Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

I can’t remember properly, and it might just be as a result of my mindset at the moment concerning the club, but did he not leave under a cloud the last time with his coaching capabilities questioned? 

Apologies if that’s not the case and I’ve completely made it up. 

The fact that Accies were willing to let him go so soon after joining, even if we paid a fee, might possibly be an indication of his coaching capability. 

Just had a look at some comments on a few sites, but you never know. Perhaps he is better than having no coach at all.

I think it's important we don't wallow into this hole where everything the club does it picked over in a search for negatives.

We needed to get the goalkeeper coach thing sorted and they've done it. Marshall was at Aberdeen for long enough after McInnes took him back and has coached keepers at a high level for long time now, including at Saints previously.

Hopefully it signals an improvement in the players at our disposal.

How have people rated Sinclairs performances so far? 

There have obviously been a couple of errors coming for balls into his area but personally think he has looked better than Rae so far. He doesn’t seem to have the confidence/experience to come and command his area yet. You would hope that would be something a coach could help him improve on as he has the size to potentially do that well. 

Edited by DunkeldRoad01

28 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

How have people rated Sinclairs performances so far? 

Inexperienced. 

You can see why he's highly rated but he lacks the knowledge you get from playing. I'd be willing to give him another few games to see how it goes if Rae is the alternative. 

On Marshall, I've no idea. Hinchcliffe was roundly mocked by United fans yet seemed to be fine for us.

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

The fact that Accies were willing to let him go so soon after joining, even if we paid a fee, might possibly be an indication of his coaching capability. 

Just had a look at some comments on a few sites, but you never know. Perhaps he is better than having no coach at all.

Or we gave them two players on loan cheap,to soften the blow,he worked with Del,so I’ve every confidence in his ability

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Inexperienced. 

You can see why he's highly rated but he lacks the knowledge you get from playing. I'd be willing to give him another few games to see how it goes if Rae is the alternative. 

On Marshall, I've no idea. Hinchcliffe was roundly mocked by United fans yet seemed to be fine for us.

Yeah, neither should be our first choice goalkeeper at the moment but if I had to persist with one, Sinclair would be more worthwhile I think. 

2 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

Yeah, neither should be our first choice goalkeeper at the moment but if I had to persist with one, Sinclair would be more worthwhile I think. 

I'd agree with this. Sinclair gives me less fear and possibly with a run of games between now and the next window, we could see some real improvements in him.

I'm not too concerned about who is GK coach, so long as we have one. Unlike other positions, the fundamental haven't shifted really.

Regardless of who the manager is or could be, we have the squad that we have. Most are at the right end of their careers and so you should (if we had the right coaches) see improvements with experience.

What is key is that between now and the next window opening, we do not see ourselves cut adrift in any way.

I'm sure Webb would be the first to say that he is no expert on Football and so has to defer knowledge to the 'football people'. But equally, he isn't new to it and isn't stupid. If we are miles off it, then you'd think he would act. There is an argument to say that MacPherson is such on trial with Webb as Levein it. Last thing Webb wants is a wee old boys network propping each other up and if he could start from scratch he'd have one or both being either folk he knows or knows will be truthful and honest with him.

In his head, he is probably not wanting to change anything too soon and give it 3 months. If changes are to be made (and realistically you are lookimg at Oct at the earliest), then needs yo be done in time to allow whoever comes in to assess the squad and hit the ground running in the next window

Given the '6 pointer' importance of Ross County on Saturday, is it worth appealing Kimpioka's red card?

Not sure of the rules in terms of when appeal must be submitted this week / appeal result being made, but based on evidence from Utd v Rangers when Utd player got yellow for a worse challenge and the views of Dermot Gallacher and pundits etc, surely worth a go.

If nothing else, by placing an appeal, even if it were to be rejected, would it free Kimpioka up for Ross County game or is it a fast track process?

The thought of Clark up front on his own is enough for me to say appeal please.

Whilst Kirk is a good option, I don't think he would be maximised on his own, nor fair on him, and much better with Kirk and Kimpioka IMO with Clark on the bench.

43 minutes ago, Nat King Goals said:

If nothing else, by placing an appeal, even if it were to be rejected, would it free Kimpioka up for Ross County game or is it a fast track process?

They seem to have been pretty good at having the hearings sharp the last few years. From the top of my head, Aberdeen’s appeal of Shinnie’s red in 22/23 was heard within a few days and seem to remember Kilmarnock having one the very next day, last season. 

48 minutes ago, Nat King Goals said:

Given the '6 pointer' importance of Ross County on Saturday, is it worth appealing Kimpioka's red card?

Not sure of the rules in terms of when appeal must be submitted this week / appeal result being made, but based on evidence from Utd v Rangers when Utd player got yellow for a worse challenge and the views of Dermot Gallacher and pundits etc, surely worth a go.

The thought of Clark up front on his own is enough for me to say appeal please.

Whilst Kirk is a good option, I don't think he would be maximised on his own, nor fair on him, and much better with Kirk and Kimpioka IMO with Clark on the bench.

HSF suggested worth an appeal as well.  

If it would stave off his suspension for a week or two then ideal. Missing the OF matches is bearable but we really need to be getting something from county on Saturday so be worth it.

8 minutes ago, Nat King Goals said:

Our team's disciplinary must've been pretty decent for the past decade then, but always good to know...

It just means that your team’s red cards have been so obvious it’s never been worth appealing.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It just means that your team’s red cards have been so obvious it’s never been worth appealing.

We got two red cards overturned last year, FWIW.