The TV Coverage Thread

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to have Gerry Armstrong summarising today's game - one of those pundits who wants his own nation to do well but who is quite knowledgeable about the opposition. Sadly the evening kick-off has Pearce and Murphy. Danny at least knows a few of the players and has a good grasp of systems and tactics but he's fallen into the Lawerenceson trap of sounding like he'd be happier somewhere else entirely.

Then they have to ruin it by giving us 90 minutes of Sam fucking Matterface.

Anyway, this pearler of a guide has just been posted by BBC Northern Ireland...

No greenies left..............

I particularly enjoyed the concise and speedy delivery. I would be happy to take financial advice from that lady.

Don't know if this will get answered but out of ITV vs BBC, who do you think has the best Intro? And Best studio location?

The BBC's intro is intended to be versatile and useable in multiple formats, it's a bit bland whilst ITV's makes no sense whatsoever. Graphics aside, ITV wins on the music front. ITV uses 'La Mer' by Charles Trenet (the original version of the song) whilst BBC opted to record a new version of Édith Piaf's 'La Foule'. 

The reworked version is catchy, but you can tell that the singer doesn't speak a word of French. At times, the phonetic pronunciation makes her sound deaf: belting out blunt consonants and buttery vowels. The song is still a successful sound bite provider for the BBC's more extensive and varied coverage.

I prefer the BBC's Intro as it only appears once whilst welcoming you to ad-free bliss.

Buttery vowels. :lol:

Oh how I love your way with words Mon Dieu.

The singer (Izzy Bizu) has a beautiful voice, but some parts make her sound stone deaf when she squeezes out nasally notes. It's reminiscent of speaking when you have the flu. For anyone interested in comparing the two:

'Down With The Flu' by Izzy Bizu [Gibberish Version]

'La Foule' by Édith Piaf [French Version]

The BBC's intro is intended to be versatile and useable in multiple formats, it's a bit bland whilst ITV's makes no sense whatsoever. Graphics aside, ITV wins on the music front. ITV uses 'La Mer' by Charles Trenet (the original version of the song) whilst BBC opted to record a new version of Édith Piaf's 'La Foule'.

The reworked version is catchy, but you can tell that the singer doesn't speak a word of French. At times, the phonetic pronunciation makes her sound deaf: belting out blunt consonants and buttery vowels. The song is still a successful sound bite provider for the BBC's more extensive and varied coverage.

I prefer the BBC's Intro as it only appears once whilst welcoming you to ad-free bliss.

Mon Dieu!

Lawrenson hasn't talked any sense in the first 18 minutes of this Russia - Slovakia game

I can't stand him. Its the constant negativity that gets me, I mean, I can understand commentators sometimes talking pish as having to constantly give useful and interesting info for 90 minutes its probably hard to avoid sometimes. There's no need for him to be so negative though, he never credits good play, its always that the other team have done something wrong or played badly. As said, he just sound like he hates every minute of the job so I have no idea why they don't give it to somebody who wants to be there.

Danny Murphy is falling into the same trap as Lawro, he can be a good and interesting commentator but he just decided not to like a team or a player and then he will be relentlessly negative about them for the rest of the match, regardless of what they are actually doing on the pitch.

Archived