Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

Heather Watson has went out in the 1st round of Wimbledon to Annika Beck losing 12-10 but she had a chance to win when she had 3 match points in a row at 9-10.

Dan Evans who never won a match at Wimbledon before this year is now into round 3 where he will play Roger Federer.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed the Federer/Willis match, but saw brief highlights on the BBC website.  Naturally, Federer appeared to stay in 1st gear and probably wanted to give him 4 or 5 service games just for the crowd and for him to say he took some off Federer.  

As much as I'd class myself as pretty knowledgeable on the game, I had no idea there was pre-qualifier qualifiers!

I don't know about the French but the other three definitely have qualifiers for wild cards into qualifying for people that come through their tennis systems.  That's what Willis entered.

Murray was fantastic today. After going 3-1 down to Lu in the First he took the next 17 games with only three dropped.  He next faces Millman who isn't very good, he did take a set off Murray on a fast hard court at Brisbane. 

Is there no way that they can tell if it was in or not on they courts ?

I've got an idea. We'll use some ball tracking technology to check. Could even show it on the big screen to add some excitement for the crowd.

To stop players taking the piss we'll allow them to challenge the call 3 times a set. If they're right they keep their challenge. If they're wrong they lose it. Once they've lost all 3 they're shit out of luck and have to accept the officials decision.

Might suggest that to the LTA and see if they think it's a goer.

French Open & 2nd seed Muguruza lost and 3rd seed Radwanska survived.

Ana Konjuh had 3 match points to win before she injured her ankle when accidentally standing on a tennis ball trying to get a drop shot.

She carried on after getting her ankle strapped but lost the next 2 games to lose 9-7.

Tomorrow first on Cente Court is Del Potro v Wawrinka and Federer v Evans is last on.

The early match on court 2 sees Dustin Brown who beat Rafa Nadal last year against Nick Kyrgios. :guntoting  :guns

Del Potro is still lethal on serve and forehand, but that backhand of his has gone entirely. Such a shame he's reduced to slicing 75% of the time. On grass not such an issue as it stays low, but realistically that result should be a one off.

I didn't think his movement looked all that great either. Several times (from what little I saw of it) he was beaten by shots 1-2 yards inside the line that you'd expect Murray/Djoko to chase down no bother.

Archived