Group B: England vs Wales

AMC13

Well now we know Roys lineup for the next game, shame(?) it took him so long. I guess if you're an England fan you'll be happy at that.

How far did Roy get in 1994? I predict they'll be out at the same stage.

Once they come up against a team with better quality all over they'll crumble.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The better teams will retain possession much better than teams such as Russia, Wales, Albania etc. Much of what has made England look decent so far has been the sheer amount of possession they have had, so I think it'll be interesting to see how they do when they are having to win possession or have long spells without it.

I think England might enjoy hitting teams on the break.  They seem to have a lot of pace - but their defence hasn't exactly been secure so far.

What would be the ideal round for them to go out?  Second round for absolute seethe or semi-final penalty heartbreak with proud fans in tears again? 

pandarilla, on 16 Jun 2016 - 16:45, said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier in the thread but the Welsh really are a bunch of diving b*****ds - although the worst example was an Englishman in the first half (can't remember which one).  Unsurprisingly Keown said it was a clear foul.

To be fair, I thought that one was a foul too. Savage kept his mouth shut as well until one of the replays showed it was a dive.

Had to laugh at Savage saying "why on earth would Bale go down?" at one point. Has he never seen Gareth Bale?

I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier in the thread but the Welsh really are a bunch of diving b*****ds - although the worst example was an Englishman in the first half (can't remember which one).  Unsurprisingly Keown said it was a clear foul.

Was that when savage told him it wasn't then queue silence

To be fair, I thought that one was a foul too. Savage kept his mouth shut as well until one of the replays showed it was a dive.

Had to laugh at Savage saying "why on earth would Bale go down?" at one point. Has he never seen Gareth Bale?

That was hilarious.

He was running into the corner with very little support and the team were under quite a bit of pressure.  It's one of the main situations where players dive.   

There are 6 groups. 4 of the 3rd placed teams go through.

After all the group games only 8 teams go home. Its harder to get knocked out than stay in the tournament.

Four points will certainly see you through. There is an 87% chance you will go through with 3 points according to a stat I saw

Italy or Germany were both very impressive - I don't think England would go through against either.

England's biggest issue is their shite defence.

I though Lalanna was Englands stand out until subbed. Sterling surely wont start again. Woys loyalty has to run out. He was w**k all season and has been so far at Euros.

I cant give anyone in Englands midfield much credit... they bossed an unfit Joe Ledley and Joe Allen... Dier overhit so many passes, Alli... seems more interested in getting into the needle with opposition than stamping a mark on the game. Pass marks for Lalanna only IMO

I was impressed with him for spells in the first half but he didn't do enough for me.  I thought he also went quite quiet in the second half and was a shoe-in to come off when Rashford got stripped.

Italy or Germany were both very impressive - I don't think England would go through against either.

England's biggest issue is their shite defence.

The Italians have emerged as a bit of a dark horse for me. Still think they're light in attack but they're the best defensive side in the tournament so they could live on 1-0's

They've got enough goals in them to cause bother for decent teams.

On paper I wouldn't argue with you on that front, but in practice I would. As I've said earlier they needed a freekick to beat Russia and any decent team wouldn't have gifted them the two goals today. Other than an absolute world class save from the Russian keeper they rarely threatened a goal.

I don't think Wales were particularly well drilled at the back today and I think they could have received a horsing. England couldn't dish it out though.

England pass it around well but they appear to struggle to create bags of clearcut chances.

Are you winding me up?

No, that's how I see it.

The only side who come close to them in that respect are France. The likes of Spain, Germany, Italy and to an extent Portugal are good technical sides with a great deal of quality but none of those sides have such a wealth of forward players at their disposal. Indeed, having watched Spain and Germany, I'd say that they lack that recognised striker, someone you could rely on to get the goals. 

England have Kane, Sturbridge and Vardy - all of whom are proven goalscorers and prolific with it, plus Radford, Rooney and Sterling capable of getting goals as well. I'd say that is a pretty impressive pool of attackers. 

No, that's how I see it.

The only side who come close to them in that respect are France. The likes of Spain, Germany, Italy and to an extent Portugal are good technical sides with a great deal of quality but none of those sides have such a wealth of forward players at their disposal. Indeed, having watched Spain and Germany, I'd say that they lack that recognised striker, someone you could rely on to get the goals. 

England have Kane, Sturbridge and Vardy - all of whom are proven goalscorers and prolific with it, plus Radford, Rooney and Sterling capable of getting goals as well. I'd say that is a pretty impressive pool of attackers. 

I think you vastly overestimate the quality of the English Premier League.

Their attack has actually been their weak point so far. On the other hand defensively they've been solid; the complete opposite of what I was expecting.

Well, Vardy will come in for the next game, I imagine.

No, that's how I see it.

:lol: :lol:

Aye that's the one.

I couldn't decide if there was real tension between Keown and Savage - or just banter for the cameras (so to speak).

I kept imagining them sharing a smile through gritted teeth after each comment. Was like Guy Mowbray was watching over the annoying weans on a trip to the football.

Archived