Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

Cheers, I take it Ferguson was a lot more comfortable than last week. 

Ferguson looked much more comfortable but was quite quiet. Showed a few moments of class and attempted a few killer passes but actually felt the other two central midfielders outshone him

2 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

Cheers, I take it Ferguson was a lot more comfortable than last week. 

Yeah looked happier. 

Had a couple of wee bursts but it was hard for anyone to really stand out as the 2nd half performance was just so good all round.

Its early but I think I prefer him to Max, tbh. Worry Max and MacPherson in the same midfield won't work as they're both similar in a way I'm not sure how to describe.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah looked happier. 

Had a couple of wee bursts but it was hard for anyone to really stand out as the 2nd half performance was just so good all round.

Its early but I think I prefer him to Max, tbh. Worry Max and MacPherson in the same midfield won't work as they're both similar in a way I'm not sure how to describe.

Well... MacPherson is shite so there's that problem straight away.

6 hours ago, Nold said:

What would you have done differently? Granted the last couple of years were notable by his absence, but I'm not sure what else he could have done before that. His 'bulletproof' interview was a disaster, but otherwise I think did a pretty good job.

I'm not certain he ever wanted the job in the first place, but he took it on regardless. That in itself is worthy of praise.

I'm certainly not his biggest fan, as he has definitely made big mistakes. Having said that, I don't think he deserves that the last few years paint the picture for his tenure as a whole 

Not driven the most consistently successful manager in the club’s history out?

Invested in the playing squad in a more sustainable manner over the full ~10years, not just let a dafty go wild towards the end.

Improved the physical structure of the club. McDiarmid is looking old and dated. Training facilities feel too little too late.

Had something other than my mates on the board.

Publicly stood up for club and Scottish football in the various hoohas with the old firm.

Improved the corporate structure of the club, so we were better positioned to negotiate transfers and contracts.

Not repeatedly said how much I didn’t want to be in the job I was in over the years.

Not constantly belittled European qualifiers as a pain in the arse cause of the travel costs etc. when they could have been used to improve the standing of the club in terms of footballing reputation and financial situation longer term.

Deliberately made an attempt to create my own reputation and image rather than relying on my dad.

Edited by gingermunkie
Spelling and clarifications

7 hours ago, gingermunkie said:

Invested in the playing squad in a more sustainable manner over the full ~10years, not just let a dafty go wild towards the end.

Improved the physical structure of the club. McDiarmid is looking old and dated. Training facilities feel too little too late.

Publicly stood up for club and Scottish football in the various hoohas with the old firm.

Improved the corporate structure of the club, so we were better positioned to negotiate transfers and contracts.

Not repeatedly said how much I didn’t want to be in the job I was in over the years.

Not constantly belittled European qualifiers as a pain in the arse cause of the travel costs etc. when they could have been used to improve the standing of the club in terms of footballing reputation and financial situation longer term.

Deliberately made an attempt to create my own reputation and image rather than relying on my dad.

Nail on the head here mate.

Great post.

"It's me, hi, I'm the problem it's me" - Callum Davidson

7 hours ago, gingermunkie said:

This is spot on. Tinpot rather than bulletproof. 

42 minutes ago, Radford said:

What a line, by the way. @PSJ.84

If this season goes wrong and we need a banter years thread, shushed by a mullet has to feature prominently.

As it stands, that game would probably be my choice for game of the banter era. 3-0 defeat to Livi and Kelty are up there but the timing of the Annan game combined with Cleary’s red card, the result and getting the piss taken out of us by a grown man with a mullet put this one top. 

Honourable mention to the 6-3 against Inverness. 

The 6-3 which resulted in us not trying a back 4 again (and only twice from the start under Davidson) until we played rangers in the January. 

Must be said though, Mitov is a much higher profile signing than I was expecting. If that's the standard Maclean is looking for and he's not willing to settle for a 'do a job' signings  then fair play to him.  The youngsters have all shown they're of a good standard this pre-season as well. They're maybe not ready to play 30 times a season but there  looks like a few who could cover for us and maybe break in to the team later. 

Edited by Kyle

53 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Probably good news for the squad but a bit of a sickener for Sinclair surely? If the assumption was the other CK would be someone like MacDonald.

Hopefully a good thing for him, like someone said previously that it could be a Mannus/Clark situation.

I imagine he’ll back himself to be good enough to start so should be a good battle. 

Does anyone have any concerns with Sinclair’s small sample size? Only thing I’ve picked up on is his kicking might be a worry at times, maybe just over critical on that.

I like the prospect of the Mitov signing. Clearly a guy who is looking to get into the Bulgaria squad and sees Saints as a good opportunity to do just that. Looking at the Bulgaria keepers, he has a good chance. If it doesn't work for him, it will be hopefully because Sinclair is a better keeper, which would be a win for Saints in either situation.

Probably indicates 2 things; Saints are still seen as an attractive club (at least vs league 1 in England) and also that MacLean is correct in that he favours quality over quantity.

I wonder if this is an indication of Saints casting the net a bit wider for recruitment than we did under Davidson (Grieve signings aside). 

1 hour ago, Saint DBL said:

Hopefully a good thing for him, like someone said previously that it could be a Mannus/Clark situation.

I imagine he’ll back himself to be good enough to start so should be a good battle. 

Does anyone have any concerns with Sinclair’s small sample size? Only thing I’ve picked up on is his kicking might be a worry at times, maybe just over critical on that.

I can't say I've seen enough of him yet to form an opinion. Hasn't dropped any clangers and he's commanded the box well and taken pressure off at corners a few times by collecting the ball. Certainly doesn't seem to have the distance in his kicking that Zander did 

2 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Probably good news for the squad but a bit of a sickener for Sinclair surely? If the assumption was the other CK would be someone like MacDonald.

MacLeans been fairly open in the public about wanting to have two "first choice" keepers, so would assume hes been saying the same to Sinclair.

Its a shame and I'd rather see Sinclair given a shot (and i wouldnt be shocked if both Sinclair and Mitov know Sinclair gets first go), but it is the best plan for us overall as a club.

The best thing about signing English League 1 players is once again the chance to read some of the truly outstanding and misguided comments they can make. 

My personal favourite being that a move to Perth is mad, as we're apparently in the middle of nowhere and about as far north as you can get interesting take that one.

Second and only just is the ever growing list of Scottish Premiership players that they know (Carroll, Richard Tait, Liam Hughes (who?)) being used as an argument for the standard of our league, despite the fact that these are clearly poor or below average players within the league. Then to top it all off is the insistence that the Scottish league is bottom League 2 standard. It's always an absolute pleasure taking these teams best players and the rage that it induces.

He's big, He's tall. He's here to catch the ball,

Dimitar Mitov, Dimitar Mitov

"If you're Ronan Keating, who was working in a shoe shop when I discovered him, but end up thinking you're George Michael, then you need to be stopped." - Louis Walsh

2 hours ago, Widge said:

The best thing about signing English League 1 players is once again the chance to read some of the truly outstanding and misguided comments they can make. 

My favourite was the Cambridge United fan claiming theyre a bigger club than Saints and us winning 3 trophies in the past decade with multiple big European games doesnt mean anything as its "easy" to accomplish in Scottish football.