Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, tree house tam said:

He's already stated that this is their time to impress to be included in the first team squad for this season. They're getting their chances whether that be game time, bounce games or in training. If they're to be loaned out we will bring in others to fill what we need.

And Steven has already been put behind McPake in the pecking order, despite their respective careers so far and performances in the same division last season.

Why does Steven have to perform to avoid being loaned out yet McPake is guaranteed a shot at the first team without that threat hanging over him?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

And Steven has already been put behind McPake in the pecking order, despite their respective careers so far and performances in the same division last season.

Why does Steven have to perform to avoid being loaned out yet McPake is guaranteed a shot at the first team without that threat hanging over him?

Because the manager/coaching staff say so.

26 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

That's how you alienate players and ruin a relationship with them potentially beyond repair..

Imagine how delighted they'd be sitting in the stand and knowing the manager has chosen to have no one on the bench instead of them?

Agree, but if the manager doesn't think they are first team level, it does no one any any good to have folk there who won't get used. Fine if you are a youth player and being in and around the matchday squad is experience in itself, but more senior players.

For me, Steven is better than McPake and was playing the same level last year, but he is likely to go on loan and is getting 5-10 mins in competitive games. 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Because the manager/coaching staff say so.

I know, which is starting to make me doubt them this season again.

Saturdays starting line up is going to say a lot about how they want to approach this season IMO, if it's 5-2-3 with McPake and Smith behind a lone striker again then any sympathy/goodwill I've tried to give them this Summer will fade pretty quickly.

I’m not sure a winger would benefit from staying at Leveins st Johnstone due to the fact wingers tend to play out wide and try and attack - doesn’t really fit Leveins style. 

Edited by Der Panzer

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

It's wild in here FFS. 

I personally think all the kids could do with half a season playing regularly in the championship. It would make a world of difference to their development.

I agree, each youth players should be loaned out, ideally working up a level with each loan. But, there does come an age where you need to decide if they are first team ready or not. If they are, you keep them in squad, if they are not and at a certain age, you maybe need to get rid if you don't see a viable route to the first team. 

For me, Ballantyne had maybe 1 loan too many and it didn't do him much good and probably hampered him. May, Kerr and Clark are the obvious examples of the loans as young players really working.

1 hour ago, Der Panzer said:

I’m not sure a winger would benefit from staying at Leveins st Johnstone due to the fact wingers tend to play out wide and try and attack - doesn’t really fit Leveins style. 

You not got boycotts to organise?

I feel Saints have generally been a club who bring players through a bit older than other clubs after quite a few loan spells.

I don’t think we’ve suffered too much as a consequence.

Kane, Clark, Gordon, Kerr all had several loans before breaking into the first team.  Kerr made his first team debut a month before his 21st birthday. 

Even McCann was likely to get another loan spell if he hadn’t come on as a sub at Celtic in the 0-7 opening day defeat and been our best (!) player. Him and Kyle McLean started centre mid a week or two earlier at Forfar in a LC defeat and looked well below the level required.

May made his debut very young but was still loaned out twice before establishing himself in the 2013-14 season at nearly 21 years old.

As much as I love seeing exciting young players breaking through at Saints, it’s easy to think them better than they are because of their age.  I’ll be honest, I don’t think Franczak is ready for first team premiership football yet on what I’ve seen.
As Tam says, you have to trust the folk who are watching them everyday. And Levein has always been prepared to play youngsters if they’re good enough throughout his career.  

I felt we were too eager for young players to come in and do a job when they weren’t ready last season and it ended up in a horrendous run of results.

Im not for a minute defending some of the players we’ve signed over the past couple of years to play ahead of them though…

May got his big Rosenborg moment due to a bit of luck too. Wasn't meant to be starting. 

Midge had a grown injury late on so May got his chance, took it of course and never looked back that season. 

What a season it was too. 

One of these lads could get in through similar circumstances and take opportunity 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

May wasn't ready for Premiership football physically until that age, he bulked up over the Summer and came back ready to go.

Steven is already at that stage.

I don't think you can look at it as the successful loanees being proof you need to have a Championship loan to be Premiership ready. There's a strong chance Clark/Kerr were already ready for us when they had their final loans.

Our transfer dealings got off to a breakneck start but it's all feeling a bit dull right now, knowing who the next signing will be and needing to wait a week for the inevitable announcement. I'm gagging for some surprise recruits.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

There’s a simple solution here. 
Sack Levein. 

Adam Webb reading this in 3 months when the footballs shite and there's no fans.

why-didnt-i-think-of-that.gif.e170505c9d56c988b3340aa1c60b3a96.gif

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

You not got boycotts to organise?

No.

I will however be participating because apparently I shop like a Tory and can’t afford to go. May consider moving to Perth with my people. 

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

No.

I will however be participating because apparently I shop like a Tory and can’t afford to go. May consider moving to Perth with my people. 

Thank you. 

Perth has been SNP for nearly 30 years. Which is FAR longer than unionist Dundee but not quite as long as Dundees trophy wait.

Cling on to those friendlies pal, cling on.

31 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

No.

Thank you. 

Wait, are Dundee fans planning to boycott the United game? Is that over ticket prices or something else?

If it is over prices, that is some brass neck when you compare the cost of family tickets at Dens vs McDairmid.

Cutting noses off though, as surely any receipts will just be brought into the merged club anyway?

No way is the boy McPake good enough for the top flight, that is the truth, and you're away to find this out. Unbelievable you handed him a 2 year deal, that signing on its own should set alarm bells ringing. IMO.