Forfar Athletic v Dumbarton

Firstly overall I thought we were the better team and didn't do to bad but against weaker opposition that should have been the case. 

Concerned that Todd was only option we considered from bench in game like this even when Wright looked out of it after head knock. I don't buy what others think about betfred bring our pre season but if it was why were other subs not given a run. 

Thought Stirling our best . Doc really positive going forward but badly exposed Wright in particular where all danger came from. I thought gall was clearly best of our midfield trio. Pettigrew also did well. 

We need Darren Barr back in holding role as both goals came from people in that podition who can't play there.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The highlights sum up exactly what I was saying about having the right players, in the wrong positions. 

3 times (I think) Gallagher found himself in good positions where you'd expect a goalscorer to hit the net at least once. Then for the 2nd goal Gaz loses the ball by trying to beat a man instead of playing a simple pass, where you'd expect a natural deep midfielder to sense and deal with the danger. The decision to play them in those positions cost us the game, and that's not taking anything from Forfar who were well up for it and looked far more interested, but when you gift them the ball for one goal and then miss (at the least) two chances that should be tucked away, you've only got yourself to blame.

In fairness to him, and whilst he doesn't fill anyone will confidence, Broon saved us late on with that one-on-one save, even if he did it in an unorthodox way.

How any fans can claim that wasn't a handball is beyond me. Even more blatant than I thought it was at the time.

Certainly on the highlights - which aren't the best angle - Forfar's penalty claim doesn't look particularly strong, if he'd gone down he might have given it, but I thought the way the fans were talking about it at the end they were denied a stonewaller, but it certainly didn't look that way. 

Didn't realise Gal's penalty left the stadium :lol: He should've just blasted it at me tbh.

Not debating it hit his arm but what part was deliberate? Not a pen for me.

You can't see it on the highlights but Wright had a good hold of Milne's shirt pulling back to the point of visibly stretching it both ref and linesman should have been able to see it.

good start for us though thought we looked much improved on last season's dross and until last 20 minutes were much more dangrous that Dumbarton. 

6 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Not debating it hit his arm but what part was deliberate? Not a pen for me.

You can't see it on the highlights but Wright had a good hold of Milne's shirt pulling back to the point of visibly stretching it both ref and linesman should have been able to see it.

good start for us though thought we looked much improved on last season's dross and until last 20 minutes were much more dangrous that Dumbarton. 

I think it was deliberate, but he didn't know what he was doing...if you understand what I'm saying. The ball got held up in the wind and he went to chest it, but instead 'armed' it. That's certainly what it looked like to me at the time, and what the highlights I guess confirm that.

I've just realised you can hear @Bring Back Paddy Flannery in the penalty shootout :lol:

I think it was deliberate, but he didn't know what he was doing...if you understand what I'm saying. The ball got held up in the wind and he went to chest it, but instead 'armed' it. That's certainly what it looked like to me at the time, and what the highlights I guess confirm that.

I've just realised you can hear @Bring Back Paddy Flannery in the penalty shootout :lol:

:lol:

#famous

We've not scored in the 1st half away from home since October the 17th (Grant Gallagher v Hibs), and before that it was August the 15th (Willie Gibson v St Mirren).

This away record is madness. The more you look at the stats the more horrific it gets. We could go a full calendar year without an away win quite easily at this rate.

A draw after the 90 minutes was probably the right result. Funnily enough, I felt most of the goals came against the run of play at the time

Mark Brown probably didn't do much wrong in the game and indeed saved a couple of one on ones. Seems to me his demeanour makes it look like he's nor interested

Garry Fleming should never again play that role. When you are the holding midfielder you just cannot get caught in possession.... You then leave the defence exposed. I am assuming he was only there because of Barr's injury, but surely Gallacher would have been a better option?

Gallacher himself? We saw both the good and bad from him.....well taken goal, but his snatching at opportunities meant he actually missed easier chances

I missed the pre season games, but Stirling impresses yesterday with his direct running, while Smith was fairly anonymous

Having seen our penalty again....I thought it was fairly soft at the time.... I think ref got it spot on....it was wind assisted but clearly hit his arm and as a result meant he unintentionally controlled the ball

As for Forfar's late penalty claim, I didn't see much in it to be honest

Well played Forfar though

Thoughts on yesterday's game.

We weren't good enough over the 90 minutes. We had spells during the game, particularly in the 2nd half, where we looked decent but nowhere near where we need to be for the start of the league campaign in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully we'll improve for playing games because right now we look very short on understanding.

Back 4 were poor. The fullbacks came into things as the game went on, but they just never looked comfortable. Buchanan was constantly being pulled out of position trying to close people down because Fleming wasn't doing his marking job in front of the defence. We've only added Pettigrew so hopefully the understanding will come, but we never really looked settled at the back.

Midfield looked ok in spells but Fleming was absolutely terrible. I like Garry but he looks miles off the pace of the game. He gave away possession countless times, was a yard off the pace of the game, looked to dwell on the ball too often and rarely found a teammate with a pass. Players were constantly having to cover for him as he plodded around the park. I thought Stevenson looked decent enough. Applied himself more than I expected. The 2 wide men look good. Stirling looked better than Smith, but its clear that both are comfortable playing wide and their positioning and movement were good.

Attacking? The service to Thompson was poor but I thought he battled well enough. He wasn't getting the support he needed or the supply and he had to go looking for the ball as a result. It was dragging him wide instead of allowing him to play centrally, but he looked decent enough. Big, strong, capable in the air or with the ball at his feet. The guy who was supposed to be supporting him was poor again. Gallagher might have scored our first goal but that miss when he was through on Adam and managed a powderpuff shot was woeful. He's not an attacking midfielder of any great quality and whilst he tries, he simply doesnt have it in his game to be genuinely effective in that role.

As for Mark Brown - he did little more than fall to the deck for the first 3 penalties. Absolutely shocking for a keeper with his experience.

No need to panic yet. Hopefully Stevie Aitken has learned that Garry Fleming can't play the Jon Routledge/Darren Barr holding midfield role as a genuine holding midfielder should give our back 4 a bit more protection. That in turn will help the more creative, attacking midfielders/wide men get on with trying to make something happen. I think it's pretty clear that our strongest 11 will be a 4-1-4-1, with Barr (if fit) protecting the defence, Stevenson given a bit more scope to make things happen and the wide man and one of Gallagher, Fleming and Todd tasked with supporting Thompson with runs from midfield. Quite who this will be is still up for grabs, but I can well see Fleming and Gallagher warming our bench this season if Todd can take his chance. Big question marks over both of them after yesterday's game.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Said the exact same thing yesterday. That must be about 3 times I've seen him getting sent off against us.

His 2nd yellow was the classic professional foul. Not dangerous but no attempt to play the ball and if he hadn't taken Thompson down then we were onto a decent break towards goal.

Mark Brown is as disinterested as a player, that I have ever seen, the only penalty he remotely tried for was the fifth one, even his one on ones during the game, I'd have saved, I think I'd rather have Barclay in goal on Tuesday night, he can't be any worse, yet , he may try a leg, 

Campaign started, Brown must go, and return the wages that he's cheated us out of, or donate to charity

Archived