Italian Football Thread

Kris.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 21:21, Allan Jacobsen said:

For what's it worth, I also follow Napoli and like all southern Italian teams other than Catanzaro...and Reggina.

I thought it was just me that had a general liking of the southern teams.nothing against Catanzaro or reggina

On 6/29/2017 at 19:28, Allan Jacobsen said:

Tomorrow is the deadline for documentation to be submitted to Serie A, Serie B, Lega Pro etc if the clubs want to register for that league next season. All except for the utter clusterfuck that is Como, who have until 5th July (I believe). Means that Monday could be interesting when teams are revealed to have submitted incomplete documentation or none at all. As always, I hope that Catanzaro are one of those teams.

One team that will not be taking their place in Lega Pro is Latina. After relegation from Serie B, they went bust towards the end of May but could reform in Serie D next season.

They didn't get that long. It was decided by Saturday morning (probably Friday night) that they would not be allowed to take part in Lega Pro next season. They'd actually gone bust in March when Essien's wife took over. Having a look at their history, I've noticed that they seem to have a habit of doing things consecutively. Between 2000/01 and 2001/02, they got promoted from Serie C1 to Serie A. Between 2002/03 and 2004/05, they were relegated from Serie A to Serie C2 where they were excluded from playing in Serie C2 due to financial issues and were placed in Serie D. Between 2007/08 and 2008/09, Serie D to Lega Pro Prima Divisione and between 2015/16 and 2016/17, relegated from Serie B and not allowed to play in Lega Pro. Some team.

No idea where they would be placed, should they decide to reform. It could be Serie D but then Pavia, who are also from Lombardy, ended up in Eccellenza last season. I have a feeling that they would end up there. Currently though, they no longer exist.

Nothing has been said about other Lega Pro teams. I know that Akragas, Catanzaro, Maceratese, Mantova and Messina were in trouble but nothing more has been said on them so I assume that they're fine.

13 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

They didn't get that long. It was decided by Saturday morning (probably Friday night) that they would not be allowed to take part in Lega Pro next season. They'd actually gone bust in March when Essien's wife took over. Having a look at their history, I've noticed that they seem to have a habit of doing things consecutively. Between 2000/01 and 2001/02, they got promoted from Serie C1 to Serie A. Between 2002/03 and 2004/05, they were relegated from Serie A to Serie C2 where they were excluded from playing in Serie C2 due to financial issues and were placed in Serie D. Between 2007/08 and 2008/09, Serie D to Lega Pro Prima Divisione and between 2015/16 and 2016/17, relegated from Serie B and not allowed to play in Lega Pro. Some team.

No idea where they would be placed, should they decide to reform. It could be Serie D but then Pavia, who are also from Lombardy, ended up in Eccellenza last season. I have a feeling that they would end up there. Currently though, they no longer exist.

Nothing has been said about other Lega Pro teams. I know that Akragas, Catanzaro, Maceratese, Mantova and Messina were in trouble but nothing more has been said on them so I assume that they're fine.

It always amazes me how teams in Italy yo-yo so wildly. I remember seeing an AC Milan team with Pirlo and Gilardino beat Messina 4-0 in the San Siro in one of the first games I ever made it to abroad. 

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It always amazes me how teams in Italy yo-yo so wildly. I remember seeing an AC Milan team with Pirlo and Gilardino beat Messina 4-0 in the San Siro in one of the first games I ever made it to abroad. 

They had financial issues about 10 years ago and the chairman decided to withdraw them from Serie B and enrol them in Serie D. If I remember correctly, it took them a while to get out of Serie D.

18 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Apologies for the double post. The season that the game was played in...one of the teams relegated was Treviso. They're now playing in Promozione. That's what financial mismanagement will do to you...

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

On 02/07/2017 at 15:59, TheGoon said:

Milan? Very much so now, they'll spend at least €50 Million more before the window's end.

They've spent more than that already. Andre Silva from Porto alone was nearly €40 million.

