Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

As Widge says, with Comrie out on loan, I can't see Watson being allowed to leave, even if it's hard to see him getting a game at the moment. I suppose it's possible though that Wright would let him go then replace him with a loan bench filler from England. If Foster picked up an injury though...

O'Halloran rumours in the media seem to be picking up pace, although other Premiership clubs are credited with an interest too. No doubting his quality in my eyes but is he what we need? We're well stocked in midfield and could he play in the same side as Swanson? You'd imagine one of them would need to play further forward surely.

Are The Sun not usually fairly good with rumours concerning us?

I wouldn't be comfortable with Swanson and MOH either side in a four man midfield. Stick one of them beside MacLean with Spoony/Alston on the opposite flank of the other, and I'd be delighted.

We definitely need more pace in attack.

As Widge says, with Comrie out on loan, I can't see Watson being allowed to leave, even if it's hard to see him getting a game at the moment. I suppose it's possible though that Wright would let him go then replace him with a loan bench filler from England. If Foster picked up an injury though...
O'Halloran rumours in the media seem to be picking up pace, although other Premiership clubs are credited with an interest too. No doubting his quality in my eyes but is he what we need? We're well stocked in midfield and could he play in the same side as Swanson? You'd imagine one of them would need to play further forward surely.

I'm not against O'Halloran rejoining in the slightest. The pitches are in much better condition and we're lacking pace badly. I don't think he'd start, but if we're losing a game or need a goal then off the bench he could become valuable to say the least. I'd also even say if we're winning his pace takes the team out in one go some times.

My only worry is his heart and head wouldn't be in it. He'll get abuse if he's not up for the fight and ala Swanson's first game, he could be subject to all sorts from the crowd.

Robert Thomson wouldn't write anything about Saints unless he was confident in it but the O'Halloran stories aren't coming from him from what I can see.

It's someone called David Mccarthy who's put out the latest story. A scroll through his previous articles reveal a slew of Rangers based opinion pieces.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Not sure I get the logic of Rangers loaning us a player like O'Halloran. Would surely strengthen us, and – at least on paper – we're still battling them for a place in Europe.

Might help us take points from their other rivals though.

5 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Might help us take points from their other rivals though.

But might help us actually beat the likes of Partick Thistle too. Far more logical for Rangers to loan to a team in bottom half of the league with caveat he can't play against Rangers.

Not sure I get the logic of Rangers loaning us a player like O'Halloran. Would surely strengthen us, and – at least on paper – we're still battling them for a place in Europe.

The only logic is that they want him out their squad to open up a space/free up wages, and either don't see us as challenging them, will just accept the first offer, or will allow him to join whoever he wants.

Even then I'm not convinced we'd be his first choice to join, tbh. He no doubt knows he can perform here and that the manager knows him inside out, but it would be an admission he's failed, and he must know he'd get a lot of stick.

Its similar to May. I'd love him back, but I'd feel sorry for him if he ended up back here, as he's clearly failed despite his ambition.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

The only logic is that they want him out their squad to open up a space/free up wages, and either don't see us as challenging them, will just accept the first offer, or will allow him to join whoever he wants.

But even if this was a reason, could we realistically take on the burden of a chunk of his wages? For a player who we're not even sure fits into the team? I just can't see it.

But even if this was a reason, could we realistically take on the burden of a chunk of his wages? For a player who we're not even sure fits into the team? I just can't see it.

I doubt it. His wages were rumoured to have, at least, trebled when he joined Rangers. So even a 50% cut would surely see him as the highest earner.

He can't be worth that, not when we'll be handing out pay rises this month anyway.

I don't think Rangers see us as any threat to them, so can't imagine that'll be an issue for them. From their point of view, getting O'Halloran playing his best football at worst increases his attractiveness to suitors in the summer. From the player's point of view, it's somewhere he knows he can reach a high standard. I agree it could look like acceptance he's failed but disagree that'd be the case with May, who is the player I'd really like to see us get this month.

May needs a move to get games after over a year out and Saints would be perfect for him, under a manager who'd stick with him and fans who hold him in the highest regard.

8 hours ago, Radford said:

I don't think Rangers see us as any threat to them, so can't imagine that'll be an issue for them. From their point of view, getting O'Halloran playing his best football at worst increases his attractiveness to suitors in the summer. From the player's point of view, it's somewhere he knows he can reach a high standard. I agree it could look like acceptance he's failed but disagree that'd be the case with May, who is the player I'd really like to see us get this month.

Well maybe that's the only plausible, if tenuous, reason. But you'd think somewhere down south would be the better bet. Certainly the 'freeing up' wages for Rangers theory doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

May needs a move to get games after over a year out and Saints would be perfect for him, under a manager who'd stick with him and fans who hold him in the highest regard.

Do you think there's a realistic chance of May?

My biggest fear would be him returning and flopping, then ending up like Goodwillie.

Despite what's been reported to in the press, there is at least two players who's contract is up in the summer who have not even had one discussion about extension. One of them shocks me. No idea what brown is playing at leaving talks so late. I know hibs and Dundee have already been in contact ( it's not Swanson ) with one of them.

Brown had a moan during the summer following the Scottish Cup win, when he delivered no permanent summer signings as a reward for his manager, about renewing contracts too early. If he really is as tardy as he often gives the impression of being then he won't keep getting away with it.

On Stevie May, if Preston want him out getting games then surely Saints are the ideal club for that. They need somewhere that they can trust he'll be given time and opportunities to get back to his sharpest.

26 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Despite what's been reported to in the press, there is at least two players who's contract is up in the summer who have not even had one discussion about extension. One of them shocks me. No idea what brown is playing at leaving talks so late. I know hibs and Dundee have already been in contact ( it's not Swanson ) with one of them.

Mannus. Cheers.