Scottish-based players scoring at major finals

Inspired by a post in the Euro 2016 sub-forum:

Niall McGinn of Aberdeen scored at Euro 2016 earlier... when was the last time a player from your club scored at a continental finals, World Cup, Confederations Cup or Olympic Games?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limiting this to World Cups and Euros, there still won't be huge numbers.

All our own scorers in 74, 78, 82 and 86 were English based I think. Or did Strachan score in 82 while still at Aberdeen?

In 90, Johnston scored while with Rangers, but I think McCall was still at Everton. Did McStay get a goal in 92? McCoist scored in 96 and Burley scored in 98. Was Collins away from Celtic by then?

There will be a few foreign ones as well. The only ones that spring to mind are Larsson and Gascoigne, but there's bound to be plenty more.

Maybe it's one for infowire.

Limiting this to World Cups and Euros, there still won't be huge numbers.

All our own scorers in 74, 78, 82 and 86 were English based I think. Or did Strachan score in 82 while still at Aberdeen?

In 90, Johnston scored while with Rangers, but I think McCall was still at Everton. Did McStay get a goal in 92? McCoist scored in 96 and Burley scored in 98. Was Collins away from Celtic by then?

There will be a few foreign ones as well. The only ones that spring to mind are Larsson and Gascoigne, but there's bound to be plenty more.

Maybe it's one for infowire.

'Toe poke', 1982, Mr D Narey of Dundee United.

Strachan scored in 86 but left Aberdeen after the 84 cup final.

Don't think Mcstay scored in 92, it was McLair(Man Utd), Mcallister(Leeds) and Nevin(?).

Did Strachan not also score against New Zealand in 82?

And of course, Narey. Can't believe I overlooked him.

Did Strachan not also score against New Zealand in 82? And of course, Narey. Can't believe I overlooked him.

All the scorers against New Zealand were English based.  Dalglish, Wark (x2), John Robertson (N.Forest one) and Stevie Archibald.

Graeme Souness and Joe Jordan scored against USSR so no Scottish based players scored bar Narey at the 1982 WC.

Strachan scored in 86 but left Aberdeen after the 84 cup final.

Don't think Mcstay scored in 92, it was McLair(Man Utd), Mcallister(Leeds) and Nevin(?).

It was McStay, not Nevin.

Richard 'Dick' Hastings scored in the 2000 Gold Cup for Canada against Mexico.  An extra time golden goal in the quarter final no less.  He also got Rookie of the Tournament.

Edit - There's highlights of it on YouTube if I recall.

Archived