Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Twitter randoms saying Stoke have bid £800k for McCann (maybe mixed lines and the "£1m" fee quoted is on top of the £800k?), and a couple of twitter randoms saying Kerr to Wigan is pretty far along.

Hopefully the old Head of Recruitment left a couple of names on the managers desk before he left...

I'm not saying this from a position of knowledge but not sure how accurate those randoms on twitter will be regarded Kerr. 

If the deal was far along in any way or in any way close not sure he'd be training today. Unless anyone thinks/knows different?

Pointless him starting pre season with us, risking injury etc if a move is close. Wigan wouldn't be keen either as they'd want him to follow their pre season plans. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

5 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I'm not saying this from a position of knowledge but not sure how accurate those randoms on twitter will be regarded Kerr. 

If the deal was far along in any way or in any way close not sure he'd be training today. Unless anyone thinks/knows different?

Pointless him starting pre season with us, risking injury etc if a move is close. Wigan wouldn't be keen either as they'd want him to follow their pre season plans. 

There's definitely been incidents of players elsewhere being dragged out of training as they've signed elsewhere.

Zero idea if that's how it's working for him, but a lot of players just continue as normal while their agents tell them otherwise.

It might be bollocks, but either way I'm fairly convinced Kerr will be away in the next month if Wigan are interested. They'll be more than able to pay the fee and chuck enough money at him to make it worthwhile.

Can see us starting European games with Rooney as RCB and Brown as RWB.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

There's definitely been incidents of players elsewhere being dragged out of training as they've signed elsewhere.

Zero idea if that's how it's working for him, but a lot of players just continue as normal while their agents tell them otherwise.

It might be bollocks, but either way I'm fairly convinced Kerr will be away in the next month if Wigan are interested. They'll be more than able to pay the fee and check enough money at him to make it worthwhile.

I think he'll be away as well. 

McCann less clear. I think we'll say our asking price is X and put ball back into court of clubs to meet that. Can't see us negotiating much from that point as we're in a stronger position contractually with him. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

McCann less clear. I think we'll say our asking price is X and put ball back into court of clubs to meet that. Can't see us negotiating much from that point as we're in a stronger position contractually with him. 

I think a club like Stoke will happily punt £2m our way for him without blinking. Get him for that price now or wait 12 months and compete against larger clubs?

Can't see Saints turning that down, it'll just be a case of Stoke negotiating their way up to it.

If we could bring in ~£2.5m for Kerr and McCann, would be interesting to see how much they'd be willing to spend on new players. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, the young striker Max Kucheriavyi seems to be getting focused on in the pre-season photos, and think he's in the latest Twitter post too.

Was here last season, and never heard any talk of him, so that's interesting I guess 😂

Signs a 3 year deal, that'll be why about 10 pre-season photos are dedicated to him then 😂

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think a club like Stoke will happily punt £2m our way for him without blinking. Get him for that price now or wait 12 months and compete against larger clubs?

Can't see Saints turning that down, it'll just be a case of Stoke negotiating their way up to it.

If we could bring in ~£2.5m for Kerr and McCann, would be interesting to see how much they'd be willing to spend on new players. 

In that hypothetical scenario. 2.5m even if the manager was given the 500k to spend there's bound to McCart type prospects we could pick up out there that we could pick up. (Personally not that up to date on lower league prospects). 

Might not be quite as good on the ball as Kerr etc but if we can get someone in who can defend well etc I'd be vvv happy.

In that hypothetical scenario. 2.5m even if the manager was given the 500k to spend there's bound to McCart type prospects we could pick up out there that we could pick up. (Personally not that up to date on lower league prospects). 
Might not be quite as good on the ball as Kerr etc but if we can get someone in who can defend well etc I'd be vvv happy.

I didn't know Wigan came so close to another relegation last season. I'd have thought Kerr could have done better.

Wigan’s owner absolutely shafted the club and they were in administration playing their under 21’s.

I think they’re out of if and on sound financial footing and are looking at getting back to the championship so they maybe think it’s best to get someone with experience in for these younger kids.

14 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Anyone know the story with this Ukranian kid? Was he always in the youth setup or did he come from elsewhere?

Googling him brings up results for Hearts youth side and Edinburgh City. 

Wigan’s owner absolutely shafted the club and they were in administration playing their under 21’s.

I think they’re out of if and on sound financial footing and are looking at getting back to the championship so they maybe think it’s best to get someone with experience in for these younger kids.
Yeah I remember hearing that he severely fucked them over and presumed when I saw their league position that they were still in the shit.

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
11 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Yeah I remember hearing that he severely fucked them over and presumed when I saw their league position that they were still in the shit.

Think they started on -12

41 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I wonder if he's going to be given the opportunity as the 4th forward this season. 

Good luck to him! 

The media are describing him as a defender, but he's listed as a forward on the Edinburgh City website. I don't know who to believe.

44 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

*puts on tin hat*

Kerr was average at best when in possession IMO. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

*puts on tin hat*

Kerr was average at best when in possession IMO. 

He wasn't outstanding at keeping posession or opening up a defence, but he was excellent at makking forward runs as the overlapping CB and he was confident on the ball which could be the hardest thing to replace.

There are plenty of defenders who will eat up headers, plenty who look tidy on the ball, but finding a good all-rounder who's also a leader on our budget won't be easy

1 minute ago, steviemay17 said:

finding a good all-rounder who's also a leader on our budget won't be easy

Probably impossible tbh. Shows the value of having a good youth system.

Just now, steviemay17 said:

He wasn't outstanding at keeping posession or opening up a defence, but he was excellent at makking forward runs as the overlapping CB and he was confident on the ball which could be the hardest thing to replace.

There are plenty of defenders who will eat up headers, plenty who look tidy on the ball, but finding a good all-rounder who's also a leader on our budget won't be easy

He actually stopped making those runs a lot of the time once McNamara left, since Rooney is very much a head down and charge past players kind of fullback. Whereas McNamara would look for options and passes in behind as a first option. That's not to say Kerr can't still make those runs, but there's les requirement when Rooney is playing. He's definitely better on the ball than Gordon, but worse on it than McCart, who's easily our best passer even if he's sometimes a little wayward. Maybe I'll get crucified for this, but I actually think Kerr is the easiest of the three centrebacks to replace, despite being the best out of the three of them overall.