Portugal vs Wales

Don't think a team has ever put in so many bad/nothing performances and made it to the final of a major international tournament before. Wales seemed overawed, too much passion, not enough concentration, sharpness and quality. Savage will be utterly baffled at how this can be possible. 

Pretty pish game, very dull to watch, hoped Bale would shag one in from 50 yards to make the end interesting but sadly not. One of those games for Portugal where you find yourselves 2-0 up and you're not quite sure how.

Logic would dictate that France and Germany should utterly pump them but that probably just means Portugal will win it, as long as it's enjoyable to watch I don't really care tbf.

Italy in 82? Even then probably not. Aaron ramsay was a massive miss for them. Zero creativity and passing accuracy where it mattered without him.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wales froze when it mattered.

Noticed a few times Bale trying to go for the glory when a decent pass was available to him. If he hadn't been so Selfish we could've been looking at the Welsh in the final.

Still, the 3rd place playoff is hardly to be sniffed at.

The Euros doesn't have a 3rd place playoff.

I stand corrected, I seemed to think there was one for 2012, must've got confused.

Portugal strolled that, for all the "didnt deserve to be two up" chat they actually did. They looked far more threatening from set pieces and created their own luck for the second by getting numbers in the box.

Portugal strolled that, for all the "didnt deserve to be two up" chat they actually did. They looked far more threatening from set pieces and created their own luck for the second by getting numbers in the box.

Was playing and only seen the second half but my thoughts as well. Still being criticised at the end of the game after being so very comfortable against a pretty good Wales team.

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

Why are Wales going on about no regrets? I'd have loads if my team had played that shite in a big game.

They're quite rightly taking the positives from the tournament. No point in beating themselves up over that performance now. They'll know how poorly they played and they'll know they went out with a whimper. So they'll focus on what they achieved instead, which was reaching the semi finals of a major tournament. Not a bad thing to focus on either.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

They're quite rightly taking the positives from the tournament. No point in beating themselves up over that performance now. They'll know how poorly they played and they'll know they went out with a whimper. So they'll focus on what they achieved instead, which was reaching the semi finals of a major tournament. Not a bad thing to focus on either.

Absolutely and they should be delighted with reaching the semis. To say they don't have any regrets is a bit baffling though.

Heard all the fans talking about how this tournament was the start of something special too. Sorry lads, this was the moment. Glad they had a good time though; I'm extremely jealous.

like Iceland had worst performance ,especially first half.

bit of a damp squib    -wrong tactics probably.

allow to much play to Portugal without pressing them enough  & lack of usual tempo. 

They should have learned the way Poland played Portugal;

Poland scored first , looked like they would finish them off in the first 10 minutes,

for some mysterious reason  sat back allowing Portugal have more play

Yeah Wales missed Ramsay last night, they just couldn't replace his quality in the midfield role. As much as it pains me to say it, Portugal deserved to win especially second half, Wales were piss poor passing wise and didn't really have any idea on how to break a very stubborn team down.

Still Cannae get over how Portugal are in the final after drawing their opening 3 games and shitefesting the next two games after extra time and pens.. Ah well fair play tae them, hope they get shafted in the final of course. 

Last night proved Aaron Ramsey makes Wales tick, not Gareth Bale.  For me Aaron Ramsey has been far and away Wales best player and one of the better midfielders in the competition.

Or both

Put Ramsey in that team without Bale and you'd be saying the same thing

I think him missing was huge but even if he was there I think Portugal would've beat them. Just a step too far.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Was playing and only seen the second half but my thoughts as well. Still being criticised at the end of the game after being so very comfortable against a pretty good Wales team.

You weren't playing you fucking liar, you're neither Welsh or Portuguese.

Archived