Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

44 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Oh no Connor, please come back.

He’s not very good is he. Mistake for 1st goal, turned inside out 3 or 4 times for 4th goal and mistake in first half that would have led to a goal had it not been for Butland.

Aberdeen look far better without him and results tell their own story. 

Tbf to him though, he’s being asked to anchor a poor midfield week on week so the manager has to take some responsibility for that.

He’ll surely not risk him vs Nice or Spurs ?

He had a very poor game last night granted, but the comments regarding Barron based on that alone are a bit of hyperbole. He was just voted our player of the month and has made a pretty good start to his Rangers career.

As @Grangemouth Bairnmentions, I feel he is being left to do a lot of work himself, which is exacerbated by ludicrous subs (yes Dowell, I'm looking at you) which leaves him totally isolated.

As far as our list of problems go, Barron doesn't even feature on it.

58 minutes ago, AJF said:

He had a very poor game last night granted, but the comments regarding Barron based on that alone are a bit of hyperbole. He was just voted our player of the month and has made a pretty good start to his Rangers career.

As @Grangemouth Bairnmentions, I feel he is being left to do a lot of work himself, which is exacerbated by ludicrous subs (yes Dowell, I'm looking at you) which leaves him totally isolated.

As far as our list of problems go, Barron doesn't even feature on it.

We were classed as being bitter for laughing at him going to Rangers. We couldn't believe he was going in to start.

He has lots of potential but he'll likely never realise it now. He was inconsistent for us, that's not going to go down well with you.

Ridiculous how Rangers have got themselves into a position that their best summer signing genuinely wouldn't get a game for us.

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’d say Barron being your beacon of hope and/or best summer signing is very high up your list of problems. 

17 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

We were classed as being bitter for laughing at him going to Rangers. We couldn't believe he was going in to start.

He has lots of potential but he'll likely never realise it now. He was inconsistent for us, that's not going to go down well with you.

Ridiculous how Rangers have got themselves into a position that their best summer signing genuinely wouldn't get a game for us.

We have went through a period of cost cutting that has required us to replace some experienced high earners that departed with lower budget, younger players e.g. Barron in to replace Jack/Lundstram and Jefte in to replace Barisic. We have apparently shaved £10m p/a off our wage budget so I think an initial drop off is probably to be expected.

Again, beacon of hope is complete hyperbole, but Barron and Jefte have been two of our more promising signings this season and have performed relatively well on the whole. They are both young and promising, but as you mention, consistency will be key.

I suppose my point is, Barron is getting torn down a lot for his performance last night (correctly, I may add) and used as the barometer of his performances, but that has really been the exception to his general performances for us.

Edited by AJF

40 minutes ago, AJF said:

We have went through a period of cost cutting that has required us to replace some experienced high earners that departed with lower budget, younger players e.g. Barron in to replace Jack/Lundstram and Jefte in to replace Barisic. We have apparently shaved £10m p/a off our wage budget so I think an initial drop off is probably to be expected.

Again, beacon of hope is complete hyperbole, but Barron and Jefte have been two of our more promising signings this season and have performed relatively well on the whole. They are both young and promising, but as you mention, consistency will be key.

I suppose my point is, Barron is getting torn down a lot for his performance last night (correctly, I may add) and used as the barometer of his performances, but that has really been the exception to his general performances for us.

Does this not sort of prove the point? The reason he’s been such a positive is because he was effectively part of a massive cost cutting exercise. And even in a summer where significant transfer fees have been spent he’s been touted as the best summer signing. 

As much as I was bitter when he signed, I also said on here that it didn’t really make any sense for either party. I don’t think it’s great for his development to be in that environment, and he isn’t going to elevate rangers to where they want to be - I’m not sure he even has the potential never mind doing it now. 

Unless you’re going to tell me the rangers fan base is going to be happy with a multiple year transition to downsize the budget and develop younger players to bridge the gap above you. 

I think it’s a big red flag. 

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Does this not sort of prove the point? The reason he’s been such a positive is because he was effectively part of a massive cost cutting exercise. And even in a summer where significant transfer fees have been spent he’s been touted as the best summer signing. 

As much as I was bitter when he signed, I also said on here that it didn’t really make any sense for either party. I don’t think it’s great for his development to be in that environment, and he isn’t going to elevate rangers to where they want to be - I’m not sure he even has the potential never mind doing it now. 

Unless you’re going to tell me the rangers fan base is going to be happy with a multiple year transition to downsize the budget and develop younger players to bridge the gap above you. 

I think it’s a big red flag. 

I feel your point conflated two issues though.

I said Barron (as a player) was not on a list of problems for us based on his performances.

You said that him being one of our better signings indicates there is an issue. I would agree with that, but I'd say that's a very different issue from my original point, which was an appraisal of Barron's performances for us rather than an appraisal of our overall transfer strategy.

Edited by AJF

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I feel your point conflated two issues though.

I said Barron (as a player) was not on a list of problems for us based on his performances.

You said that him being one of our better signings indicates there is an issue. I would agree with that, but I'd say that's a very different issue from my original point, which was an appraisal of Barron's performances for us rather than an appraisal of our overall transfer strategy.

I wasn’t trying to disprove what you said though, but the two are clearly linked. 

It’s a bit like this time last season when Nicky devlin was arguably our best summer signing. Good for him but indicative of the recruitment we’d done and overall malaise of the team. 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I wasn’t trying to disprove what you said though, but the two are clearly linked. 

It’s a bit like this time last season when Nicky devlin was arguably our best summer signing. Good for him but indicative of the recruitment we’d done and overall malaise of the team. 

Yeah, I totally get that, I just think saying Barron has been playing well for us and saying our overall recruitment hasn’t been great can both be true.