Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think as much as anything having both of them - and I want them both starting every week - means you e always got an out ball no matter what. The key is that we don’t just resort to shelling it long every time.

If Sidibeh stays then Levein has to play both. With the downgraded goalkeeping and defence options from last season, it feels our best option is to defend from the front. Could be similar to Newcastle teams from 90's under Keegan with a few 4-3's and high scoring games - just have to hope we win more than we lose but would certainly be entertaining.

Thing is, if we get relegated scoring 50+ goals in totally alright with that, at least we’ve had a go! If we go down scoring 25 I’d be way more pissed off to say the least. 

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Imagine Sidibeh and Kimpioka in a peak Tommy wright team. We'd have won the league with 10 games to spare. 

And he’d have been pissed off it wasn’t with 15. 

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Imagine Sidibeh and Kimpioka in a peak Tommy wright team. We'd have won the league with 10 games to spare. 

Mannus

Mackay - Kerr - Wright - Tanser

O'Halloran - McCann - Craig - Wotherspoon

Kimpioka - Sidibeh

Moist.

In a way (and it slightly pains me to say it), you have to really credit Levein for finding Sidibeh and Kimpioka. Issue will be whether he is positive enough to pair them, but if he does, I wouldn't want to be the defender in a foot rave against them. Issue we have is getting the ball into them. For me, if you play both, you can get away with deeper wide players, which suits both Wright and Carey. That means for me an old school 442 of:

Rae

Def: Keltjens, Cameron, McLelland, Nielson

Mid: Wright, Essel,  M Smith, Carey

Att: Sidibeh, Kimpioka

Essel bursting folk in midfield and M Smith pretty much either feeding balls in behind for the front two or sideways to the wider players.

Edited by Theyellowbox

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mannus

Mackay - Kerr - Wright - Tanser

O'Halloran - McCann - Craig - Wotherspoon

Kimpioka - Sidibeh

Moist.

Not having Tanser over Easton. No chance.

21 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Essel bursting folk in midfield and M Smith pretty much either feeding balls in behind for the front two or sideways to the wider players.

Essel launching into daft tackles and being caught out of position, and Smith shitting it out 50/50s and f**king every pass.

17 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Not having Tanser over Easton. No chance.

It'd one I swithered with. Easton better over his Saints career than Tanser, but peak Tanser better than peak Easton.

On 05/07/2024 at 21:05, FrankChickens1 said:

Just watched the first minute of a video on YouTube "Aaron Essel - Ghanas new gem" and already seen a solid red card and a ridiculous foul throw both by him, not given obviously 

Maybe one to file under 'potential' but f**k it, would rather a ridic signing like this than a Halliday or something 

Prescient 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It'd one I swithered with. Easton better over his Saints career than Tanser, but peak Tanser better than peak Easton.

Peak Tanser is still an absolute shitebag. 

Easton is never a shitebag.

Aye Easton over Tanser every day of the week for me, at their best, he was simply better. I'm also not sure I'd have Craig in the middle over Murray Davidson either, at his best he'd dominate a midfield single handidly. Still it's depressing to look back on what we're missing now!

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Essel launching into daft tackles and being caught out of position, and Smith shitting it out 50/50s and f**king every pass.

Calling it now that M Smith is going to be night and day this season vs last... 😬

Also, not having Tanser over Easton. Peak or otherwise. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Correct answers that everyone must agree with from now on:

Kimpioka > Sidibeh

Easton > Tanser

Matt Smith showed plenty moments of quality as a CM last season, but he needs to contribute a lot more to the team as a whole and he needs to work on his propensity to fall out of games. He’s got a good eye for playing a killer ball from time to time, but has shown limitations in terms of actually being a reliable and consistent midfield presence. There’s definitely something there, but not when played on the right.

Edited by The Real Saints

I’ll say this about Matt Smith, he was definitely making more effort in the 50/50s against East Fife and was actually giving away fouls which is a positive sign he’s prepared to get stuck in. 

Matt Smith is the Welsh Cammy Macpherson. 

very good at throwing his hands up in the air and moaning stuff isn’t going his way, and very good at giving away possession. 

25 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Calling it now that M Smith is going to be night and day this season vs last... 😬

Also, not having Tanser over Easton. Peak or otherwise. 

Smith is just a nothing player and I think people have forgotten how bad he is week in, week out, over the Summer break.

I think this about quite a few of our players who have suddenly become good enough for many.

Brian Easton is a big beautiful man who was miles better than tanser. 
but Scott tansers pace, crossing and set pieces with Kimpioka and Sidibeh up front makes my mouth water. Think it’s all the dross I’ve watched over the last 3 seasons my memory has turned Scott Tanser into prime Roberto Carlos.

32 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Actually, I’d go one step further and say that peak Callum Booth also clears peak Scott Tanser. 

I’m getting angry just thinking about Scott Tanser. One of my least favourite Saints LBs of all-time.

Couldn’t agree more. A feeble little runt of a man who shouldn’t even be a part of the discussion (but enough about RandomGuy…).