Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Murray was a goner at 3-0 down, I looked on Betfair and seen him at 7/1 so had a wee dabble as I thought that it should have been 3/1 or 4/1.  The return winner on break point was sensational.  Raonic went to the same side one too may times in pressure moments and Murray made him pay.  After that Murray seemed t0 be dialled in to his serving patterns, plus Raonic couldn't keep up the wonderful serving from the first part of the match.

Good old Florian Mayer who has had a dogged time of it lately won Halle.  It would be nice to see him get a wild card for Wimbledon after that showing.  The other wild cards being Dustin Brown, Radek Stepanek, James Ward, Alex Ward and Liam Broady.  Laura Robson and Katie Swan received wild cards on the women's side, but Robson retired from her match today.

The seeding for Wimbledon are finalised and are as follows:

1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Federer
4. Wawrinka
5. Nishikori
6. Raonic
7. Gasquet
8. Thiem
9. Cilic
10. Berdych
11. Goffin
12. Tsonga
13. Ferrer
14. Agut
15. Kyrgios
16. Simon
17. Monfils
18. Isner
19. Tomic
20. Anderson
21. Kohlschreiber
22. Lopez
23. Karlovic
24. Zverev
25. Troicki
26. Paire
27. Sock
28. Querrey
29. Cuevas
30. Dolgopolov
31. Sousa
32. Pouille

Murray will be seeded to one of 25-32 in the third round.

one of 13-16 in the fourth round.

one of 5-8 in the QF

one of 3 or 4 in the SF

Djokovic in the final.

The ideal draw would be Querrey or Cuaves in R3, Agut in R4, Gasquet or Thiem in QF, Wawrinka SF.

Although getting drawn against Federer wouldn't be a disaster, he is playing poorly and his serve and movement aren't anywhere near the level he was playing last year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Federer make an early exit if he was to get a dangerous floater in rounds 1-3

I think they're ability is getting hyped a bit too much as they got wins over Federer on grass going into this Wimbledon.  Federer is as poor now as he was in 2013 and will continue to be that way until he is fully recovered from injury.  Zverev certainly has the game to take a set or two from the top players but is still a bit green to see it out.  Thiem is a great attacking player but he errors too much to really threaten Djokovic or Murray.  Murray comfortably beat Zverev in the Australian Open.

I certainly don't see them as threats in the slams yet, although Thiem might just be at the US Open.  I would expect Thiem to qualify for the ATP Finals in November but wouldn't expect Zverev to make it.  Zverev is potentially better than Thiem and him and Kyrgios would certainly be in prime position in five to six years when all of the big four have retired.

Raonic is definitely growing on me.  I'm still not keen on his style of play.  But his interviews are always very classy and respectful.  A good c**t.

Archived