Almost a week into Euro 2016

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its starting to get to the point where I find myself 'tuning out' of games, similar thing happened at previous tournaments.

Stand out player probably Payet.

I find that as well.

I guess at the start of the tournament I was quite excited and watched almost every minute but you kind of get a bit of football fatigue and when a game isn't that exciting you tend to start wandering off and doing other things.

Also a lot of the games have seen some decent teams up against some defensive counter-attacking sides which can be quite dull. Not that it's a criticism of those teams - you have to play to your strengths, it's just not always the most exciting to watch (apart from when Iceland were doing it!😄).

Overall I've enjoyed it. Payet, Italy and France have all been the most impressive so far.

I've been watching it because I love football but it's been disappointing tbh.

There are too many mediocre teams parking the bus and looking for draws to progress in 3rd place.

The better countries like Spain, Germany and France who you'd expect to turn in good performances have all been pish. The finishing and crossing has been woeful.

Game of the tournament so far was Northern Ireland v Ukraine.

Highlight was probably England v Russia for the "justice for the England 11" then the injury time equaliser. Cruel.

Ugh. I had forgotten about that.

Which particular odious cretin was it who let those immortal words ooze forth?

Darth Tyldsley or his apprentice Matterface? Always two there are.

I'll tell you who has had a shocker of a tournament, the 4th official. Every 2nd game the wrong number gets put up.

I don't think it's the same guy at every game.

It's been poor fare so far with some very negative and cagey play from a number of sides resulting in few goals and attacking play. There hasn't been more than three goals in a single match as yet and no side has scored more than two goals in a game, and the worrying thing is that the group stages of such tournaments are usually when you get the goals and sides unafraid to attack, as the knockout stages become more nervy. I've not been atall impressed with Spain, Germany and Portugal so far and only really England and Italy have stood out.

The football for the most part has not been negative or cagey. Where there have been a few mismatches (Spain v Czech Republic for example) the defending team has at least kept it tight until the end - which is better IMO than a blowout win for the big team with no drama whatsoever.

The reason why there has been a mediocre number of goals is almost exclusively down to absolutely woeful finishing from a rotten set of European strikers. Half of the teams at the tournament lack even a half-decent no. 9 and are fielding utter cart-horses instead. The likes of Seferovic and Giroud should have had at least three or four goals already but have missed absolute sitters on a regular basis.  

Italy surprised me although they shouldn't.  They look set up well to go far in the tournament.

I think Croatia will do well also.  If Modric and Rakitic stay on form and Mandzukic can get firing they may be the dark horses of the tournament.   

It's been pretty poor fare so far, half the teams in the tournament would get football stopped, I get that teams need to try and play to their strengths but that doesn't make it any less dull to watch unfortunately. Hopefully it will pick up when a raft of diddies get punted out that finish 4th and 3rd.

Edit : Germany v Ukraine and Italy v Belgium were decent enough games, payet has been standout player so far.

I'll tell you who has had a shocker of a tournament, the 4th official. Every 2nd game the wrong number gets put up.

I presume the stooges on the bye line are the 5th and 6th officials? Has any one of them raised his flag yet?

I presume the stooges on the bye line are the 5th and 6th officials? Has any one of them raised his flag yet?

The extra officials use their headset to communicate with the referee - as do all the other officials. Fairly straightforward stuff. 

Archived