Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

1 minute ago, bennett said:

Not being rude but I've got dozens of notifications and stand free demanding attention, besides we've been through this many times.

Aye, very good.  You do make me chuckle.

As I said, you can't really explain the antipathy towards  Dundee United.  You just feel that you ought to display some.

Warbs starting to admit his side are pish:

Mark Warburton says his goal at the start of the season was simply to be "highly competitive" in the Scottish Premiership and Rangers have done that.

"What I said at the start of the season, and I was very, very clear, was that we'd be highly competitive," the English manager told the media.

"You guys said about challenging Celtic and challenging Aberdeen."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37514660

So by highly competitive he meant bang average.  Funnily enough earlier this year his idea of what 'highly competitive' might mean seemed to be somewhat different:

“My expectation is that we have to go into that league and be highly competitive. I view highly competitive as that we’ve got to be a very, very tough team to beat and to break down and that we go into games expecting to win them...

“...It would be totally ignorant to say anything other than that but our job is to close the gap. How well we close that gap will be about how competitive we are but Rangers will never go into that league satisfied with being third or fourth.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-manager-mark-warburton-im-7689869

Or indeed:

“We have to win the league, that’s what we have to do,” he said. “To get into the Champions League you need to win the Premiership title, it’s that simple. Do that and you’re in the qualifying rounds. ‘Are we ready to win the title?’ is the obvious question.

We’ve got to make sure we’re more than highly competitive."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14702666.Ambitious_Warburton_keen_for_Rangers_to_emulate_Celtic__39_s_Champions_League_success/

I suppose technically he can say, from what I can see anyway, with some degree of honesty, that he never actually did say they would challenge for the league.  He may have been happy for his players to say that, and for the fans and media to assume that's what he meant by 'highly competitive', but they all took him the wrong way.  

Turns out he actually meant they wouldn't even compete with Celtic.  Or even be anywhere near Aberdeen.  Other folk said that, respectfully.  He just meant The Rangers would be mid-table.  That sort of highly competitive.

11 hours ago, bennett said:

Not being rude but I've got dozens of notifications and stand free demanding attention, besides we've been through this many times.

Just as a refresher then - I wouldn't like it slip from your memory.

I can't remember exactly when or how it started, either, but I can guess.

United weren't the only the team to vote against the Newco club being admitted directly into the top tier. We weren't even the first to announce.  Stephen Thomson may have been a bit out-spoken but he wasn't the only one.

Neither were we the first set of fans to serenade you all with a hearty rendition of YNRA - I recall Motherwell and ICT fans beating us to that and I'm sure some of the fans in the Third Division were also up for a little reminder.

We weren't the first of the Traitorous Top League sides that you met either - again ICT and Motherwell got there first, albeit both at Ibrox.

I suspect it all comes down to the boycott match and the hive-mind mentality of the average Bear.  It was the first time Rangers were going to play one of the the TTL teams away from home.  The Vanguard Bears and the Union Bears (and St Charles of Green) then decided this was the best way to 'hit the b*****ds in the pocket' and, in an attempt to manufacture some spurious justification, resurrected semi-forgotten memories of the 2009 abandoned match.  

So, really bennett, it all seems to come down to United being 'first to the ball'.  As I recall we were on that day in February 2013.  We still have that 100% record against your club.

6 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Warburton absolutely buckling under the pressure, backtracking and revisionism. Found out and now mentally unravelling.

This lengthy meltdown is going to be wonderful. 

Big Sutton got it spot on. The job's too big for him. I doubt he'll see out the season.

3 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Yup. Any manager is on a hiding to nothing taking that job though. The gloryhunting support need to win every week to feel better about their lives and if they are getting pumped from Celtic they'll batter their wives. They simply cannot take losing and the pressure on the manager due to this is immense. 

Can they afford to sack him though? Financially, I mean?

I don't think they can afford to. It never stopped them in the past though, so let's hope they can't, but they do, and they go under again. The The Rangers FC 2016.

Funny and ironic that the word zombies are associated with Fake Rangers but it does seem like it has become a graveyard for greedy overpaid dross and has beens to either round off or kill of their own careers. Joey Barton the latest casualty in a long line of career suicides.

Dead Rangers = Greed

Fake Rangers = Greed

Same mentality, lessons not learned apparently.

5 hours ago, The DA said:

Just as a refresher then - I wouldn't like it slip from your memory.

I can't remember exactly when or how it started, either, but I can guess.

United weren't the only the team to vote against the Newco club being admitted directly into the top tier. We weren't even the first to announce.  Stephen Thomson may have been a bit out-spoken but he wasn't the only one.

Neither were we the first set of fans to serenade you all with a hearty rendition of YNRA - I recall Motherwell and ICT fans beating us to that and I'm sure some of the fans in the Third Division were also up for a little reminder.

We weren't the first of the Traitorous Top League sides that you met either - again ICT and Motherwell got there first, albeit both at Ibrox.

I suspect it all comes down to the boycott match and the hive-mind mentality of the average Bear.  It was the first time Rangers were going to play one of the the TTL teams away from home.  The Vanguard Bears and the Union Bears (and St Charles of Green) then decided this was the best way to 'hit the b*****ds in the pocket' and, in an attempt to manufacture some spurious justification, resurrected semi-forgotten memories of the 2009 abandoned match.  

So, really bennett, it all seems to come down to United being 'first to the ball'.  As I recall we were on that day in February 2013.  We still have that 100% record against your club.

There was animosity well before any votes, shame you wasted your time typing that essay out.

Just now, bennett said:

There was animosity well before any votes, shame you wasted your time typing that essay out.

Enlighten us, then. I remember the bad feeling over the abandoned match - didn't one of the supporter groups take United to court - but that issue seemed to have been forgotten by 2012.  Where did the animosity come from? 

2 hours ago, bennett said:

I think United behaved badly over the abandoned match.  I'm guessing that's what you're referring to.

The idea that that might have prompted or justified a boycott three years later though, is of course laughable.