Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Surely not just me that thinks Essel had a worse game than MacPherson?  Counted about 3 dives from him and not really sure what he offers.

i get Cammy is not flavour of the month with any of us and by all accounts didn’t play great but I do appreciate that the times he did give the ball away he was at least trying to be positive with it.  So many of our players will happily play the easy ball back to the defenders rather than take a chance to get it forward.  A big reason why we create so little.  

Holt should start next game but if someone drops out, Essel would be before MacPherson for me.  

1 minute ago, Buggs said:

Surely not just me that thinks Essel had a worse game than MacPherson?  Counted about 3 dives from him and not really sure what he offers.

i get Cammy is not flavour of the month with any of us and by all accounts didn’t play great but I do appreciate that the times he did give the ball away he was at least trying to be positive with it.  So many of our players will happily play the easy ball back to the defenders rather than take a chance to get it forward.  A big reason why we create so little.  

Holt should start next game but if someone drops out, Essel would be before MacPherson for me.  

MacPherson was a disgrace. The times he lost the ball “trying to be positive” were absolutely moronic. Trying to play driven passes to someone standing directly behind an opponent when he’s got multiple other options on. Every time he does it as well he either throws his hands up blaming someone else or flies into a stupid tackle. His positional sense and reading of the game in general is atrocious. No surprise at all we started to pass the ball much better when he went off.

Agree with the above about Carey playing as the deep lying playmaker. That idea and Clark - the consummate penalty box striker throughout his career - playing as a midfielder need to get do get to f**k.

4 minutes ago, Buggs said:

Surely not just me that thinks Essel had a worse game than MacPherson?  

MacPherson was usual. Look good doing things, nothing ever comes off, and it's blamed on others.

He's not up to this level though, especially not as the deepest midfielder and left alone v 2/3 opponents. Just suicide stuff from Levein.

Essel done almost nothing all game, to the point I can't remember if he actually got subbed off or not (he did I think?). Him going to the right was probably instruction but it felt like trying to hide from the middle of the park because he didn't want the responsibility of driving forward with it.

Holt embarrassed both when he came on. He's nothing more than a bog, lower half, top flight CM, yet he looked incredible in comparison to those two.

At least Essel has potential, MacPherson is shite and has been for three years - in every aspect that’s required of a good midfielder - he’s shite. How he’s still here and starting games in 2024 under his third different manager is absolutely criminal. He’s a total idiot of a person too who has embarrassed the club and basically been let off with it - sums up the standards at the club of late. 

That we are a month into the league season with the transfer window closed and still without a number one goalkeeper and an experienced centre half is an absolute joke. It’s cost us points already and will continue to which isn’t acceptable. Every season we end up underprepared for it starting and it puts us on the back foot - while clubs like Motherwell get their business done and tend to pick up a good few wins early in the season. The club need to get the finger out and start operating like a proper professional outfit.  

2 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

The club need to get the finger out and start operating like a proper professional outfit.  

This the professional football club with a 7 figure turnover that can't even hire a goalkeeping coach.

4 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

At least Essel has potential,

I’ve yet to see much of it to be honest.   Has he had a game yet where he’s not been pretty anonymous?

We are just far too easy to play against and a big reason is we have no defensive identity. We don’t play a high press and we don’t fall back into a low block. We just have guys that chase the ball like a collie dug as their opponents run off them at will.

At set pieces we don’t mark man to man but we don’t mark zonal either. Probably explains why we lose so many goals from crosses. Easy to say we need to bring in experienced goalie and centre half but they won’t dictate the way we play. That is solely on the coaching staff and they have failed to do this as did the previous 2 staff.

One last thing regarding the goalkeeper coach. While I accept it’s not always possible to get the person you want in, there is no excuse for not having anyone. Even use the academy coach to do the warm up. It’s not as if the 2 keepers stripped today wouldn’t know them. That would at least give them a proper warm up rather than the nonsense we have seen the last couple of games.

12 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

At least The Webbmeister will now see that it's imperative that he gets the players that Levein needs. f**k scoreboards, TVs and the car park. Get a goalie, a LB and a CB in.

At least if he delivered the car park and scoreboard we’d know why there is no money being spent on the team. So far he has delivered hee haw apart from a sign that looks as if it was bought off Amazon 

38 minutes ago, Buggs said:

i get Cammy is not flavour of the month with any of us and by all accounts didn’t play great but I do appreciate that the times he did give the ball away he was at least trying to be positive with it. 

Today, and indeed whenever I've seen him play which is likely every minute he's played in a Saints shirt, he's pretty adept at f**king up the easy balls too. Today when he underhit a 10 yard pass sideways, resulting in lost posession and him chasing down the opponent who intecepted the ball, fouling him and getting a booking was absolutely textbook Cammi. That right there is a 10 second looped .gif of his entire Saints career. It is staggering that our manager seems to regard him as a nailed on starter.

Don't really like saying it because he's really annoyed me recently but we missed Adama Sidebeh today. My shout was to play Kirk as a straight swap but he went with an aging and unfit Clark to play more as a midfielder than striker. Matt Smith was usually further up the park.

If it's taken Webb, and the rest of the club, this long to figure out we're at least 3 top flight quality players shy of being good enough then we're f**ked regardless.

10 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Showed on sportscene, that it wasn’t even a corner,the last one,Ross let it go over,never touched it ffs!

Maybe just me but I'm more bothered about us not being able to defend the corner rather than how it was given.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe just me but I'm more bothered about us not being able to defend the corner rather than how it was given.

So am I,but var is there for errors like that surely? Having looked at the laws,var only goes as far back as the corner,but can go back a lot of phases for goals 🤷‍♂️

Edited by glenrothes 1884 saint

1 hour ago, Buggs said:

I’ve yet to see much of it to be honest.   Has he had a game yet where he’s not been pretty anonymous?

He certainly wouldn’t be starting if I was picking what I thought was our strongest team but he’s 19 and in a new country and league so will give him time to adjust and settle. 

MacPherson on the other hand is one of our most experienced players with loads of games playing in this league and he’s categorically not good enough and shouldn’t be anywhere near the club. 

37 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Showed on sportscene, that it wasn’t even a corner,the last one,Ross let it go over,never touched it ffs!

Live I thought he tipped it over and thought well he was dealing with it so 👍 good. Although even more infuriating that he watched it all the way and it wasn't touched but was still penalised.

The VAR wait in the first half was an utter shambles though. Not seen it again so no idea if it was a missed pen or just a farce though. Either way it was just a mess. 

The reason I mention it it is are Saints obviously keen to increase revenue through all the routes, fans on seats, hospitality etc. that's very difficult when the product on the pitch is poor compounded by the VAR shit show makes the likes of today was a miserable spectacle especially for those who are casual football fans. There's absolutely nothing you can do about most of it either.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe