Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Oh the other thing that’s really pissing me off is the line “learned a valuable lesson”  the only lesson he has learned is to not have his social media accounts public. 

Exactly. That statement from him is a copy and paste from every twat in the public eye that f**ked up. The only thing missing was "inadvertent". 

I don't think the club could do an awful lot more than they have, but still feel like they could have been more scathing in the messaging.

I'm not convinced he will be playing for saints again and would be amazed (and disappointed) if he is in the squad on Sunday.

I'll be honest, I will not be able to cheer or support him in any way, which is not something I want to feel about a Saints player.

His 'apology' seems hollow given he is clearly saying what he needs to say to save his arse and his girlfriends reaction was telling. 

18 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I don't think the club could do an awful lot more than they have, but still feel like they could have been more scathing in the messaging.

They could have been much more forthright about it. No idea why they weren't. And as for MacPherson: saying you've done some research means little if you're an  antivax right-wing climate denier. All they f*cking do is research.

What more could they have done? What would have left me happy is if the club and MacPherson had agreed that for the next month he wouldn't be available for the first team and would spend his Saturdays working at a refugee charity instead. That, at least, be an act of contrition that might stand a chance of improving him as a person.

Edited by Mr Heliums

12 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Surely what'll happen now is that, on his next appearance, he'll be booed by a significant number of his own fans every time he touches the ball? That'll be the end of his St Johnstone career anyway.

The chairmans come out and effective said anyone who doesn't back him doesn't back the club and they'll fail if that happens.

So you're in a situation where the owner of the club has more interest in a player not getting booed than the fact the player shared a video designed to incite racial violence at a time when people are trying to burn refugees alive.

If he's in the squad in upcoming games then I think I'm done with Saints games, no way I can stomach cheering anything that he's involved in.

I'm not particularly annoyed by the outcome, was never going to be anything stronger, but the statements that have been put out are just generic, spineless drivel. Would it have done us any harm if they came out and elaborated on the clubs status in the community and efforts they've made with refugees in the past etc, and even stated he was listed for transfer. Nobody would take him, but atleast make it clear that players whispering sweet nothings in his ear isn't all that it takes to move past it.

Calling it an unintentional lapse of judgement is just an insult to our intelligence

Would be pretty happy to see Cammy leave. His performance on Monday night, for someone who doesn’t get to see many games,  solidified everything most on here said about him. I also think reposting Robinson in the current climate was thick as mince and appalling.  No time for that shit.

I actually don’t care what views the players of St Johnstone have as long as they keep them quiet. Football is my escape from politics as I spend way too much time on the latter.

We have two other players where we can have controversy,  Max and Keltjens. 
What if Keltjens tweets in support of almost anything Israel is doing at the moment, genocide being the main one, torture and rape of prisoners the others.  
What if Max shows support for Azov, Pravy Sector or Aidar? Zelensky has tweeted at least three times pictures of soldiers with Nazi patches.  

I hope not. I just want to watch some good football and forget about the world

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Be shocked if he's still here come the window closing.

Sincerely hope you’re right. 

2 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

Would be pretty happy to see Cammy leave. His performance on Monday night, for someone who doesn’t get to see many games,  solidified everything most on here said about him. I also think reposting Robinson in the current climate was thick as mince and appalling.  No time for that shit.

I actually don’t care what views the players of St Johnstone have as long as they keep them quiet. Football is my escape from politics as I spend way too much time on the latter.

What if Keltjens tweets in support of almost anything Israel is doing at the moment, genocide being the main one, torture and rape of prisoners the others.  
What if Max shows support for Azov, Pravy Sector or Aidar? Zelensky has tweeted at least three times pictures of soldiers with Nazi patches.  

Was going to post similar, Keltjens has apparently served in the IDF but I tolerate it because it's not waved in my face! I'm here for the football, nothing else

9 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

Football players shouldn't use personal accounts, which link to their club, to spread political messages. To me that should be a rule for every player regardless.

Make a alias etc., if you like, but keep it disconnected from the club.

There's a sliding scale of punishment based on how horrendous your view is from there and, IMO, MacPhersons is pretty far up it considering how close the country is to riots against immigrants. We literally have a player who's using their profile to instigate that, intentionally or not.

Not a fan at all of this baby-fication of MacPherson either. As if he's unaware 15yo who's just been led astray. He's followed Robinson for years, will know exactly what's happening across the UK, and knows exactly what that video is. He doesn't need excuses made for him.

11 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Was going to post similar, Keltjens has apparently served in the IDF but I tolerate it because it's not waved in my face! I'm here for the football, nothing else

Is it not also compulsory national service?

4 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Is it not also compulsory national service?

Yes, it’s that or a jail sentence.

Main hope is that club knew they couldn't sack him without paying off his contract or making a major payment in settlement, also going heavy on social media with a response creates a major shitstorm that means no other club will want to touch him, but also if he remains with us it's a distraction for the whole season.

Maybe this is a bit of a chicken move that makes it much easier to move him on. I guess as a club that's not exactly a prime destination, it's not a great look to be sacking or publicly flogging players and would hurt efforts to sign targets. Trying to convince myself this is a diplomatic move and he f**ks off quietly