Forfar Athletic v Dumbarton

18 minutes ago, Northern Son said:

If anyone is in the mood for watching the pens you can see them here.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/alkYaTFWR2p2YnJYenhqT2t8MVlxS0Ridk9YcUFKVuQpKcCrrivy9zY4jXp9wXed3yyqDEtxdwNEwY4VCEAq

Thought we had moments of promise today when we ran at Forfar, why we reverted to playing long balls that were being eaten up by the big central defenders is hard to fathom.

Cheers.

1. How windy was it, sounds like it was blowing a gale?

2. Was Brown putting much effort in? Looks like he canny be arsed on some of the pens.

3. Has Gal resumed normal service after his alleged injury?

4. Is Stevo any good as a playmaker in the middle of the park?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, I'm going out in 10 minutes, so just a quick rant about some of the decisions our coaching staff made today.

I don't think anyone could argue with the starting lineup, that should've been enough to beat Forfar today - but the lack of organisation was appalling. It was evident after 20 minutes Gaz was struggling with the deep midfield role. He likes to have time on the ball to run with it, and that's fine up top where he can lose it, but when it's effectively him and then our two centre-backs he can't take risks like he did and that cost us the 2nd goal - albeit it was an absolute thunderpeach.

Surely the best thing to do therefore would be move Fleming - a natural central attacking midfielder - in central attacking midfield, and move Gallagher - a player who made his name as one of the best central defensive midfielders in League One - to central defensive midfield? Nae idea why he didn't do that.

As is very evident I don't rate Gallagher at all, but in his defence he's being played at times almost as a target man, and very often in the No.10 role. This is a guy who had scored 9 goals in over 200 games for Stranraer under Aitken. I don't guy why we're trying to morph him into a player he isn't when we have a perfectly capable player in that role playing in the role where he is most comfortable.

That was one thing. We looked good getting the ball on the deck and running at their full-backs. Particularly wee Andy Stirling who went on some fantastic first half runs. As soon as we went a goal behind that stopped, and we played big high balls often in the direction of nobody which were dealt with easily by Stuart Malcolm and the big Robert Huth lookalike No.4. That happened last season as well away from home and I'm hugely disappointed to see it return. Nae idea if it's dugout instructions or just the players panicking, but it needs to stop as it's horrific.

We looked decent after Gal's equaliser - nice header too, although the left footed cross from Pettigrew was a beauty - Gallagher missed a few sitters in the game, but I don't blame him. Genuinely. Like I explained above he's not a goalscorer, Gaz would've scored at least one of them but he was playing too deep to cause any damage.

Forfar's thunderpeach 2nd again deflated us again, until the penalty was awarded. A lot of Loons fans around me were pretty angry, but it looked mental from Cox. One guy said "what's he supposed to do when the ball is dropping from the air"? Ehm, use his feet instead of looking like he was going to catch it would be a start.

Then came the 2nd odd tactical decision. Josh Todd came on - a striker or centre attacking midfielder - did Gallagher (the CDM playing in CAM) or Gaz (the CAM playing in CDM) go off? Nope, David Smith (who I thought was decent enough again) did, meaning we shifted Gallagher out wide. So that was a Winger going off leading to a CDM mid playing in CAM moving to...the wing. I just did not get that at all.

A few positives. The front three looked good when we kept the ball on the ground - 1st half Stirling in particular, Stevo looked fit and did a considerable amount of running. Almost won it with a cracking free-kick too and Todd was lively enough when he came on.

Blatant negatives though. It was far too similar to last season, and Stevie's comments on the website concern me: "If you take care of your home games you put yourself in a strong position." - Stevie, we should be looking to win an away game at a L2 club, with an attitude like that no wonder our players looked as if the game was a friendly. I don't buy all the dominated possession patter either, I'd looked pretty even to me and we certainly didn't trouble Grant Adam nearly enough.

Hopefully the usual home Dumbarton team will turn up against East Fife, but it doesn't help that we have a manager who seems to make away games as difficult as possible for ourselves before looking out the excuse book and hitting out with some odd positives.

1st half was awful , constant high balls up the park.

Thought Andy Stirling in particular was good today, along with Smith who was decent.

Playing Thomson on his own up front, why?? He had nobody on the end of his knockdowns, big chap worked hard today.

