Almost a week into Euro 2016

Not being able to see too many games with work getting in the way of the 2pm and 5 pm kick offs but I haven't been that impressed with what I have seen so far.

Italy v Belgium has been the best game I have seen and Germany v Poland easily the worst.

Agree with some of the comments above in that teams seem happy to sit back with 3rd place been enough to qualify from 4 out of the 6 groups.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best team I've seen so far have been Croatia although they were up against a poor Turkey side. Modric or Payet have been the best players for me so far.

The new format where three teams from a group can qualify is a nonsense.

Standard of finishing has been dire, crossing has been poor too and no one seems to have a player good enough to go through the middle of a team.  Goalkeepers haven't exactly shone either.

There has also been an annoying habit for players to go to ground very easily.  A player even brushes someone and he flops over.  The game gets broken up, there is no flow to the match and the game becomes all about set pieces.

I've been watching it because I love football but it's been disappointing tbh.

There are too many mediocre teams parking the bus and looking for draws to progress in 3rd place.

The better countries like Spain, Germany and France who you'd expect to turn in good performances have all been pish. The finishing and crossing has been woeful.

Game of the tournament so far was Northern Ireland v Ukraine.

Agree with this. They've let too much crap in and the 3rd place qualifying has exacerbated the problem by games being too tight and stifled as the Lesser teams seeks draws instead of gambling.

The lack of dominant centre forwards is disappointing as teams try to walk the ball in the net and don't present a potent and exciting goal threat. Germany have been particularly disappointing.

Game of the tournament Belgium bs Italy.

Spot on TCK. The centre-forward issue is a problem throughout the game right now, but is more obvious in the setting of the negative, politicised structure we have now. In my opinion, it's the worst start to a competition in my lifetime, not simply because the bigger better teams are playing shit, but because very few other sides are that impressive.

The South should have buried Sweden, Romania should be top of their group, and Poland ought to have a word with themselves over last night. Only teams for me at 100% so far are Iceland, TFS, Wales, Italy and Croatia. Of those, Italy and Croatia are the only ones with a reasonable future in the competition, and so will burn out in the quarters or something. The rest are pish, so far.

It's really been pretty poor.

Twenty four qualifiers is too many.

It means that too many poorish sides without cutting edge are there. It also means that with thirty six matches being required to eliminate just eight sides, the safety net is too strong.

The last World Cup was the best tournament I've seen in terms of group stages; this is among the worst.

I'm a bit bored with it and looking forward to the knock-out bit.

Almost every game has been tight so far probably because most teams know they can get through playing for a draw and maybe sneaking a win. The new format is made for negative teams. 

As much as I want to see England take a pumping I disagree with people saying "Lallana is mediocre". He has played well so far.

I've been really aware of the simulation so far in France, more so than ever.

As a bit of a dinosaur it's pissed me off for years but nearly every run has seen someone go down easy - I think many people have become blind to it and just accept that a player dragging his leg to draw the foul is perfectly legit - even slow-mo replays have been met by commentators declaring 'definate foul' despite the opposite being apparent.

Twenty four qualifiers is too many.

It means that too many poorish sides without cutting edge are there. It also means that with thirty six matches being required to eliminate just eight sides, the safety net is too strong.

Almost every game has been tight so far probably because most teams know they can get through playing for a draw and maybe sneaking a win. The new format is made for negative teams. 

These 

Just back home after attending the Italy v Belgium match. Atmosphere incredible and a terrific win for the Azzurri. The Belgians sang throughout the two nights before the match, keeping us awake in our hotel. They are by far the loudest support I have ever heard. A really fantastic bunch of supporters. 

With all the bad publicity about violence surrounding the tournament I think it's worth adding that we met and mixed with fans from a wide variety of countries and it was a pleasure meeting them all, taking photos with them and listening to their stories and banter. I would recommend a future trip to the Euros to anybody, a marvellous experience. 

Just back home after attending the Italy v Belgium match. Atmosphere incredible and a terrific win for the Azzurri. The Belgians sang throughout the two nights before the match, keeping us awake in our hotel. They are by far the loudest support I have ever heard. A really fantastic bunch of supporters. 

With all the bad publicity about violence surrounding the tournament I think it's worth adding that we met and mixed with fans from a wide variety of countries and it was a pleasure meeting them all, taking photos with them and listening to their stories and banter. I would recommend a future trip to the Euros to anybody, a marvellous experience. 

Glad you enjoyed it.  You're the second poster who has posted about going to games.  Our own Rab posted on the Bunfield thread last night and you both had similar experiences...good game, good banter and a great time.  I suspect this is how most fans think.

Did you watch the Spain game?  So far, them and Italy are looking like the tournament's stand outs.

Chance creation is a much better statistic than assists.

This.

Its like when people used Goals per game as a stat when Goals per minute is a far better one.

This.

Its like when people used Goals per game as a stat when Goals per minute is a far better one.

Well no it isn't: both goals statistics have objective facts to support them; 'chances created' is entirely subjective pish. What constitutes a 'chance' has no readily agreed basis, so trying to form a credible measurement from that is pointless.

Assists are by no means a perfect measurement, but they provide a good general picture. Such as a player who has zero assists and zero goals while playing in an attacking position not being a Player of the Tournament contender. Payet, Bonucci, Modric are clearly far more effective players, as have been the likes of Hamšik on the basis of the games so far.

Archived