Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Couldn’t help but think we’ve maybe too many defensive minded players in the team at times. Playing a 3-5-1-1 has its benefits with the right personnel. Tanser for all his (IMO) defensive frailties is much much better going forward and in the air than Booth who looks sluggish moving up the pitch. No doubts Danny Mac has been a revelation and will be missed, but Rooney has such a good engine that maybe it will free him up a bit, if we have Kerr to come back In. Again I think Liam is still an extremely useful player, particularly when defending. But in a match against Accies at home I’d have preferred to see Murray and Ali together as we just didn’t have enough support for Kane. May undoubtedly works hard but still just doesn’t get in the right areas enough for me. Massive 3 games coming up which will give us a clearer indication of how the season will pan out, hope we can convert more chances tomorrow. 

42 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

May undoubtedly works hard but still just doesn’t get in the right areas enough for me.

Why is he not getting in the right areas? Why is he going wide? Why when he does go wide and creates space does no one exploit that space? Why are his attacking teammates so shite? Why does his manager not rectify any of the issues he has? It's a fucking shambles and May cannot do it all himself, sure he's been at fault but I believe he's the best striker at the club and a decent striker for most premiership sides to have,

his teammates not so much.

May gets dragged wide these days because we play with a wing back with nobody in front of them, and Kane can't run the channels.

That's on the manager for the way he sets us up IMO, and probably also why we'll return to a 5-2-3 formation before too long, since he's wedded to having a back 5.

May also drops deep himself though, to try and get involved in everything, it's probably frustration, but it harms us as he's the best forward in terms of doing something in the area.

Guess you could argue its on the manager too to control that.

His performance against Hamilton was a bit mad though, twice he was the most advanced striker, and twice Rooney broke Hamiltons line and opened their defence right up, and twice May simply stepped away from the situation and allowed Rooney to be crowded out. No passing option, no distraction for defenders, no run in behind so Rooney could just blatter it 20 yards beyond the defence. He simply allowed the situation to pass him by. Thats on May.

In fairness I wasn’t necessarily just criticising May, I can see the work he puts in for the team. I’m just not convinced May and Kane work together as a partnership. I’d maybe be inclined to put O’Halloran in tomorrow, albeit he’s hardly set the heather alight this season. 

5 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

In fairness I wasn’t necessarily just criticising May, I can see the work he puts in for the team. I’m just not convinced May and Kane work together as a partnership. I’d maybe be inclined to put O’Halloran in tomorrow, albeit he’s hardly set the heather alight this season. 

They don't work well together, it's not just you seeing that. If we had at least one other decent forward who would compliment him and probably a better option than conway then we could be a different side all together. Callum would need to obviously wisen up on that front as well though or it wouldn't matter what players we had.

I actually thought McCanns role yesterday was perfect for him. He won the ball high up the pitch quite a few times, yet still provided cover and drive up the pitch. Was much more like it from him, only issue was he is clearly frustrated this season and it’s beginning to show that his team mates aren’t making decent runs or supporting. 

Just a thought. With McNamara away back south after tomorrow & no word on the length of time we will be without Tanser, is it time to revert back to a more conventional back 4? The system in my eyes worked well with forward thinking full backs & while Rooney would get up and down the line well, I’m not sure he’s got the ability to cross as well? Would a back 4 with Jason holding and McCann/+1 ahead of him be more effective? I guess this maybe flags how light we are on the right, MOH the only obvious choice for wide right in that formation?

4 hours ago, The Woolshed said:

Just a thought. With McNamara away back south after tomorrow & no word on the length of time we will be without Tanser, is it time to revert back to a more conventional back 4? The system in my eyes worked well with forward thinking full backs & while Rooney would get up and down the line well, I’m not sure he’s got the ability to cross as well? Would a back 4 with Jason holding and McCann/+1 ahead of him be more effective? I guess this maybe flags how light we are on the right, MOH the only obvious choice for wide right in that formation?

He'll just shoehorn players into the shape like he's been doing all season. Rooney will continue in the back 3 & probably MOH at wing back. 

Kerr won't be playing either due to a positive covid test. 

Now that the window is open what positions do people think need strengthening and do they have anyone in mind that is realistic for Saints?

Personally,i think to make us better we need a Goalkeeper, striker and a forward thinking attacking midfielder/winger. All of better quality than we already have. Can't see that happening though, think we might get a striker in on loan though.

Presumably "how many we bring in will depend on how many we get out", so it'll be a case of us waiting until Melamed arranges something else, then trying to sign someone with that money.

19 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

What's the point in signing anyone else based on Davidson's explanation for Melamed not playing won't they apply to anyone? 

No bounce games to get them up to speed nor will he trust them? 🤔

His excuses were definitely bullshit... 

Positive sometimes? You sure?

26 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Positive sometimes? You sure?

Ok so if I should believe the shite Davidson waffled my statement would be 100% correct? 

Interesting response as well coming from one who just goes about abusing other posters and saying nearly every player is shite.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

What's the point in signing anyone else based on Davidson's explanation for Melamed not playing won't they apply to anyone? 
No bounce games to get them up to speed nor will he trust them? [emoji848]
His excuses were definitely bullshit... 

I mean let’s be fair here, our manager can’t just come out and say X player is shite and that’s why he isn’t playing when directly asked by a journalist. Of course the excuses are bullshit.

Also it’s fairly easy to read between the lines of his comments on trust to see that he thinks the bold Israeli is shite, no?

13 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

I mean let’s be fair here, our manager can’t just come out and say X player is shite and that’s why he isn’t playing when directly asked by a journalist. Of course the excuses are bullshit.

Also it’s fairly easy to read between the lines of his comments on trust to see that he thinks the bold Israeli is shite, no?

My whole point was flippant in the first place. Which I thought was fairly obvious. Does anyone honestly believe "there's no point signing anyone" due to their being no bounce games...?

Not shocked Grandad window lick took it seriously but didn't think anyone else would. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

On 01/01/2021 at 10:16, tree house tam said:

Look you know my view on stats, I would rather you kept it in house tbh.

I find them quite interesting, can't comment too much on how Premier league players match up but find it intriguing to see how RG stacks up championship players. 

While you can moan about certain players coming out as better due to better systems, teammates etc, that's why having someone in charge of recruitment to then be able to cut through the stats to see if a player would fit your system is so key. Having a set system in place so that you have a squad where the players come in and have a defined role makes a difference aswell, it's something that Brentford for example have excelled in. 

The best we've seen of Wotherspoon for a month.  Him coming on fresh when the game was stretched and open really benefitted us.

I'd like to see us do this in a few tight fixtures. Start out with a very 'safe' and not particularly attacking line up and keep a couple of our potential game changers on the bench. Keep the game tight for an hour, however unentertaining it sounds, then make positive changes with 25-30 minutes to go.

We don't score many anyway, so focus on still being in the match.  At the minute our creative players are basically used as defensive players when they're on from the start (O'Halloran and Conway today).

5-4-1 or 5-3-2 (we're never going away from 3 cb's so I'm no that's gong to mention it) with at least one midfielder sitting in front of the defence.