ETA: I've misread your post apologies :oops

Edited by RiG

On 7/3/2017 at 16:52, Allan Jacobsen said:

The teams in bold have not registered for Lega Pro next season. They'll get a few days grace to see if they can come up with the money to allow them to play in Lega Pro next season. Modena were also mentioned yesterday as another team who could struggle.

I have a question for folk who may understand these this better then me.

Why do teams end up with guys who will be contracted to them until their mid 20s (25 or sometimes later) but seem utter shite and spend their career out on loan and often never really play for the teams they go on loan to?

Few examples that I can mind without looking heavily into it again are...

Milan 

• Nnamdi Odumadi, 25 years old (he's just been released). Bounced about from 2010 and seems to only really have got time at HJK.
  • Rodrigo Ely,  23 so not too old yet I suppose, played quite a bit when out on loan but nowhere near the Milan team it seems despite his 3 past appearances.
  • Juan Mari, 28 can't even get any real info on this guy, seems to be the older brother of Jose Mari, a 21 yo player. Is this one of those things where they sign his brother like they did with Kaka?

Inter

• Samuele Longo, 25 Been at Inter forever, Loaned out every year.

So what's the deal? There are a good few examples throughout the league, are they just offering them 8 year deals when they are 19?

Read that Antonio Cassano offered his services to Parma but was told where to go?

No idea what is going on at Firenze this year apart from a change of coach and the top players getting cherry picked although the club seem determined to hang on to, or haven't been offered enough for, Kalinić. 

I have a question for folk who may understand these this better then me.

Why do teams end up with guys who will be contracted to them until their mid 20s (25 or sometimes later) but seem utter shite and spend their career out on loan and often never really play for the teams they go on loan to?

Few examples that I can mind without looking heavily into it again are...
Milan 
  • Nnamdi Odumadi, 25 years old (he's just been released). Bounced about from 2010 and seems to only really have got time at HJK.
  • Rodrigo Ely,  23 so not too old yet I suppose, played quite a bit when out on loan but nowhere near the Milan team it seems despite his 3 past appearances.
  • Juan Mari, 28 can't even get any real info on this guy, seems to be the older brother of Jose Mari, a 21 yo player. Is this one of those things where they sign his brother like they did with Kaka?

Inter
  • Samuele Longo, 25 Been at Inter forever, Loaned out every year.

So what's the deal? There are a good few examples throughout the league, are they just offering them 8 year deals when they are 19?

Could be that they actually make money from those loan deals, for example a monthly fee plus 100% of the players wages. Also it could be that they're playing the odds, one of those players could have a phenomenal season and tempt a club into paying for them.

13 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

No idea what is going on at Firenze this year apart from a change of coach and the top players getting cherry picked although the club seem determined to hang on to, or haven't been offered enough for, Kalinić. 

Della Valle put the club up for sale, although that was after the change of manager. No-one has left yet other than Rodriguez and Ilicic, but it does seem like Valero, Badelj (though has been rumoured for years now, and his contract expires next season), Kalinic and Bernardeschi won't be at the club next season, which leaves Chiesa as being the only competent player.

On 7/4/2017 at 14:12, Jambomo said:

Does anyone know when the fixtures for Serie A come out?

On 7/4/2017 at 15:13, Allan Jacobsen said:

26th July

On 7/4/2017 at 15:29, Jambomo said:

Great, thanks :)

blessing in disguise - thought it was a right pain in the arse when trying to book a weekend in Verona to take in a Hellas game without knowing the fixtures in advance, but managed to blag an extra few days to take in both a weekend round of fixures, and the following midweek set to guarantee at least one experience of scenes on the Curva Sud at the Bentegodi - missus not party to the reason for the extended break yet - expecting some negativity when the "oh look - another game we can go to" good fortune is revealed....

8)

11 hours ago, Smurph said:

Della Valle put the club up for sale, although that was after the change of manager. No-one has left yet other than Rodriguez and Ilicic, but it does seem like Valero, Badelj (though has been rumoured for years now, and his contract expires next season), Kalinic and Bernardeschi won't be at the club next season, which leaves Chiesa as being the only competent player.

Bernadeschi looks Juve bound.