Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, The Marly said:

May is under contract until the summer, he won't be leaving before then I wouldn't think.  No room for sentiment this season though, if a January offer for May means being able to sign a better option then that is what should happen. 

Like Wotherspoon, May would do well in the Championship.

One thing very evident in the squad is the togetherness. Wasn't not there under Macca, but seems much more obvious now. Winning helps clearly, but you could tell the mentors at the end yesterday. Feels very like a Tommy Wright Saints again on and off the pitch.

Clearly a right wing back and forward are the needs in January and cover at CB, but if you factor Wright at RWB and Clark up top, if everyone was fit and available it looks a very tasty squad. Not forgetting Fran is a forward too. Him playing off a Clark would be pretty tasty for however long we are able to keep him. 

Mays still a "proven" player at this level, and id be wary of losing too many of them until we actually have safety. I do think he still has a part to play, when playing alongside another striker, but also think hes checked out a bit at this stage due to a lack of confidence.

Could fully see a Dunfermline-esque team making him a fairly decent offer but i doubt he leaves in January unless hes told he wont play (which IMO wont happen).

Jephcott out and then one of Jaiyesimi/Costelloe (Costelloe the clear candidate here) surely allows 2 in? And you wonder if Levein might get trusted with a touch more money than MacLean too. Suspect Turner-Cooke is a goner too, and then there'll be another go at getting Crawford away early.

Front 3 shape stays and you have Clark, Kane, May, Jaiyesimi, Carey, Kucheriavyi + 2 all competing for 3 spots. That feels pretty strong in theory, if all are performing well?

5 minutes ago, TractorBoy said:

Someone thought May was good for an extra 2 and a half years at the start of this year...

Is the boy Sam Mclelland still kicking a ball? Not that we've missed him, just wondering we he's vanished to!

Timeline MacLean gave with 8-12 weeks before he returned to training, and that was 2 months ago.

Cant remember any mention of him since.

Goalkeepers 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Dave Richards - 2024 - on loan from Crewe Alexandria 

Ross Sinclair - 2026

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2024

Olusadare Olufunwa - 2025

Sam McClelland - 2025

Ryan McGowan - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Liam Parker - 2024

Callum Booth - 2024 

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Luke Robinson - 2024 - on loan from Wigan Athletic 

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Diallang Jaiyesimi - 2024 - on loan from Charlton Atheltic 

Dara Costelloe - 2024 - on loan from Burnley

Sven Sprangler - 2025

Jay Turner-Cooke - 2024 - on loan from Newcastle 

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Matt Smith - 2025

Ali Crawford -2024

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2025 - on loan at Queen of the South

Graham Carey - 2024

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Luke Jephcott - 2025

Chris Kane - January 2024  

Taylor Steven - 2024 - on loan at Alloa Athletic 

Soooooo many players out of contract. 

Wonder how long they wait to start agreeing extensions?

Next seasons squad vaguely like this for me just based on whos contracted for next season...

Mitov (Sinclair)

RCB (Olufunwa)

CB (McClelland)

LCB (back up)

RWB (back up)

LWB (back up)

Sprangler (back up)

Smith (back up)

Kucheriavyi (Franczak)

ATT (Ferguson)

Clark (May/Jephcott)

And you wouldnt be stunned if Ferguson is maybe loaned out again.

16 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Had absolutely forgotten that Crawford was still on the books! 😩😩

If you asked me, most days, to name our squad from memory, I'm fairly sure I'd regularly forget to mention Booth, Olufunwa, Ballantyne, and Crawford. Probably Turner-Cooke too.

As well as clearing out a lot of players we’re happy to move on next summer, there’s quite a few we really need to be trying to tie down over the next few months:

Phillips

Carey

Gordon

Wright

I’d also be offering Considine and McGowan 1 year extensions if they continue performing at their current level, unless vastly better options become available.

The opportunity to move on Crawford, McPherson, Costelloe, Ballantyne, Turner Cooke and one of May/ Kane will free up a good sum without weakening the first team in the slightest, so with good planning and decent scouting, we could really enhance the quality of our squad in the summer. 

Being well clear of the relegation places at Easter would be excellent for us this season.

7 hours ago, The Marly said:

May is under contract until the summer, he won't be leaving before then I wouldn't think.  No room for sentiment this season though, if a January offer for May means being able to sign a better option then that is what should happen. 

He'd get a dozen goals for a team like Raith or Partick