Italian Football Thread

Kris.

13 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Could quite easily be no playoffs in Serie B this season. Pretty sure if 3rd place finish more than 9 points clear of 4th they go up automatically?

That's correct. Keep forgetting about that. The last time it happened was when Juventus, Napoli and Genoa went up in 2006/07 back when playoffs were played between 3rd-6th. Verona got relegated from Serie B that season and only avoided finishing bottom of Serie C1/A (as it was known then) and relegation to the fourth level based on head-to-head the following season. Mad.

Totti was one my first football heroes, never had much pace but his technique was/still is incredible. I literally haven't known a football season without him playing, one club man, utter legend. This goal :wub::wub:;

Edited by St. Jude

I saw Oddschecker's Facebook page made a 'one club man' XI with him as the striker. There were folk commenting underneath saying Le Tissier should be in it ahead of him :lol:

Just the 250 Serie A goals.

Edited by lanky_ffc

Think it was expected but he is one of those players who has been playing literally since I started watching football. I can't remember Roma without him.

He had his debut before 33% of current Serie A players were even born.

Totti made his debut for Roma 16 days after I was born. Much more respectful departure from Roma than Del Piero at Juventus. An absolute legend of the game and I hope he manages to stay at Roma in some regard.

He scored against 38 different teams in Serie A!

He was offered a contact at Milan too but his mother refused! Wonder what those scenarios would have turned out like. Would he have ever got his move to Real Madrid?

I saw Oddschecker's Facebook page made a 'one club man' XI with him as the striker. There were folk commenting underneath saying Le Tissier should be in it ahead of him [emoji38]
Just the 250 Serie A goals.

The same post that had del Piero in a Sydney shirt!

Genuinely gutted I never got to watch Totti live. An absolute hero. Hoped to get out to the last game of the season but it's 2 weeks after I'm back from travelling so can't quite meet the expense.

The one Roma game I made it to he didn't get on and I'll never forget having to pass up a Roma game in 2008 to go to Pompei instead. Totti scored in a 2 nil win against Reggina

Genuinely gutted I never got to watch Totti live. An absolute hero. Hoped to get out to the last game of the season but it's 2 weeks after I'm back from travelling so can't quite meet the expense.

The one Roma game I made it to he didn't get on and I'll never forget having to pass up a Roma game in 2008 to go to Pompei instead. Totti scored in a 2 nil win against Reggina

Same. Been to Rome twice, been to see Roma twice and both times he hasn't played. First time was against AC back in 2010 and he was out injured. Then against Viktoria Plzen in November he wasn't in the squad. Gutted as like many I watched a lot of Football Italia when I was younger and Totti/Roma were my favourite player/team.

I'm going to the Milan vs Roma game on Sunday. Not snapped up tickets as of yet, going to get them when I'm in Milan which I'm hoping shouldn't be a problem (I'll be there for 6am tomorrow morning). Hope Totti makes an appearance at some point.

In Serie B today, both Verona and Frosinone won leaving SPAL 2 and 3 points clear of both teams respectively. This means that even if they win against Pro Vercelli tomorrow, they cannot be promoted due to a worse H2H against Frosinone.

At the other end of the table, Ternana beat Vicenza to go into the relegation playoff zone. Vicenza replace Ternana in the relegation zone. Pisa are 9 points off safety with 3 games to go. However, they have a game in hand against Cittadella on Monday which they need to win in order to have any chance of staying up. Any other result will mean relegation. H2H with Ternana is equal with both teams recording a 1-0 win over the other. However, Pisa have the better goal difference.

In Lega Pro, Cremonese won the league with an 87th minute winner against Racing Roma, who needed to win and hope that Lupa Roma didn't win to ensure that they didn't go down automatically. Didn't happen clearly. Alessandria will be kicking themselves as they were top of Girone A for a huge part of the season but they've ended up making a haddy of it at the wrong time. Still got a chance in the playoffs however.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

Palermo only managing a draw today has consigned them to Serie B next season. 18th placed Crotone won 1-0 at Pescara but unfortunately 17th placed Empoli won 3-1 against Bologna so the gap between 17th and 18th remains at 4 points. Genoa beat Inter 1-0 to keep the gap between them and Crotone at 5 points.

Crotone have Udinese, Juventus and Lazio left to play. It's probably safe to say that they won't be escaping relegation.

In Lega Pro, Piacenza v Prato was abandoned just before half-time yesterday due to the pitch being mildly waterlogged. It was 1-1 at the time. The rest of the game is being played just now and could have implications for who ends up in the relegation playoffs. If Prato, who are 16th and in the relegation playoff zone just now, win then they will be safe and 15th placed Olbia will go into the relegation playoffs based on H2H (Prato have won both games this season). Any other result will mean that Prato (one of Massimo Maccarone's former clubs incidentally) will face 19th placed Lupa Roma to decide who goes down as Olbia are currently 3 points ahead of them.

Currently it is 2-2.

Parma winning the derby with Reggiana 1-0. Still only a second place finish though.

Feel for Crotone a bit. They've been picking up good results for a few weeks now, yet Empoli seem to keep matching them. With their run in there's no chance they'll overturn the 4 point gap now.

Some result for Lazio again today. Horrible supporters, but they're a very good side.

SPAL currently drawing 0-0 at HT in the game in Serie B.