We should have had enough beat Forfar today, Gallagher had a sitter to seal the win for Sons, when he stepped up in Pens you just knew he'd sky it. 

Well done to Forfar tho.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Why were the Forfar fans raging at the ref?

Because he was atrocious. Twice we had forwards through on goal only to have their shirts pulled by Sons defenders then you guys get a ridiculous penalty.

Cheers.

1. How windy was it, sounds like it was blowing a gale?

2. Was Brown putting much effort in? Looks like he canny be arsed on some of the pens.

3. Has Gal resumed normal service after his alleged injury?

4. Is Stevo any good as a playmaker in the middle of the park?

1. Fairly blustery in the second half but nothing like as bad as my phone made it appear
2. Brown was unconvincing for the entire game not just the shoot out. Must sap the defenders confidence playing in front of a keeper with so little presence.
3. Scored a decent header, missed a good chance when right through on goal, atrocious penalty
4. In my opinion the jury still has to be out. Attempted too many Hollywood balls for my liking. Hit the frame of the goal from a free kick near the end.

We needed to move the ball quicker, and on the deck, today.

Right, I'm going out in 10 minutes, so just a quick rant about some of the decisions our coaching staff made today.

I don't think anyone could argue with the starting lineup, that should've been enough to beat Forfar today - but the lack of organisation was appalling. It was evident after 20 minutes Gaz was struggling with the deep midfield role. He likes to have time on the ball to run with it, and that's fine up top where he can lose it, but when it's effectively him and then our two centre-backs he can't take risks like he did and that cost us the 2nd goal - albeit it was an absolute thunderpeach.

Surely the best thing to do therefore would be move Fleming - a natural central attacking midfielder - in central attacking midfield, and move Gallagher - a player who made his name as one of the best central defensive midfielders in League One - to central defensive midfield? Nae idea why he didn't do that.

As is very evident I don't rate Gallagher at all, but in his defence he's being played at times almost as a target man, and very often in the No.10 role. This is a guy who had scored 9 goals in over 200 games for Stranraer under Aitken. I don't guy why we're trying to morph him into a player he isn't when we have a perfectly capable player in that role playing in the role where he is most comfortable.

That was one thing. We looked good getting the ball on the deck and running at their full-backs. Particularly wee Andy Stirling who went on some fantastic first half runs. As soon as we went a goal behind that stopped, and we played big high balls often in the direction of nobody which were dealt with easily by Stuart Malcolm and the big Robert Huth lookalike No.4. That happened last season as well away from home and I'm hugely disappointed to see it return. Nae idea if it's dugout instructions or just the players panicking, but it needs to stop as it's horrific.

We looked decent after Gal's equaliser - nice header too, although the left footed cross from Pettigrew was a beauty - Gallagher missed a few sitters in the game, but I don't blame him. Genuinely. Like I explained above he's not a goalscorer, Gaz would've scored at least one of them but he was playing too deep to cause any damage.

Forfar's thunderpeach 2nd again deflated us again, until the penalty was awarded. A lot of Loons fans around me were pretty angry, but it looked mental from Cox. One guy said "what's he supposed to do when the ball is dropping from the air"? Ehm, use his feet instead of looking like he was going to catch it would be a start.

Then came the 2nd odd tactical decision. Josh Todd came on - a striker or centre attacking midfielder - did Gallagher (the CDM playing in CAM) or Gaz (the CAM playing in CDM) go off? Nope, David Smith (who I thought was decent enough again) did, meaning we shifted Gallagher out wide. So that was a Winger going off leading to a CDM mid playing in CAM moving to...the wing. I just did not get that at all.

A few positives. The front three looked good when we kept the ball on the ground - 1st half Stirling in particular, Stevo looked fit and did a considerable amount of running. Almost won it with a cracking free-kick too and Todd was lively enough when he came on.

Blatant negatives though. It was far too similar to last season, and Stevie's comments on the website concern me: "If you take care of your home games you put yourself in a strong position." - Stevie, we should be looking to win an away game at a L2 club, with an attitude like that no wonder our players looked as if the game was a friendly. I don't buy all the dominated possession patter either, I'd looked pretty even to me and we certainly didn't trouble Grant Adam nearly enough.

Hopefully the usual home Dumbarton team will turn up against East Fife, but it doesn't help that we have a manager who seems to make away games as difficult as possible for ourselves before looking out the excuse book and hitting out with some odd positives.

