Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

40 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Nah, sorry.  John McQuillan was very much an overlapping right back who was much better than Brown. I'd say Brown is the worst right back to have played a significant number of games Saints have had in the McDiarmid era. Some of the criticism might seem harsh, but at the end of the day, the lad was happy to take his wages. 

Not saying Brown was as good as JM, but some players are better suited to different times and era's and for me Brown is a right back in a 4-4-2 and nothing else. I think players, like McQuillan wouldn't have coped as wing backs in today's game. Equally, guys like Alexander Arnold could never have played as an old school full back, back in the day.

These seem reasonably priced for scottish cup 10th anniversary shirt and scarf.

https://x.com/SJFCDirect/status/1832078559470399679?s=19

Edited by derektaylor84

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Go away for the day and James Brown is being compared to John McQuillan. Feels like I'm tripping. 

Meh, Ali Crawford > Ali McCann and you all know it really! 🤣

To be fair, I wasn't comparing the two players, more making the point that certain players would have been better suited to a different era. Paul Ramsey would've been sent off before even getting on the pitch today. 

Wonder what players over, say the Brown era, would have been much better, or worse, in the current game? 

10 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Meh, Ali Crawford > Ali McCann and you all know it really! 🤣

To be fair, I wasn't comparing the two players, more making the point that certain players would have been better suited to a different era. Paul Ramsey would've been sent off before even getting on the pitch today. 

Wonder what players over, say the Brown era, would have been much better, or worse, in the current game? 

You're assuming that these players, who played to tactics and instructions given 20-30 years ago, couldn't adapt to today's game. You may be right in some cases. I think you picked a bad example though. McQuillan would easily adapt to today's game and would absolutely improve the current team.

McQuillan was an athletic, overlapping right-back who got up and down the pitch all afternoon and had a brilliant football brain - if anything he'd have made an ideal wing-back and would have been far better in the position than many of the players we've attempted to crowbar into that position over the last few years.

I still don't really understand why we keep insisting on playing wing-backs anyway. It very rarely works, and hasn't really worked for us since  we lost Rooney on the right and the Booth/Tanser option on the left.

I think some of the criticism of Brown is a bit harsh, BTW. He was basically a back-up player who was never going to be a first choice starter but did an OK job for us when asked to play in a number of positions outside his comfort zone (remember Davidson playing him at LWB?).  Up until his last season when he seemed to just lose all confidence and completely fall apart, I thought he was generally alright. From what I've seen so far, he certainly contributed more than guys like Connor Smith or McPake have done or are ever likely to.

Is the Charles Dunne deal still on the table?

Would have been perfect to get someone in at the start of the international break to get up to speed etc!

They must really want Dunne otherwise  you would think they'd have moved onto other targets?!

He evidently isn't jumping at the chance to join Saints thats for sure. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Levein facing disciplinary action for criticising the decision to send Sanders off v Motherwell.

6 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Why are the club not responding to the comments in the press about Saints "Accepting" the Hampden decision was correct when that's clearly not the case based on the fact Levein is still going around saying he doesn't accept it? 🤦‍♂️

Levein ≠ St Johnstone

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Levein facing disciplinary action for criticising the decision to send Sanders off v Motherwell.

Maybe a touchline ban for CL means he can sit in the stand and see what we are watching from our seats - i.e McPherson shouldn't be on the pitch, Wright needs to stay on the right side whilst Carey plays on the left. 

39 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He made these comments kitted out in St Johnstone gear while inside Mcdiarmid Park directly following a St Johnstone game as part of a mandatory media obligation the club has to meet. 

Aye but the club will have officially accepted the decision when speaking to the authorities.

He's just an employee with an opinion.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye but the club will have officially accepted the decision when speaking to the authorities.

He's just an employee with an opinion.

What decision/s regarding the game against Rangers is Levein apparently still disputing?

ETA I’ve just read it was the goal for Rangers that Levein is still maintaining was the wrong decision.  He must be one of the few people that still believe the decision was wrong, despite presumably watching the video evidence.  If it wasn’t for the fact Levein is such an experienced manager I would suggest he is already showing signs of being under significant pressure.  

Edited by Shadow Play

9 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

What decision/s regarding the game against Rangers is Levein apparently still disputing?

ETA I’ve just read it was the goal for Rangers that Levein is still maintaining was the wrong decision.  He must be one of the few people that still believe the decision was wrong, despite presumably watching the video evidence.  If it wasn’t for the fact Levein is such an experienced manager I would suggest he is already showing signs of being under significant pressure.  

He's not disputing the ref's whistle or the timing of it, it's the shove on Sanders by Dessers he's referring to.

1 hour ago, Gekko said:

He's not disputing the ref's whistle or the timing of it, it's the shove on Sanders by Dessers he's referring to.

That’s not so bad then.  That’s down to an opinion, rather than not understanding how VAR works - if that makes sense.  

Personally I’m looking for my defender to be much stronger and quicker in a situation like that.