Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Roddick is out, and Hewitt in as his replacement.

It's a shame about Roddick, but I suspect Hewitt will be fine, at least he's got a personality and has actually played the game and against these guys in the last year.

I actually think ITV have it spot on at the French, Courier and Santoro are both really good.

Do you think the parting was maybe partly because Lendl knew Murray would take a while to recover from the back surgery and he either didn't want to be associated with that period in Murray's career or felt that there wasn't anything he could do to help Murray to be any better during that period anyway?

As you say, a very good appointment. Apart from the technical advice he adds, Murray also tended to do less ranting at the box when Lendl was there.

Good points but I thought that Lendl wanted to resume playing in seniors events. It's a very good appointment because Murray played his best tennis, winning Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open, when Lendl coached him. Murray's form improved after he ditched Mauresmo. I'm expecting another Murray-Djokovic final at Wimbledon and Lendl's return could tip the balance in Andy's favour.

Guest Flash

Good points but I thought that Lendl wanted to resume playing in seniors events.

Think that was one of the reasons given at the time but McEnroe said in an interview (last year, I think) that Lendl didn't actually enter any more senior events than he had done previously.

Lendl can't commit to playing more than a few seniors tour tournaments a year because of his back.  He retired because of his back.  As far as I am aware Lendl and Murray stopped working together as Lendl didn't want to commit to him for most of the year due to family commitments and his tennis academy commitments.  His youngest daughter is now 18.  So there is less family commitments and Murray doesn't need a coach all the time.

Personally I don't think Lendl would give two fucks if this fails or if they stayed together they failed in 2014.  He certainly doesn't care about his perceived coaching legacy.

It looks as though that the part time basis (of around twenty weeks a year) is a perfect match for each other once again.

Guest Flash

Lendl can't commit to playing more than a few seniors tour tournaments a year because of his back.  He retired because of his back.  As far as I am aware Lendl and Murray stopped working together as Lendl didn't want to commit to him for most of the year due to family commitments and his tennis academy commitments.  His youngest daughter is now 18.  So there is less family commitments and Murray doesn't need a coach all the time.

The reason Lendl gave at the time was to concentrate on his own projects, including playing in more of his own events.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10708087/Andy-Murray-splits-from-coach-Ivan-Lendl-after-two-year-partnership-which-saw-British-No-1-win-Wimbledon.html

Personally I don't think Lendl would give two fucks if this fails or if they stayed together they failed in 2014.  He certainly doesn't care about his perceived coaching legacy.

It looks as though that the part time basis (of around twenty weeks a year) is a perfect match for each other once again.

Do you think Murray will play some tournaments without Lendl being present next year, or do you think Murray may even choose to play a looser schedule to focus on peaking for the slams?

The reason Lendl gave at the time was to concentrate on his own projects, including playing in more of his own events.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10708087/Andy-Murray-splits-from-coach-Ivan-Lendl-after-two-year-partnership-which-saw-British-No-1-win-Wimbledon.html

We can play this game all day long.  http://en.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/336867.html 

Lendl may have said he would like to play in more senior events with time off, but that didn't materialise.  He played golf and helped coach his daughters in their golf career.

Mr Bairn:  I think we will see him play tournaments with Lendl not there.  I think Murray will continue with a similar schedule to this year.  Lendl will probably be there for Australia, Miami, Rome, French Open, Queens, Wimbledon, Cinci, US Open, Paris WTF.  Murray's training blocks will go back to Miami where Lendl lives.

Gasquet is jobbing to a guy who was a coach until about 2 years ago.  He's some boi.

He was 4-0 up in the first set as well.  :lol:

Edited to add: from 4-0 up he loses 7-6 6-2.

Guest Flash

We can play this game all day long.  http://en.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/336867.html 

Lendl may have said he would like to play in more senior events with time off, but that didn't materialise.  He played golf and helped coach his daughters in their golf career.

I wasn't disputing anything you said. Bishop Briggs said he thought Lendl had given up so he could play more seniors events. I said I recalled him saying that but he didn't actually do it, according to McEnroe.

You then said, or implied, he was never going to do this due to his back injury. So I gave the link to Lendl's quote at the time.

So, what we have is Lendl giving a reason for stopping coaching Murray which turned out to be less than true. Which is the point I was making when replying to Bishop Briggs.

I wasn't disputing anything you said. Bishop Briggs said he thought Lendl had given up so he could play more seniors events. I said I recalled him saying that but he didn't actually do it, according to McEnroe.

You then said, or implied, he was never going to do this due to his back injury. So I gave the link to Lendl's quote at the time.

So, what we have is Lendl giving a reason for stopping coaching Murray which turned out to be less than true. Which is the point I was making when replying to Bishop Briggs.

He could easily be talking about the more golf events he was playing in that quote.

London seems to have got our weather the last few days. Very little play at Queens so far today but it was enough for Verdasco to win the first set 6-2 against Wavrinka before play was stopped. Murray is on after that match if/when play resumes.

Archived