Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Largely unreliable but I also sign McLelland for Saints on FM because his attributes for bravery and leadership are off the charts, even if that's half true, this team needs some leaders so you never know

https://fminside.net/players/2-fm-22/28121364-sam-mcclelland

For reference 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think hes a similar player to Mitchell, but thats guesswork based on a few comments ive seen.

We absolutely shafted Mitchell, making him sit and watch Considine and Gordon every week.

Hopefully McClelland will get as much football as he deserves, however much or little that is.

Had a quick scan through the Barrow forum and it seems like a lot of them thought he was consistent and really good (which for a 21 year old is good) and that they expected him to move to the high end League 1 or Championship based on the way he had played. Sounds like he's got potential for sure and there was a reason he got an early cap. As others have said, he's come through at Chelsea, so technically he's going to be pretty decent you'd think. I'm not sure we need a dominant centreback, if we can get Gordon back doing what he's best at (i.e. sticking his head on things, instead of grappling) as a tactically aware partner for him will allow him to do that. Big plus from McClelland is that it appears he's comfortable on the ball, which also removes one of Gordon's weaknesses as we won't simply ask him to play a way he's unable to, as so far this season Considine appears to simply want to give Liam the ball instead of taking responsibility. If he's got the same style and ability that Mitchell has then happy days, we totally underused him and I'd love him back.

Really decent window if we can get McClelland and someone like McGrandless in the door. Shows that we don't have to just settle for 33 year olds looking for one last decent pay day. If we target the right types, some will come. 

Mitov

Brown - Gordon - McClelland - Gallacher

Phillips - McGrandles - Ballantyne/McPherson/Max

Wright - Jephcott - May/Carey

On paper looks a whole lot better than what we'd been running with even 3 days ago. The issue I've still got is we seem slightly unbalanced in the wide areas. I suspect you run it as a 4-4-2 out of possession and then a 4-3-3 in attack; however the left hand side is still a clear weakness, as whilst Gallacher is improving he's still got shades of Scott Tanser in his defensive play and without a solid base in front of him he'll get exposed. If you allow McGrandles (or another sitter) the chance to sit on top of the defence, it lets Phillips and another loose in the midfield and thankfully the one thing we don't lack in the midfield is engines to go box to box. I actually think Stevie May is the one who's place is most at risk when everyone is fit. He's not showing enough so far this season even with a strike partner and despite his very good numbers last season, it feels like we're moving away and evolving the squad to a point where he'll potentially be 3/4 choice in the next 6/12 months. 

4 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Presume that would be a loan as he's still under contract. 

Charlton appear keen to get rid of him, so wouldn't surprise me if they release him if there is interest in taking him permanently. My only drawback to this, is Cambridge essentially said they couldn't afford him on a permanent deal and I doubt we can offer much more. Then again we did sign Dimi, so maybe they pay even less than us!

5 minutes ago, Widge said:

Mitov

Phillips - McGrandles - Ballantyne/McPherson/Max

Wright - Jephcott - May/Carey

On paper looks a whole lot better than what we'd been running with even 3 days ago. The issue I've still got is we seem slightly unbalanced in the wide areas. I suspect you run it as a 4-4-2 out of possession and then a 4-3-3 in attack; however the left hand side is still a clear weakness, as whilst Gallacher is improving he's still got shades of Scott Tanser in his defensive play and without a solid base in front of him he'll get exposed. If you allow McGrandles (or another sitter) the chance to sit on top of the defence, it lets Phillips and another loose in the midfield and thankfully the one thing we don't lack in the midfield is engines to go box to box. I actually think Stevie May is the one who's place is most at risk when everyone is fit. He's not showing enough so far this season even with a strike partner and despite his very good numbers last season, it feels like we're moving away and evolving the squad to a point where he'll potentially be 3/4 choice in the next 6/12 months. 

I like how this team is beginning to take shape however I would make a couple of amendments:

Mitov

(Sinclair)

(McGowan) - (Considine) - (Considine) - (Booth)

Wright - Phillips - McGrandles - Carey

(Max) - (Ballantyne) - (McPherson) - (?)

Jephcott - May

(Kane) - (Clark)

This would allow a bit of rotation in key areas around the pitch, see brackets.

Thoughts?

On the plus side, the below demonstrates a hypothetical positive for the club -

Mitov > Matthews/Parish

Jephcott > Bair/Vertainan/Rudden

McClelland > Considine/McGowan (Maybe Mitchell?)

Following that logic, if you can get the below then I'd be a lot more confident about the season -

New Midfielder > Hallberg/Crawford/Spoony

New Winger > Murphy/O'Halloran/McClennan