Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

1 minute ago, LondonHMFC said:

Yep, but as it's bit of a name, folk seem to be losing their shit. He's scored less than five league goals in 18 months. 

He might well do a job, seems to keep himself relatively fit (which as a professional footballer you should be doing I guess), but I can see him being distinctly average.

Since joining Bournemouth his goals to minute ratio has been 1 per 361.25 minutes (4 goals in 1445 minutes), not exactly a stellar scoring record.  By comparison Carlton Cole had a goalscoring record of 1 per 322 minutes (3 in 966) in his last season for West Ham before signing for Celtic

Not sure it’s an ‘odd’ transfer, don’t Gerrard & Defoe share the same Agent? It’s the type of connection we all hoped SG would bring to the club. It is a gamble for a guy nearing the end of his career perhaps, but one worth taking for a player of his calibre? Hell yes.
As for Steven Davis, even at 34, he’s still got at least a couple of seasons ‘working’ the middle of the park left in him I’m sure, (a quality player on the ball that we’ve been crying out for),he knows what to expect from our league and will be fine no problem. People might point to a reoccurring Achilles problem, but he carried that pretty much throughout his first stint with us. I’d love to see him back in the light blue.

11 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Not sure it’s an ‘odd’ transfer, don’t Gerrard & Defoe share the same Agent? It’s the type of connection we all hoped SG would bring to the club. It is a gamble for a guy nearing the end of his career perhaps, but one worth taking for a player of his calibre? Hell yes.
As for Steven Davis, even at 34, he’s still got at least a couple of seasons ‘working’ the middle of the park left in him I’m sure, (a quality player on the ball that we’ve been crying out for),he knows what to expect from our league and will be fine no problem. People might point to a reoccurring Achilles problem, but he carried that pretty much throughout his first stint with us. I’d love to see him back in the light blue.

It's odd, in terms of Defoes wages being reported as £75k a week when he joined Bournemouth, and with you having him for 18 months, it's highly unlikely you're not paying a massive chunk of that.

That's a monumental amount of money for a 35yo striker who's barely played, never mind scored regularly, for 18 months. 

Steven Davis' reported wage is £60k a week, again, he's unlikely to have taken a 50% cut to join.

Its a massive financial gamble, and if you can't make the CL Groups, you're looking at a huge loss increase on the already large £14m loss you just registered. You could easily be paying £90k a week for the two of them.

History repeating itself. Huge losses, and financial gambles, chasing a dream, and the fans are too desperate to win something they're just sitting back lettig it happen.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's odd, in terms of Defoes wages being reported as £75k a week when he joined Bournemouth, and with you having him for 18 months, it's highly unlikely you're not paying a massive chunk of that.

That's a monumental amount of money for a 35yo striker who's barely played, never mind scored regularly, for 18 months. 

Steven Davis' reported wage is £60k a week, again, he's unlikely to have taken a 50% cut to join.

Its a massive financial gamble, and if you can't make the CL Groups, you're looking at a huge loss increase on the already large £14m loss you just registered. You could easily be paying £90k a week for the two of them.

History repeating itself. Huge losses, and financial gambles, chasing a dream, and the fans are too desperate to win something they're just sitting back lettig it happen.

Hope that Robs got deep pockets then....

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

£90k a week for the two of them? The contract for Davis is reported to be £12k a week. No idea how much Rangers are paying for Defoe but I don't think Rangers will be paying any higher than £25k a week.

Umar Sidique and Ovie Ejaria's combined weekly salary could arguably have been higher so whilst it might seem like Rangers are going all in, they might not be spending any more than they were a few months ago.

3 minutes ago, thepundit said:

£90k a week for the two of them? The contract for Davis is reported to be £12k a week. No idea how much Rangers are paying for Defoe but I don't think Rangers will be paying any higher than £25k a week.

Umar Sidique and Ovie Ejaria's combined weekly salary could arguably have been higher so whilst it might seem like Rangers are going all in, they might not be spending any more than they were a few months ago.

As I say, I can't see Davis dropping almost £50k a week.

No chance Bournemouth will be paying £50k a week for a striker who won't even be at their club for 18 months. None.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As I say, I can't see Davis dropping almost £50k a week.

No chance Bournemouth will be paying £50k a week for a striker who won't even be at their club for 18 months. None.

Davis would only have been on that contract at Southampton until the summer so that was maybe a factor in his decision. 

In regards to Defoe, I would agree with you, but clubs down south wasting money is nothing new. You wouldn't have thought Norwich would cover most of Naismith's salary at Hearts for example.

4 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Davis would only have been on that contract at Southampton until the summer so that was maybe a factor in his decision. 

In regards to Defoe, I would agree with you, but clubs down south wasting money is nothing new. You wouldn't have thought Norwich would cover most of Naismith's salary at Hearts for example.

