Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Was wondering why Ben Doak hadn’t signed for St Johnstone yet, but it turns out that this is because he’s busy playing for Liverpool at Stamford Bridge today. Hopefully we can get him secured at some point in the next week.

Good to see he’s recovered from his illness though 

42 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

My main point was that we went downhill when the guys running the club didn't want to be there any more. Everything was stale and it transferred to the park. I think you're in that boat now.

So yeah, nae luck. Think you need the club to be sold pronto.

Thats fair enough, tbh. This has virtually all stemmed from Steve Brown effectively just chucking it after the double. 

23 minutes ago, Kyle said:

if you in any way paid attention to us since the cup double (and no harm to you if you haven't been) you'd see Davidson was miles out of his depth. Problem is, we gave him what was in essence a 4 year deal following the double success ( who wouldn't have?) 

Again though is that not symptomatic of the Browns losing interest / their lack of insight into what's happening day to day at the club?

The 4 year deal was awarded on the back of 6(?) seasons working at the club as assistant then manager. If the board were paying attention then, even after the double, you would expect they'd have some inkling of Davidson's limitations? Apparently not: lengthy contract and a big cheque book for the transfer market. 

There was a lot of good feeling for our old board and it took a wee bit of time to look back and realise "actually your management of the club, towards the end, was dire". The likes of Ian Murray and Alex Rae took the flak from the fans but..... the fish rots from the head. 

34 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

After the double? Think you mean 2014.

Aye in retrospect how that Summer went was a red flag about how they approached things. Have success then celebrate it all Summer and fall behind rather than chase more. Tommy Wright really did drag them out that particular hole.

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

If the board were paying attention then, even after the double, you would expect they'd have some inkling of Davidson's limitations?

Tbf hes apparently pretty highly rated as a coach, and then in the double winning season he'd be getting things right to the point even when we lost players the replacements came in and were so well drilled youd hardly even know we were missing anyone. There were signs he struggled to change things tactically and the way he refused to use Melamed for ages another retrospective red flag, but when you're winning these things are acceptable to a degree.

The board werent slated by many, if any, for giving him that contract as it just made sense at the time.

The subsequent abysmal squad building and inability/unwillingness to change anything tactically was after we'd already committed to them, and the board inaction was allowing him so many windows and so much money once it was clear he couldnt build a squad. 

48 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

How’s the banter page getting on? 

Just the same old. 

Sack the manager, the physio, the tea lady, the board etc. Meltdowns. 

It's a good thing folk are passionate but based on who's doing the posting without sounding cruel I wouldn't value their opinions on what bread to buy never mind their views on the football that they didn't probably see. 

-------

The issue with Davidson was his recruitment wasnt a strong point. Previously we'd tried a model with the head of recruitment scout role and it didn't work and instead of reviewing and finding a different type for person for the role because he didn't like it we allowed Davidson to take basically full control of it and continue to sign an obscene number of players. Most of which weren't good enough. 

He achieved something absolutely incredible with squad 95% signed by Tommy Wright. I know you should support your manager like they did with Davidson but support doesn't equal just giving him everything he wanted all the time.  The club simply has to make better decisions as a whole and not just hand him the keys. 

The signings of Ambrose and then the almost immediately getting rid of Ambrose after signing him, the new contract to MOH, the signing of Crawford, Jacob Butterfield, the Hector-Ingram signing to name just a few horrendous decisions. All of which I'm fairly confident were all his decisions. 

Even the fee paid for Clark is fairly questionable, especially given his injury issues. I know the manager is unlikely to have agreed the fee though. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

22 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

https://x.com/stjohnstone/status/1436630879238074368?s=46&t=OLddCCDMPmc8qGiSVzgghg

Went through the replies to this a few months back and it tells its own story 

Yeah it looked sensible at the time, despite the fact the window before had been a shambles i think the blame was already being directed away from Davidson. Think everyone just assumed it was the same as after 2014 and everything would just magically work out fine again.

Part of me is wondering if Macca is changing too much behind the scenes too quickly? I get managers want to put their own mark down, but just something I’ve been thinking about. 

Tying Davidson down after the double made sense. It was an amazing achievement,( despite some warning signs. But once it all clicked it was special stuff.) as we'd have made decent money if another team had come in for him.

It's actually really bad luck for us that nobody did come in for him. Wonder why?

And unfortunately he wasn't professional enough to do the job UNTIL someone came for him or not. 

23 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Part of me is wondering if Macca is changing too much behind the scenes too quickly? I get managers want to put their own mark down, but just something I’ve been thinking about. 

Professional footballers are big fucking babies.

Given some of the things I’ve heard behind the scenes, the whole club is still an absolute mess. Boardroom and exec level are still trying to salvage the failings of the previous regime, but there’s still worrying things at every turn. Let’s not pretend this isn’t a 3/4 year fix, cause it definitely is if we’re to get back on the right track. 

29 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I am thinking the same. Changes need to happen but seems like it is being done in one transfer window as we are playing catch-up. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

Given some of the things I’ve heard behind the scenes, the whole club is still an absolute mess. Boardroom and exec level are still trying to salvage the failings of the previous regime, but there’s still worrying things at every turn. Let’s not pretend this isn’t a 3/4 year fix, cause it definitely is if we’re to get back on the right track. 

It is a mess but that's not new news. If the owner had at least one eye on the ball this mess could've been fixed a couple of years ago.

Children often disappoint you.

Caught a bit of Sportsound earlier, they mentioned that in Saints next 13 matches we play Celtic twice & Rangers twice. Scary thought with what we are seeing now. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

1 hour ago, Widge said:

This wouldnt surprise me. The "its worked before" culture still exists and it feels like we just refuse to try and move forwards due to the success of the past.