Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

17 hours ago, alta-pete said:

This is what gets me. Football players are - football players. They’re not scions of the community (see ‘Broony’ above for adequate mirror deflection) and, to be a ‘midfield general’ or an ‘enforcer’ or whatever other term you want, they don’t play nice.

They have worked awful hard to get where they have. That they might not have the nous to see how the pitch and real life are distinct areas shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone.

Absolutely some have done some terrible things off the pitch. I doubt I’d want to spend time in many of their company. But it seems every other fan wants to jump on any teams signings while turning the absolute blind eye to whatever ne’er do-well has been, is, or is about to sign up, at their club.

Goodwillie, Lennon, Jackson, Gazza, Hateley, Bazza, McFadden, Stokes, Griffiths the list could go onwards from any spectrum of wrongdoing from alleged rape to proven wife beating to philandering with the boss’s wife to promiscuity to wilful tax evasion (irony not lost) to goodness knows what.

There’s lots of nasty people out there. Snowflakes and good guys rarely make the starting XI. To suggest that some sort of moral code becomes a precursor for who’s allowed to play? I’ll leave that to the PnB masses to set the bar based, of course, on their own team’s signing policies.

Me? If he’s a player, adds something to my team and previous misdemeanours have been resolved, it’s the end of the discussion.

^^^
Has no problem with giving the burd a quick jab if she steps out of line.

33 minutes ago, bennett said:

What are Uefa like.....

UEFA Europa League Qualifier 1st Round Update:

Home - Thursday 12 July

Away -  Tuesday 17 July

Kick offs to be advised

I couldn't think of a more fitting location for a bonfire to "celebrate" TBH........

1 hour ago, sjc said:

I couldn't think of a more fitting location for a bonfire to "celebrate" TBH........

I'm surprised they didn't try to get the first leg away so they could display their new Orange away kits on July 12th...

Anthony Stokes is convicted of assault, about to sign for St Mirren and not a word is said about it.  Flanagan is convicted of assault, just signed for Rangers, and the moral guardians of P&B think he's worse than Hitler.

The double standards on display are shocking.  Elvis Impersonators are people, too.

Anthony Stokes is convicted of assault, about to sign for St Mirren and not a word is said about it.  Flanagan is convicted of assault, just signed for Rangers, and the moral guardians of P&B think he's worse than Hitler.
The double standards on display are shocking.  Elvis Impersonators are people, too.

I actually agree with you. A collectors item.

Have you checked the St Mirren thread?

Didnt think so

Where is his assault on the Elvis impersonator mentioned?
I havent checked recently either. Although I do know if at least one St Mirren fan who objected to his signing on the basis of being a bigot.

While we are here, and this is a genuine question, would you expect the exact same response to Flanagans crime as Stokes?

FWIW, I wouldnt want Stokes at Falkirk despite his status in his previous spell, as he is a horrible wee fanny.

I did check and it isn't mentioned - which is rather unfortunate.  As for your question...obviously I was being a little tongue in cheek but there is a serious point which is that the overreaction to Flanagan has more than a hint of hypocrisy to it.  What's your own view?

He's a player with baggage - a conviction and a long history of injuries - but he seems has some talent too.  I'm pleased that the deal didn't drag on like ours often do.  He/his agent and our DoF seemingly worked quickly and effectively to reach an outcome so there's clearly some harmony between Flanagan and Allen...

I did check and it isn't mentioned - which is rather unfortunate.  As for your question...obviously I was being a little tongue in cheek but there is a serious point which is that the overreaction to Flanagan has more than a hint of hypocrisy to it.  What's your own view?
He's a player with baggage - a conviction and a long history of injuries - but he seems has some talent too.  I'm pleased that the deal didn't drag on like ours often do.  He/his agent and our DoF seemingly worked quickly and effectively to reach an outcome so there's clearly some harmony between Flanagan and Allen...
I am not sure a conviction of assault is worthy of villifying a young laddie. I know loads of good guys who have been done for assault. Circumstances matter though and laying into a woman is worse. I dont know the particulars of Flanagans case though so have nothing to say on him tbh.

Again with Stokes, I would prefer he didnt play for Falkirk ever again because he is a nasty wee bigot, not because he was done for assault.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is nothing new. See various threads about Ched Evans, David Goodwillie, Craig Thomson et al.