Almost a week into Euro 2016

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've enjoyed it but I'm always more interested in tight tactical battles than 5-0 wins anyway. We've only just had the first game that was over by 90 minutes. Lots of tight games, a few late goals. Better than I expected for a tournament that brought in 8 extra teams. Austria v Hungary probably my favourite game, although so many aspects of the Italian performance against the Belgians were excellent to watch.

The refereeing has been outstanding. 

The strikers have been rubbish. Lukaku out on his own for showing an awful touch and diabolical movement. I thought Lewandowski played pretty well against Germany and Sturridge was intelligent in where he played but other than that? Every country seems to have a guy who's scored 3 goals in 40 internationals.

Finally, Lallana has been good. If he had more goals/assists he would be outstanding and up there with Payet and a couple of others, but he doesn't. Same at Liverpool, and it is a problem if a team wants to move to the next level. He leads England's pressing superbly well though (it is generally him who reads the triggers and starts the movement) and his movement into the half spaces has been the main reason that Walker has had so much room in which to operate. Definitely earned his place in the England side though.

The refereeing has been outstanding. 

Indeed.  Credit to the refs for catching offences we fans missed. Oor Wullie strolled his game and Clattenburg has been an absolute credit.  I even liked his Presbyterian collar today.

Think the only questionable decision or non-decision has been Skrtel's elbow in Slovakia's game vs Wales. Suppose that was more down to the goal-line official rather than the referee though

I've never understood why people get so irate about diving but bad challenges get dismissed out of hand. I'd rather a guy cheated to win a free kick against me than put me out of action for months.

Challenges are part of the game. They can't all be good. Some of them are inevitably going to be bad through no ill intent.

Diving is cheating and always deliberate. Football has always been a man's sport until recently. Men should conceal any pain and portray strength- rolling around pretending you are injured is undignified and embarrassing.

This.

Its like when people used Goals per game as a stat when Goals per minute is a far better one.

Most clubs use team goal % for strikers now. If there's a noticeable difference between how many goals the team scores when a striker plays as opposed to when he doesn't then it means he's doing a lot of work off the ball and creating space for the attacking midfielders (who are the ones most teams seem to be relying on to get the goals nowadays; especially in a 4-2-3-1 or something similar). Depends on the tactics used, etc. but worth looking the figures up if a team keeps playing someone upfront when they aren't scoring. Often this is the reason why.

ANYWAY

The games have been alright. Nothing incredible and very few truly dire games. Hungary's left back is the fella that's stood out most for me (forgot his name) but I put that down to the other players who've impressed me (Modric hasn't been mentioned?) are the players I expect to do well.

True there's been a few counter attacking sides who've nulified games but, apart from Norn Iron in their first game and Wales v England, none of them have been launching aimless balls upfield. Most teams seem keen on keeping possesion and playing out for the majority of games.

With everyone having a chance of going through in the 3rd round of matches I reckon that's when it will really kick on.

I've never understood why people get so irate about diving but bad challenges get dismissed out of hand. I'd rather a guy cheated to win a free kick against me than put me out of action for months.

The 'diver' isn't usually the challenger. It's the big c++nt behind him who will break your bones.

Glad you enjoyed it.  You're the second poster who has posted about going to games.  Our own Rab posted on the Bunfield thread last night and you both had similar experiences...good game, good banter and a great time.  I suspect this is how most fans think.

Did you watch the Spain game?  So far, them and Italy are looking like the tournament's stand outs.

I did see the Spain match and I would agree that both Italy and Spain are the standout teams. It could all change come the knockout stages and I think we may be in for a decent tournament. 

Archived