Can't argue with any of that although gallagher should have put away his one on one with the keeper

Because he was atrocious. Twice we had forwards through on goal only to have their shirts pulled by Sons defenders then you guys get a ridiculous penalty.

He was just as atrocious from a Sons point of view.

Why was the penalty ridiculous? Cox clearly handled the ball inside the penalty area.

That would be the one where the Forfar player handled the ball I guess

I was surprised at the booing of Stevo, has he done something in the past to rile up the Forfar fans? Scott Broon levels of hate directed towards him. The guys in the suits at that far end were spitting teeth :lol: not sure if it's just a case of folk disliking him because he's a well known player.

Also the cheering of the head knock on big Frazer Wright was extremely odd. The big man got completely wiped out before the Forfar fans exploded with a strange cheer. Dafuq.

Totally agree about the comments regarding Brown during the shootout. He barely even made an attempt to dive for the ball, it was effectively an open goal for Forfar. Lets hope to f**k Jazza is back rapid.

Stevie's comments are straight out the gaffer cliche handbook, I wouldn't pay too much attention to them.

He was just as atrocious from a Sons point of view.

Why was the penalty ridiculous? Cox clearly handled the ball inside the penalty area.

From where we were sitting, it looked like he got his head on it and, off balance, headed it on to his hand. Seemed a bit harsh tbh. No one around him and completely accidental.

Definite pull on the Forfar attacker late on as he closed in on goal. Ref seemed overly keen to give the Sons their penalty but not so much for the loons.

Look forward to watching the highlights tonight.

I thought the Sons' penalty was an absolute stonewaller. Looked like it was an instinctive thing Cox did, he'd handled it before he realised what he was doing.

Was too far away from the Forfar claim to tell, but I reckon if the player had gone down he'd have got it, but because he stayed on his feet and took the shot he didn't.

The guy beside me was spitting his false teeth over the red card at the end too. I thought it was the most obvious second booking you would ever see.

The guy beside me was spitting his false teeth over the red card at the end too. I thought it was the most obvious second booking you would ever see.

Absolutely, although I thought he was going to escape. The ref seemed to forget it was his 2nd yellow.

I thought the Sons' penalty was an absolute stonewaller. Looked like it was an instinctive thing Cox did, he'd handled it before he realised what he was doing.

^ This

Think he was instinctively using his hand to control the ball.

The second yellow was a stick on, Thomson would have been in the clear if he hadn't been deliberately tripped.

Absolutely, although I thought he was going to escape. The ref seemed to forget it was his 2nd yellow.

I would like to claim my part in getting him sent off. The ref booked him and he walked off and I politely enquired as to whether or not the gentleman in question had been booked. He then walked over and showed him the second booking.

To be honest the ref was that poor I wouldn't be surprised if he had forgotten he'd booked him [emoji23]

Lots of things to take from today's match. Our away form didn't improve much and we seen what most of us pretty much knew going into the game today, more of less.

We are dreadfully short in the final third. Todd might be the answer, but we still need another proper striker on board. 

Of the back 4 I actually was surprised at Pettigrew being the one who looked most comfortable with the rest of the defence really struggling at times. Unusual when you consider how many games those 3 have played together in the last 12 months!

Garry wasn't really upto much today either. The ball seemed to bypass him over and over. In fact it bypassed the whole midfield countless times. Which shouldn't happen when you have a midfield central 3 of him, Stevo and Gall. 

Stevo just seems far too much of a luxury to me and today he didn't contribute the same from deliveries as he has the last couple of friendly games. Which meant he contributed not much at all. Gall tries really hard and took his goal well, but looked far too much like the player we seen all of last season again today. He was by far not the worst today though!!

The attacking 3 looked good at times. With them all being new I expect it to take time for them to really get going. But we seen flashes of how dangerous we will be capable of being this season.

My gripe with Thomson was, he was winning nothing in the air, so started to gamble in behind the defenders every time just about. Which wasn't working because no one was supporting him in any way, shape or form. Had we another player up with him to challenge and put pressure on the defenders, they may have missed one. As it was, they lapped every ridiculous long ball up with ease.

Lots of stuff to work on, but if you look into the game enough, I think we have the makings of a good side. Even if I do think we are 1 or 2 bodies short overall.

Archived