Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just wasting money here. Take the gamble that you won't lose your first and second choice, and even if you do, having someone the manager rates as "the best of his age in the country" and an U19 international isn't exactly a disaster.

Keown yesterday was very much a "he will do" type of signing from the club and this seems the same. It's lazy business.

You are probably looking at £25,000 to £50,000 in wages for the two of them until the summer. It's likely money for nothing, just as it was for Hart, Doyle etc...

But if we do need them, they likely weaken the team.

I appreciate we needed to replace Anderson if they decided to let him go but it very much looks like they've gone for the convenient option. Anderson should only have been allowed to go if we had a suitable replacement lined up.

Mitchell is different but as touched on, we already have three keepers in the squad and if the manager feels he needs someone else, was there not a (likely) cheaper or longer-term option. Appreciate I'm speculating there but I'm not impressed.

Edited by Radford

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with our new policy of signing diddies who aren't good enough for the team currently ranked the 21st best in Scotland. Anderson for Keown was understandable given it was Ando's wish to move on and it wouldn't have been cricket to turn that down and it seems we made our minds up to let him go at the last minute. Signing Thistle's 4th choice goalkeeper just seems like a waste to be honest - We keep giving Hurst new contracts - surely you only do that if you think they're good enough to play in an emergency? 

If we're only in a position to sign one more player (not saying that we are) then I'd much rather we brought in a ball playing centre mid than Cammy Bell, who has been free to leave 3 of his last 4 clubs before the en d of his contract.

Edited by Kyle

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We'll throw in Miles Storey for free if it helps. 

f**k it, we'll add in Conor Sammon too, can't see Motherwell or Hearts being bothered. 

You wanting a home for Caldwell still? We'll take him and he can be our 2nd choice manager.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Yep.  They did this to us too.  Richard Foster was a perfectly acceptable player for Ross County that Jimmy Mac got rid of far too quickly.  Perfectly decent, and certainly didn't destroy the dressing room.  If anything, he seemed like a pretty good guy (with a lovely wife) who makes the most of his ability.

His wife's a currant bun - not so lovely.

If we manage to punt Keown AND Bell to you in this transfer window then Gerry Britton and Gary Caldwell deserve knighthoods.

Was pleased when we signed Bell but he was utterly hopeless and visibly unfit. If he gets another Premier gig he’s the luckiest man in the world. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yep.  They did this to us too.  Richard Foster was a perfectly acceptable player for Ross County that Jimmy Mac got rid of far too quickly.  Perfectly decent, and certainly didn't destroy the dressing room.  If anything, he seemed like a pretty good guy (with a lovely wife) who makes the most of his ability.

He seems like an utter w**k tbh. Take a look at his wedding pictures - I’d have him sacked for that alone.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

You are probably looking at £25,000 to £50,000 in wages for the two of them until the summer. It's likely money for nothing, just as it was for Hart, Doyle etc...

But if we do need them, they likely weaken the team.

I appreciate we needed to replace Anderson if they decided to let him go but it very much looks like they've gone for the convenient option. Anderson should only have been allowed to go if we had a suitable replacement lined up.

Mitchell is different but as touched on, we already have three keepers in the squad and if the manager feels he needs someone else, was there not a (likely) cheaper or longer-term option. Appreciate I'm speculating there but I'm not impressed.

I don't really get your point here .We would have been paying Anderson to sit on the bench or in the stand anyway.Keown is ten years younger and obviously has/had some ability,and can be assessed in training etc as a potential signing for next season.Our coaching team are very good at developing and bringing out the best in defenders.Again with the goalkeeping situation Hurst does not have the ability to play at premiership level and the only reason that I can see for his contract extension was to let Sinclair go out on loan..Sinclair obviously has tremendous potential but is nowhere near being ready to be the backup keeper at this stage.He needs  games and lots of them  

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

I wont debate what you're saying about Hurst as I've not seen enough of him and long suspected that he probably isn't good enough given his loan spells, but we shouldn't have offered him a new contract every year just because he's one of our young players. We've done this with countless young players over the last few years and eventually seen them released in January. He's 23 now so he can't hide behind the excuse of being a youngster and neither can Tommy when it comes to actually playing him when is necessary. 

I'd have been fine with Bell at the start of the season but feel that a ball playing midfielder is a higher priority and I don't want to see another goalkeeper come in if it means we don't get that player. Bell has now been allowed to leave 3 of last 4 clubs early, two of them whilst playing in the championship, so I'd question whether he even still has the ability to justify a wage and a place in a squad at this level. 

Edited by Kyle

1 hour ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I don't really get your point here .We would have been paying Anderson to sit on the bench or in the stand anyway.Keown is ten years younger and obviously has/had some ability,and can be assessed in training etc as a potential signing for next season.Our coaching team are very good at developing and bringing out the best in defenders.Again with the goalkeeping situation Hurst does not have the ability to play at premiership level and the only reason that I can see for his contract extension was to let Sinclair go out on loan..Sinclair obviously has tremendous potential but is nowhere near being ready to be the backup keeper at this stage.He needs  games and lots of them  

If you get the Keown that appeared at Firhill for 6 months in Jan 17, its a great bit of business for the Saints. If you get the one that has been stealing a wage for 18 months, tough titties. The ability is there, but we havent seen it for a long time. Change of scenery might kick start his career. As for Bell...,,,,.please take him!!

59 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

If you get the Keown that appeared at Firhill for 6 months in Jan 17, its a great bit of business for the Saints. If you get the one that has been stealing a wage for 18 months, tough titties. The ability is there, but we havent seen it for a long time. Change of scenery might kick start his career. As for Bell...,,,,.please take him!!

They give us a bit of cover and it lets Anderson get some game time..Ando has slipped down the pecking order since the emergence of Kerr and Gordon but is still a good player..My only criticism of him is that to get the best out of him he needs to play alongside a strong character as he is not really a leader. His performances went down hill when he was captain here for a while and then picked up again after shaughnessy replace him in that role.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee