Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You're right, but it feels like this has been said for the past 3-4 January's or summers.

For the past 4-5 seasons, we have finished very strongly and ended up top 6 and in Europe etc, with mostly the same group of players doing brilliantly. It possibly masked what had gone on for long periods mid-season. I remember when we achieved top 6 last season I wanted us to play a few games post split with fringe/ young players and start to plan for the following year. If we missed out on Europe then so be it. A few folk understandably argued we should be playing our strongest team and finishing as high as possible.

We've then had a rushed, disjointed summer with planning for Europe. 

I still think we'll battle through this. But this time next season are we likely to have seen many changes?

Given the out of contract players, and TW losing patience, I'd hope we see a turnaround of a major degree. I'd be giving young players, and the likes of Alston, a proper run to evaluate them for next season. Sink or swim time. 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

You're right, but it feels like this has been said for the past 3-4 January's or summers.

For the past 4-5 seasons, we have finished very strongly and ended up top 6 and in Europe etc, with mostly the same group of players doing brilliantly. It possibly masked what had gone on for long periods mid-season. I remember when we achieved top 6 last season I wanted us to play a few games post split with fringe/ young players and start to plan for the following year. If we missed out on Europe then so be it. A few folk understandably argued we should be playing our strongest team and finishing as high as possible.

We've then had a rushed, disjointed summer with planning for Europe. 

I still think we'll battle through this. But this time next season are we likely to have seen many changes?

I don't agree we've rushed our summers. Maybe a few years ago under Lomas that might be said to be true. But Tommy has prioritised stability over the past few years at the expense of youth or experimentation.  Most of our deals have been done early. And when that approach goes alongside qualifying for Europe, even when you could see the team wasn't as good or as entertaining as the season before, it was certainly hard to argue at the time that he wasn't right. 

But the problems we're seeing now have surely been caused by that approach: in rewarding contracts to Dave Mackay or Frazer Wright when they're nursing injuries that would soon force them out of the game; in trying to find players who can play alongside MacLean rather than searching for better replacements; in his loyalty – whether extending Chris Kane's deal when he's still not a first team pick or resurrecting Liam Craig's nosediving career; in recalling players he trusts – Swanson or O'Halloran – on short-term deals rather than having the confidence to build a new team for the years ahead.

It's understandable. Not only because results have up to now gone his way, but also because when he has gone out to find new players, Shaughnessy aside, they haven't performed as we'd hoped they would. 

But he has to change his approach now – and it's a pity it's a change that will be driven by panic, rather than strategy.

10 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Going back to sticking Scougall wide just seems like the manager wasn't paying attention for the entire first half of the season. I find that kind of stubbornness in a manager really frustrating.

Its absolutely infuriating me.

He played through the middle in the majority of his pre-season games. He played quite well. When he's played through the middle in competivive games they've been his best performances. Nearly every game he's played wide right he's been a peripheral figure in the game. Even Hamilton away when he scored he still had a relatively poor game. 

Yet every week he starts wide right! 

You'r probabaly right re stubbornness. Its similar in the same way he's been stubborn about not dropping the under performers. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

The back page of the courier brings some amazing news. Looks like we’ll be signing George Williams - a welsh internationalist - on loan from Fulham as well as Scott Wright and potentially a central midfielder (name not revealed). 

YES. 

Far better signings that you'd be expecting to make at this stage. Don't care if it's only loan deals tbh, we desperately need quality out there. 

Excited about Wright, who seems exactly what we need, absolutely no idea bout Williams as I've never seen him play before, Fulham fans called him a "poor man's Patrick Roberts", who can "play either wing" so I suppose that's decent. They rejected a bid from Scunthorpe in the Summer. 

Anyone any idea who the CM is? 

23 minutes ago, mizfit said:

It sounds very cynical of me, but I wonder how much of our current woes are down to Wright eying up the failed statelet job....

I asked Tommy this exact question ages ago. He laughed and said he was 100% committed to the job he is in and will be until he is actually offered that job.

He also said he didn't think he'd be offered it.

Edited by tree house tam
Adding the last bit