Davis had interest from Championship sides and Cardiff, it's not as if he had no choice.

And Naismith is a fair point. I still can't see any logic in it for Bournemouth, their main striker is linked with Chelsea, it would surely have to be an appealing deal for them to get rid of Defoe on loan.

Edited by RandomGuy.

90k a week for the pair? true the fans are desperate but I just can’t see it. Fair enough though, once you’ve had chance to scrutinise the exact details of each deal, please come back on and share it with the rest of us. It can then perhaps form the basis for further discussion? Until then, your wild speculations mean very little RG.

12 hours ago, nsr said:

Sevconians have short memories.

The diddies can't have it both ways.  We're either accused of being stuck in the late 17th C or having a  total memory block of events before 2012.  Which is it?  Mind you,  a diddy and joined-up thinking is about as congruous as the old fish on a bicycle trope.

I'm a bit 'meh' over Defoe and Davis.  They are definitely sticking-plaster jobs and not what we'd have wanted from the Gerrard revolution.  But then December was a bizarre month for us.  Yes, we reached my 15 point target BUT we had 4 games against the provincial* dross of Dundee, Hibs (x2) and Aberdeen  and only gained 3 points from the dozen available despite the game at Easter Road being the 2nd best performance of any team in Scotland this season to date.

So we're clearly an immature team with an immature manager and these two may possibly help to make us more streetwise - and may possibly add a touch of much needed guile.

We know what we'll get with Davis.  As for Defoe?  Let's hope his work doesn't leave us shipwrecked and that he'll be a man wed/sat/sun rather than Man Friday.

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Let's hope his work doesn't leave us shipwrecked and that he'll be a man wed/sat/sun rather than Man Friday.

:lol:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're sober enough to have meant that.

The diddies can't have it both ways.  We're either accused of being stuck in the late 17th C or having a  total memory block of events before 2012.  Which is it?  Mind you,  a diddy and joined-up thinking is about as congruous as the old fish on a bicycle trope.
I'm a bit 'meh' over Defoe and Davis.  They are definitely sticking-plaster jobs and not what we'd have wanted from the Gerrard revolution.  But then December was a bizarre month for us.  Yes, we reached my 15 point target BUT we had 4 games against the provincial* dross of Dundee, Hibs (x2) and Aberdeen  and only gained 3 points from the dozen available despite the game at Easter Road being the 2nd best performance of any team in Scotland this season to date.
So we're clearly an immature team with an immature manager and these two may possibly help to make us more streetwise - and may possibly add a touch of much needed guile.
We know what we'll get with Davis.  As for Defoe?  Let's hope his work doesn't leave us shipwrecked and that he'll be a man wed/sat/sun rather than Man Friday.

We all know, it seems that SG still has to get to grips with getting the best out of Morelos and Big Lafferty as a useful pair Kinc, adding Defoe to the mix, might just be the key to unlocking that wee conundrum?

4 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

We all know, it seems that SG still has to get to grips with getting the best out of Morelos and Big Lafferty as a useful pair Kinc, adding Defoe to the mix, might just be the key to unlocking that wee conundrum?

Is it time for me to slag big Girafferty again?  I actually think that Davis is the player to, possibly, make the lanky streak of piss look like a footballer just as he did before and just like Naismith did when they played together at Hearts.

Is it time for me to slag big Girafferty again?  I actually think that Davis is the player to, possibly, make the lanky streak of piss look like a footballer just as he did before and just like Naismith did when they played together at Hearts.

I know you’re not a big fan of Lafferty Kinc, but he’d still walk into any other side apart from the *****!
SG doesn’t have an embarrassment of riches up front, so could you see both Defoe and Morelos playing either side of him, picking up what he does best in the box? It might seem an unfashionable approach to a forward line these days, but whilst he’s in the squad let’s use him for what he’s always been pretty good at?

6 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I know you’re not a big fan of Lafferty Kinc, but he’d still walk into any other side apart from the *****!
SG doesn’t have an embarrassment of riches up front, so could you see both Defoe and Morelos playing either side of him, picking up what he does best in the box? It might seem an unfashionable approach to a forward line these days, but whilst he’s in the squad let’s use him for what he’s always been pretty good at?

I have a complete blindspot re Lafferty, Rab.  BUT I'd like to see us try  a 442 against Killy with Morelos and Defoe up front and Jack, Arfield, Davis and Candeias in the middle of the park.  We have to do something different to get away from December's torpor.

56 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

As an aside, Rab, with the diddies writing threads abouts threads about one of our players not getting cited by the CO, this is something to cheer one up in a fucking cauld early-morning Lanarkshire:

defoe.jpg.771c0c8879e95013bcaa9a1005eb84ae.jpg