because he  happened to already be in the room at the time, and the second of which saw us for some reason try to get Martindale (which would have been shit) and then go for Levein (which was even more shit).

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I wonder if having fresh, outside eyes leading the process this time might actually be a good thing. It feels like they're actually opening out the field and talking to people to find the right person, rather than just base their decision on existing prejudices. Either way, I think Geoff Brown had taken his finger off the pulse of Scottish football quite some time ago (hence him wanting Levein), so that's something we lost ages ago anyway.

It sounds like Webb has hand picked Lynch from the very start, but went through a full process of accepting applications, interviewing as many as possible, shortlisting the favourites then speaking further, before rushing into anything.

Sounds like Lynch remains the favourite throughout all this and there'll be a big push this weekend to convince him.

To me that all seems like the best way he couldve done it? I'd rather that than him just go straight to Lynch and disregard alternatives. 

35 minutes ago, Kubotalad said:

So after we work down the list of candidates that refuse or become more unlikely, it makes the sacking of Levein an odder and odder decision at the current time. 

I was thinking similar.

Years back (20+ years), I was speaking to a Saints board member around the time a premier league club - think it was United - had sacked their manager and had publicly announced who they were interested in. 

In the end the manager turned them down and Utd(?) looked a bit foolish as they’d been quite open about their pursuit.

The Saints board member was shocked that a phone call hadn’t been made in the background to establish the guy’s interest first.

I know there’s rules about tapping up, there always has been, but surely you put feelers out to establish whether someone is interested in the vacancy.  

Hopefully we can still get our main target in sooner rather than later.