England v Russia

England's goal came from a free kick. I thought it had been awarded for obstruction. Should that not result in an indirect free kick? I realise that I do not know the ref's reason for awarding the free kick.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England's goal came from a free kick. I thought it had been awarded for obstruction. Should that not result in an indirect free kick? I realise that I do not know the ref's reason for awarding the free kick.

I think when the contact is made it becomes a body check and a direct free kick is awarded. Something like that.

For a team that was apparently outstanding it took a set piece to break the deadlock late in the game. The ITV crew doing the "we have no expectations" bit before the tournament started before abandoning that and wanting furiously over England as soon as they managed to string two passes together in the first minute. I hate Clive Tyldesley more than I hate England.

I missed the first half hour but he looked very good to me. Pulled a lot of strings, and sprayed it about nicely.

I thought sterling looked w**k despite the radio raving about his first half (the bits I missed).

rooney played well, he was constantly bringing the fullbacks into the game and giving the defence an easy outball, sterling was fucking brutal, terrible performance

That's on a par with their first game of the 2010 World Cup, with James Corden's World Cup 'party' after each group game.

God is a Gael, Albufeira a wee bit quieter, nuckle draggers either pissed in bed, pissing the bed,  or pissed and will go back out at midnight to clubs to ruin other peoples nightout, You can pump a team without winning, as England just proved.

For a team that was apparently outstanding it took a set piece to break the deadlock late in the game. The ITV crew doing the "we have no expectations" bit before the tournament started before abandoning that and wanting furiously over England as soon as they managed to string two passes together in the first minute. I hate Clive Tyldesley more than I hate England.

Clive Tyldsley is an absolute dildo. He was seething when Russia scored. 😂😂

And yet they still wonder why the 'Anybody but England' attitude comes back.

I remember at Euro 96 when England went out: the cameras picked up Baddiel and Skinner looking utterly shell-shocked. A guy who runs a print shop near Haymarket Station got a copy of that shot, stuck it on T-shirts and made a fortune!

Clive Tyldsley is an absolute dildo. He was seething when Russia scored.

England were awarded a free kick for a hand ball on the far side at one point and he said   "and it was a deliberate hand ball! ". I can only guess that he wanted a yellow card as well.  Tit.

England played well but not taking chances isn't luck. Kane was poor as was Sterling and while Lallana was more involved he had two excellent chances he didn't take. Russia looked pish and I doubt either Wales or Slovakia will give England as many opportunities. Also Russia didn't put England's defence under any pressure, aside from the goal.

Be interesting to see how this England side responds and what changes are made for their next game.

Thought Russia were absolutely howlin' , honestly think an SPFL team could have competed with them tonight.  They often say our technique is bad but Russia gave away unforced possession over and over and over.  They were terrible.  They could barely get the ball back to middle, never mind middle to front.

England played well in the first half but didn't really create any real chances in terms of actually making the goalkeeper make serious saves.

Second half I thought England were mediocre, as the game went on you could see England players getting flustered.  Apart from the great save from Rooney I couldn't really see England scoring from anything other than a set piece.

Did they deserve to win?  They dominated but they didn't do much with the possession against what I thought was a pretty poor team.

That was absolutely fucking perfect.

"Justice" Clive, "let's get carried away" Lee and "I'm not disappointed" even though I sound like I'm about to top myself Ian really made that immensely enjoyable.

I'm not too keen to see the Welsh do well but seeing as winning your first game practically gets you through in this format, I am all aboard the Wales train for one week.

I'm not too keen to see the Welsh do well but seeing as winning your first game practically gets you through in this format, I am all aboard the Wales train for one week.

Same, but the Welsh going through at the expense of England would be glorious.

Same, but the Welsh going through at the expense of England would be glorious.

Both England and Wales will go through. In fact Wales have something like an 87% chance to qualify even if they lose their remaining games

Archived