The Celtic (a.k.a 'The Champions) thread 2016/17

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

Didn't post for a good few weeks. Had a wee stay at the pleasure of Her Maj, methinks.

3 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

Wouldn't be the first time, allegedly.

Really? Davie Bhoy's spent time in the pokey? what for???

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Deeboy said:

Probably saving photographs of minors to his hard drive. 

If not yet, he will. 

Have to admit that I have a few of those myself......

a-line-of-classic-morris-minor-motor-car

3 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Early in the season and already the onus is on us & the Mutton Molestors to try & raise the co-efficient standards.

Always a pleasure...never a chore!

You do realize that if Celtic fail to make the ECL Group stages then they will be responsible for losing the bulk of Scotland's coefficent points? 

No pressure......

You do realize that if Celtic fail to make the ECL Group stages then they will be responsible for losing the bulk of Scotland's coefficent points? 

No pressure......

We're always expected to carry out countries hopes so nothing new there. Hopefully Aberdeen can make the group stages too. Will be difficult enough for us since we haven't strengthened enough.

I'll reiterate my point in another thread but is anyone getting slightly worried about the lack of signings? I reckon we need another quality CB, preferably another deep lying midfielder and another striker.

Not getting this love for Scott Sinclair, aye he played arguably his best soccer under Rodgers but its the one area we have an over abundance of players. Suppose he could be better than what we have but I don't see that area as a priority at present.

3 hours ago, 11thHour said:

I'll reiterate my point in another thread but is anyone getting slightly worried about the lack of signings? I reckon we need another quality CB, preferably another deep lying midfielder and another striker.

Not getting this love for Scott Sinclair, aye he played arguably his best soccer under Rodgers but its the one area we have an over abundance of players. Suppose he could be better than what we have but I don't see that area as a priority at present.

Maybe Brenda is happy with the players at his disposal for the moment, maybe assessing the shower of shite he has to identify what he thinks needs to punt and where to strengthen. He could for the sake of keeping the fans happy delve into the market and buy a few expensive quality players to strengthen key or weak areas in the squad, but I think he is taking his time to get to know the players a little bit better so he can assess better who should go and who would do a job better than the current crop of players.

Brenda is here long term as his contract states and he has the time to rebuild the squad, but the fans like yourself are getting a bit antsy or impatient. Some have slagged off the prestigious tournament the club has engaged in, but personally myself it is the best test on the current squad to see who is up to the task. The club might suffer a bad start to the season or could get off to a flyer eventually as Brenda gets the squad playing far better than roaring Ronny, some managers can get a squad of players to play far better than the previous manager did and then buying expensive duds would be a waste of money.

Personally I think Brenda is in the market to acquire quality players he knows will do a job and might actually pay for them unlike our current policy over the past 5 or so years to buy in bulk and hope we get loadsa money back on players who shine. Sometimes pays off and at other times fcuks the club over financially because we bought a load of dead donkeys.

Should eventually be a leaner squad with higher quality players that we can hold onto financially and build from that core year on year hopefully. 

39 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Maybe Brenda is happy with the players at his disposal for the moment, maybe assessing the shower of shite he has to identify what he thinks needs to punt and where to strengthen. He could for the sake of keeping the fans happy delve into the market and buy a few expensive quality players to strengthen key or weak areas in the squad, but I think he is taking his time to get to know the players a little bit better so he can assess better who should go and who would do a job better than the current crop of players.

Brenda is here long term as his contract states and he has the time to rebuild the squad, but the fans like yourself are getting a bit antsy or impatient. Some have slagged off the prestigious tournament the club has engaged in, but personally myself it is the best test on the current squad to see who is up to the task. The club might suffer a bad start to the season or could get off to a flyer eventually as Brenda gets the squad playing far better than roaring Ronny, some managers can get a squad of players to play far better than the previous manager did and then buying expensive duds would be a waste of money.

Personally I think Brenda is in the market to acquire quality players he knows will do a job and might actually pay for them unlike our current policy over the past 5 or so years to buy in bulk and hope we get loadsa money back on players who shine. Sometimes pays off and at other times fcuks the club over financially because we bought a load of dead donkeys.

Should eventually be a leaner squad with higher quality players that we can hold onto financially and build from that core year on year hopefully. 

Isn't he on a 12 month rolling contract?

1 minute ago, Vanderlei said:

Isn't he on a 12 month rolling contract?

The wages Celtic are paying him?, they want him long term. You don't pay that amount of money for a short term manager.

29 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

The wages Celtic are paying him?, they want him long term. You don't pay that amount of money for a short term manager.

They're paying him that wage because they have to.

If you want a manager long term, you give him a 5 year contract. 

Just now, Vanderlei said:

They're paying him that wage because they have to.

If you want a manager long term, you give him a 5 year contract. 

And if the manager is pish after a few months?, how much does that cost the club?

Celtic are paying him loads to keep Brenda here.

In terms of signings, there is something that is outwith Rodgers control behind the scenes. Kolo. . . Is he really the answer to our defence at present? Midfield, as old as he might be, Kevin Nolan, he is available on free transfer, great midfielder who could allow Brown to move up the field like the player he was at Hibs.

18 hours ago, Mahonio said:

What is Atajic up to nowadays lol, he would be a good signing for ICT as would Ciftci, if BR doesn't fancy using him much lol?

Atajic left two years ago.  Playing in Finland last I heard.

Just now, hellbhoy said:

Equaliser :) O'Connell :thumsup2

Cracking strike, loved the way he motioned for everyone to leave it and then placed it in the corner. A lot of players would have just went for power and hammered it over the bar. 

Archived