Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The Levein thing is a bit of quandry. On one hand he has done exactly what was needed, on the other it is hardly awe inspiring stuff.

As saints fans we have been spoilt by two decades of good management and stewardship. That does not in any way excuse what has happened over the last couple of years though.

As the change in ownership starts to sink in, and the changes are rung, we have an old head in charge of the team and some of his signings seem good. Compared to this time last year when we seemed doomed by christmas, it is a marked improvement. 

I suppose the long and short of it for me is, we dropped the ball some time ago and there is no magic fix. Levein is not the future of the club, but i think he has an important role in the present. We can't go around firing each manager willy nilly like other clubs have, it gets you nowhere.  IMHO let him build something for the next manager to do something with.

16 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Mr Brown has found another club. 

6th tier of English football better than I was expecting for him tbh.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

6th tier of English football better than I was expecting for him tbh.

Thought the same. Although they look like they're in for a tough season. Looked them up earlier. 1 win in 7 or something like that this season so far. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

20 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Mind when CD played him on the left of a back three for a few games? That was some laugh. 

Won at Pittodrie and Tannadice with in at cb,so I was certainly laughing ,he was really decent in both games,getting f**ked about all over the back 3/5 f**ked up his game 

46 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Thought the same. Although they look like they're in for a tough season. Looked them up earlier. 1 win in 7 or something like that this season so far. 

That'll explain it tbf.

A dreadful player who by the end had zero confidence in himself. Horrendous mix and probably stunted his entire career now.

28 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Won at Pittodrie and Tannadice with in at cb,so I was certainly laughing ,he was really decent in both games,getting f**ked about all over the back 3/5 f**ked up his game 

Tannadice game came to mind as soon as typed that. Fair to say we won with more than a helping hand that day. Can’t recall the Pittodrie win he played left CB in but fair enough. 

Simply wasn’t good enough. My abiding memory of him will be he was a footballer that didn’t want the ball.. Looked utterly petrified if he ever received it. Classic case of a “that will do” signing, an attitude that has permeated the club in recent seasons sadly. 

Edited by Costanza

I sometimes feel like Brown doesn't deserve all the hate he gets. 

I firmly agree he was woefully short on ability and that he has now found his level at a team which appear to be right at the bottom of the sixth tier. 

He always looked like a competition winner. However, to his credit he sometimes looked like a competition winner playing well rather than a competition winner playing badly. Obviously a competition winner playing well shouldn't be in the Scottish top flight but. 

I'm sure against Galatasaray he beat about four men down the wing by tripping up over the ball past each one of them, confusing them into letting him by. Looked rubbish in the process but still beat four Galatasaray players. 

When Callum left, Brown was one of the first to come out in the press and criticise him.

He might have been correct but Callum was also the reason he had a decent gig in the top flight of Scottish football. Disappointing lack of loyalty and made me lose a bit of respect for him.

Thought he might be able to pick up a club higher up due to his CV but he will always have that goal against the Rangers!

9 minutes ago, LarsGunnar Carlstrands Dog said:

When Callum left, Brown was one of the first to come out in the press and criticise him.

He might have been correct but Callum was also the reason he had a decent gig in the top flight of Scottish football. Disappointing lack of loyalty and made me lose a bit of respect for him.

Thought he might be able to pick up a club higher up due to his CV but he will always have that goal against the Rangers!

And his cup final cameo and medal 

6 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I sometimes feel like Brown doesn't deserve all the hate he gets. 

I firmly agree he was woefully short on ability and that he has now found his level at a team which appear to be right at the bottom of the sixth tier. 

He always looked like a competition winner. However, to his credit he sometimes looked like a competition winner playing well rather than a competition winner playing badly. Obviously a competition winner playing well shouldn't be in the Scottish top flight but. 

I'm sure against Galatasaray he beat about four men down the wing by tripping up over the ball past each one of them, confusing them into letting him by. Looked rubbish in the process but still beat four Galatasaray players. 

I always thought he got too hard a time, last season though was dreadful. That attempted chest back at St Mirren.

Brown was okay, and then his head completely went and you’d rather play Twitterboy in his position. That’s how bad it went. 

I think Brown got so much criticism because it was obvious he wasn't good enough and he was a perfect example of everything wrong with the club at that time.

You then also adding in him replacing Rooney, and to a lesser extent McNamara, who fans liked and I think it was just pure frustration at watching such a lesser player playing in their position. 

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Brown was okay, and then his head completely went and you’d rather play Twitterboy in his position. That’s how bad it went. 

Brown was OK in a back 4, but playing in a back 5 was not his thing.

I think some of the criticism is a bit harsh and maybe like Crawford, Enoch MacPherson and others is held up at players who signalled the beginning of the decline.

I think Brown was suited to football 20+ years ago when right backs were expected just to be right backs. Guys like John McQuillan, would be slated in today's game. 

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Brown was OK in a back 4, but playing in a back 5 was not his thing.

I think some of the criticism is a bit harsh and maybe like Crawford, Enoch MacPherson and others is held up at players who signalled the beginning of the decline.

I think Brown was suited to football 20+ years ago when right backs were expected just to be right backs. Guys like John McQuillan, would be slated in today's game. 

Nah, sorry.  John McQuillan was very much an overlapping right back who was much better than Brown. I'd say Brown is the worst right back to have played a significant number of games Saints have had in the McDiarmid era. Some of the criticism might seem harsh, but at the end of the day, the lad was happy to take his wages.