Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only 'Dr' Eoin Clarke could properly f**k something as simple as compiling a mere list of policies with a title like "Labour's Easter Policy Blitz". 

He blocked me on Twitter when I pointed out one of his stats was wrong. He doesn't take to constructive feedback very well.

Says who? The new leader will be whichever of the candidates who is able to get sufficient MPs' votes to be able to stand, and then expresses the most leftwing viewpoints to the members. I'd be surprised if that was Cooper.

I think she will be the moderate choice, and everyone from every wing of the party other than the hard-left will nominate Cooper. Fresh from what unfortunately looks like electoral disaster someone as eloquent and talented as Cooper should be able to see off whoever Corbyn's lot nominate (assuming they get the numbers).

I think she will be the moderate choice, and everyone from every wing of the party other than the hard-left will nominate Cooper. Fresh from what unfortunately looks like electoral disaster someone as eloquent and talented as Cooper should be able to see off whoever Corbyn's lot nominate (assuming they get the numbers).

The party will vote for the most leftwing candidate. I've no doubt whatsoever.

So one of three things happen:

(i) fully-paid up Corbynista somehow gets on the ballot. They become new leader.

(ii) no genuinely leftwing candidates get on the ballot and we have a contested election. The winner would be whichever candidate was able to present themselves to members as being more leftwing than the others.

(iii) the "Moderates" identify some sort of unity candidate and nobody else from the right or centre stands. The left may or may not nominate a rival candidate but, if they do, they don't get enough votes to be able to stand. The Moderate candidate wins by default without the members having been consulted.

Or, thinking of it, there may always be a fourth option:

(iv) Corbyn refuses to leave, until after Conference when the voting rules have been changed to make it much easier for leftwing candidates to get on the ballot, in which case... go to (i).

I never said Corbyn would be standing. She wouldn't beat AN Other leftwing candidate if it went to the members' vote, imo.

I'm not so sure. With the membership freshly seeing what the far-left experiment leads to I think any sort of competent politician like Cooper would wipe the floor with whichever Trot she would have to face. I also think she will be helped by McDonnell's ego, I can see him insisting on standing instead of someone moderately talented like Clive Lewis, which will sure up Cooper's support even more.

If Corbyn refuses to stand down and it's a straight race between him and Cooper then it would be a trouncing.

This will be a depressing election, but hopefully it will be a sobering one that we can actually learn from.

Archived