Arbroath vs Dundee United

Lichtie78

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were lacklustre tonight, I thought Telfer was awful.  Obadeyi looks very good, he should offer a lot during the season.  Justin Johnstone would do better if he wasn't so selfish.  Arbroath goal clearly a handball (arm) but I can understand how the ref didn't see it.

Strange choice of penalty takers but they were effective.  The lad Mutch was very good.

Really happy with the game tonight. Mutch had a fantastic game and with more clinical finishing I think we could have won. Nice to see a competent team on the pitch for once, looks good for the season ahead.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We were lacklustre tonight, I thought Telfer was awful.  Obadeyi looks very good, he should offer a lot during the season.  Justin Johnstone would do better if he wasn't so selfish.  Arbroath goal clearly a handball (arm) but I can understand how the ref didn't see it.

Strange choice of penalty takers but they were effective.  The lad Mutch was very good.

Not sure if you're joking about Obedayi or not, he was absolutely stinking. Johnson looks handy however.

I thought Obedayi bullied Thomson at times.

United had the extra man in midfield and it usually was Telfer but he didn't really do anything.

Linn had Toshney on the run for the whole game but our final ball wasn't good enough.

Highlight was the 2 minute masterclass of Steven Doris defending corners.

I thought we were very disciplined and looked very fit for this time of year. We're never going to be better than Utd, but if we stuck to our jobs, kept our shape and gave a disciplined display we could get something and we did. Utd were incredibly wasteful with the ball at times, so many overhit crosses and basic passes across the midfield going 5 yards behind the intended target meaning they rarely managed to properly counter or use the space.

Rather poor to hear of the Utd fans acting like c***s in pubs pre/ post match, all the guys I bumped into and had a chat with at the station, on the train and in the Millgate pre match were a good laugh; rather enjoyed sauntered in about several hundred Utd fans getting some rather odd looks due to the colours :lol:

Dundee United looked very poor - can't say that Murray or that useless sand-dancer Fraser look like credible starters for a team aiming to win promotion to the top flight. More concerning for them is that their central defence pairing were as slow as a week in the jail and without the experience to adapt to that fact. All the sides watching that display will gain confidence that they can get a result.

They'll obviously improve as a team with match fitness but I doubt that they can mount a serious challenge in The Championship without adding two or three quality players. Arbroath acquitted themselves well throughout. I would say that as much as their goalkeeper had a solid game, he never looked like a credible opponent in the penalty shoot-out. The idea that Cammy Bell "made up" for chucking away all three points by earning two through the shoot-out is patently wrong though. 

Really interesting how differently people see the game. For me Mutch and Doris were our best performers. Thought Fraser and odambeyi were united's, odambeyi in particular was a threat all night. If he can find a better end product they'll have a handful of a player there. 

Archived