Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

While I agree this season Gordon hasn’t been great at times and I have been a big critic of his. Feel like I’m missing something about how he performed yesterday, I thought he was fine and was extremely unlucky with yet another shocking VAR call.

Not really seen anyone talk about just how bad Dare and K.Smith were. Dare in particular couldn’t even do the basics right. Don’t think he made a tackle or a successful pass under pressure all game. We desperately need Wright back to play there.

Also any talk of a contract extension for Considine is ridiculous. I’ll be happy to see the back of him personally. 

15 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Think I saw on Twitter last night that we've dropped 12 points from winning positions under Levein?

That is depressing. Time after time he's altered the set up in an attempt to 'hold on to what we have' with players not capable of doing that. Inviting teams to press on to us until the inevitable happens :rolleyes:

Fair fucks to you lot going watching every week. I'm no afforded that luxury whilst based down here. Maybe a good thing ;)

25 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Think I saw on Twitter last night that we've dropped 12 points from winning positions under Levein?

6 minutes ago, Jamesy96 said:

While I agree this season Gordon hasn’t been great at times and I have been a big critic of his. Feel like I’m missing something about how he performed yesterday, I thought he was fine and was extremely unlucky with yet another shocking VAR call.

How many times is he going to be unlucky?

Hes an experienced captain of a top flight club, yet can't be trusted to defend his own box and regularly mistimes both headers and tackles.

We concede a lot of goals because the defence isnt organised quickly enough, when your central CB is a 28yo captain with 150+ senior games for you, then he'll be looked at as the problem. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

56 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I want an entire fucking day of training just on stopping crosses. 

@RandomGuy. ruin my morning. Tell me how many goals we’ve conceded that have come from a cross? 

16 from 32 goals conceded from a cross (league only), add airdrie then it’s 17/33

20 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

16 from 32 goals conceded from a cross (league only), add airdrie then it’s 17/33

5 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

That's horrendous. 

Does it include corners? Or just open play crosses?

3/4 conceded v Stirling also came from crosses, if you include corners.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does it include corners? Or just open play crosses?

3/4 conceded v Stirling also came from crosses, if you include corners.

I included corners to be fair, didn’t have time but I wanted to narrow it down to second phase of set pieces as I imagine that’s about 6-8 goals roughly 

Edited by double deluxe

1 minute ago, double deluxe said:

I included corners to be fair, didn’t have time to narrow it down to second phase of set pieces but I imagine it’s about 6-8 goals roughly 

Cheers

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

Tell me I’m not seeing stories of Kane going on loan to Queens Park or Dunfermline? 

Aye

Kane out, May probably completely done in terms of confidence as hes been frozen out. Going by past history May will probably be forced to train with youths soon too.

Resting our attacking hopes on Sidibeh, Kimpioka, Jaiyesimi and Clark.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

VAR is to Liam Gordon what the pass back rule was to Andy Rhodes.

And yet it could be so much worse because yesterday certainly wasn't the first time this season he should have seen red.

I get why he went for the header with Mellon when we were chasing the game but it was atrocious and find it staggering he wasn't given a second yellow.

Yes, I can't believe we got away with that one.

As far as the points dropped from winning positions thing goes, that's going to happen to every team and yesterday wasn't close to the worst example of it. The two Motherwell games, for example, where we led 2-0 at home and were leading in injury time at Fir Park, for example, were shockers.

The number of goals coming from second balls into the box is a huge issue. We probably do need to try and stop the cross coming in, of course, but the bigger issue is that once we clear the first ball we're rarely organised quickly enough to defend the second one properly. You'd need to watch back all of these types of goals to see who is losing their man though.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kane out, May probably completely done in terms of confidence as hes been frozen out. Going by past history May will probably be forced to train with youths soon too.

Resting our attacking hopes on Sidibeh, Kimpioka, Jaiyesimi and Clark.

Dunno. Word was that it was down to Browns attitude that he was training with the kids.

8 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Tell me I’m not seeing stories of Kane going on loan to Queens Park or Dunfermline? 

What's the surprise? That you'd want rid because you need him, or that he's too pish even for the Championship? 

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Dunno. Word was that it was down to Browns attitude that he was training with the kids.

Ballantyne and Jephcott were punted there too weren't they?

Just now, Zanetti said:

What's the surprise? That you'd want rid because you need him, or that he's too pish even for the Championship? 

Hes still the only striker in our squad who looks capable of being a lone striker, for me (Sidibeh an unknown, but think him and Kimpioka are too direct so theyll never really hold it up and link play well). So im surprised hes going tbh, but its clear we need players off the book and i suppose you can only sell players that other clubs want.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes still the only striker in our squad who looks capable of being a lone striker, for me (Sidibeh an unknown, but think him and Kimpioka are too direct so theyll never really hold it up and link play well). So im surprised hes going tbh, but its clear we need players off the book and i suppose you can only sell players that other clubs want.

Cheers. Somewhat surprised to see us linked with another striker to be honest, we also only play with one of them and Ruari Paton is as good as they come at this level. I think he'd start for Dunfermline but probably not for us so I could see him ending up there instead.

17 minutes ago, mizfit said:

It was clear by the way he acted at the end of the game that he was going. Agree with @RandomGuy. that he’s probably our only forward who can play on his own up top .

Speaking of forwards, what was the point in bringing DJ on with a few minutes to go yesterday. If you’re looking for someone to poach a goal surely Clark should have come on

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Cheers. Somewhat surprised to see us linked with another striker to be honest, we also only play with one of them and Ruari Paton is as good as they come at this level. I think he'd start for Dunfermline but probably not for us so I could see him ending up there instead.

Without being arsed to go too deep into the bog of Davidson memories, he loved over stocking the squad with as many players as possible, so it doesnt really matter how many players you have for a position, he'll still want more.

He should work well beside Paton but maybe to start with youll see him coming off the bench to help you up the park. Hes great at playing with his back to goal, battling CBs and winning fouls.

12 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's a stonewaller - not just the slap in the face but the shoving down on to Bakayoko that followed.

I was watching on saints tv. 

As play raged on at the other end, a 2 second clip of the incident found its way into the stream. My 1st instinct was "oh, we got away with one there"

As soon as play stopped and ref put his finger in his ear, I knew what was coming.

Gordon would rather grapple than defend and has cost us countless times.

Stonewaller, all right.

If that’s a stonewaller then say goodbye to any jostling at set pieces. Be as well just standing still and letting the opposing team have a free hit.