Groups E and F: The Final Countdown

jagfox

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point there by Henry, imagine if this was the old rules and Hungary and Iceland went through whilst Portugal and Austria went home!

Not really a good point tbh, the whole group would have played out different.

Was just away to edit my post as I remembered Hungary wouldn't have even qualified. Just pretend I'm not here...

"We'll be better against a team that comes out and play."

And now we're celebrating getting a defensively sound Iceland rather than a dysfunctional Portugal who didn't win a game in the weakest group in the whole tournament...

Still, I doubt Iceland can soak up pressure for 2 hours, which will presumably be their gameplan.

"We'll be better against a team that comes out and play."

And now we're celebrating getting a defensively sound Iceland rather than a dysfunctional Portugal who didn't win a game in the weakest group in the whole tournament...

Still, I doubt Iceland can soak up pressure for 2 hours, which will presumably be their gameplan.

I think Iceland will be ideal. England have a number of goal scorers so just soaking up pressure is ideal.

There are now two possible draws.

Turkey will qualify as a third-place team if whoever finishes 3rd in Group F finishes with a worse record than 3 points, 2 goals for and 4 against. If tonight's third-place team betters that, they will progress and Turkey go out.

If Turkey go through the draw is:

Switzerland v Poland

Croatia v Portugal

Wales v Turkey

Hungary v Runner-Up E

Germany v Slovakia

Italy v Spain

France v Northern Ireland

England v Iceland

If the third-place team from Group E goes through the draw is:

Switzerland v Poland

Croatia v Portugal

Wales v Northern Ireland

Hungary v Runner-Up E

Germany v Slovakia

Italy v Spain

France v 3rd E

England v Iceland

Good point there by Henry, imagine if this was the old rules and Hungary and Iceland went through whilst Portugal and Austria went home!

It seems to take Henry and Bilic to bring the other pundits down from 10,000 feet.

That was a most enjoyable pair of games to watch simultaneously.

And breathe...

Now group E. Italy have top spot assured and Belgium will finish 2nd if they avoid defeat to Sweden.

The only way either Ireland or Sweden can qualify is if they win. If either win they are through and if either fail to win they are out and Turkey are through.

If they both win they both go through and Turkey and Belgium go out.

Archived