The Celtic (a.k.a 'The Champions) thread 2016/17

I knew it finished a score draw but the final victor won the penalty shoot out.

I didn't get to see the penalties because I had made a deal with the missus, I was so certain we'd get pumped in the 90 minutes that she put off shopping until the final whistle. And as women do to piss you off because you were stupid enough to make a deal, she held me to because it was the final whistle and she made the make you feel shitty speech and I had to go shopping. :bairn

WTF?!?!?![emoji23]

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed yesterday's game. Both teams put out fairly strong starting line-up's & both teams went for it. Was a bit like the friendlies of old against English opposition. This is how you want to test yourself.

Thought a draw was a fair result (ignore that penalty bollocks), & it was the ideal kind of game before we face Astana. Thankfully no injuries were picked up either.

1 minute ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Really enjoyed yesterday's game. Both teams put out fairly strong starting line-up's & both teams went for it. Was a bit like the friendlies of old against English opposition. This is how you want to test yourself.

Thought a draw was a fair result (ignore that penalty bollocks), & it was the ideal kind of game before we face Astana. Thankfully no injuries were picked up either.

This is the same ridiculous mindset that sees the ***s claim that they were European Champions Cup semi-finals because they finished behind Marseille in their group :lol:

Fucking idiot.

This is the same ridiculous mindset that sees the ***s claim that they were European Champions Cup semi-finals because they finished behind Marseille in their group :lol:

Fucking idiot.

:lol: How the hell did you come up with that analogy. Jeez give your head a wobble.

You lost the game on penalties.

Why are Celtic fans claiming otherwise? :lol:

As for "this is how you want to test yourself", it's a pre-season friendly ffs :lol:

Yes we lost on penalties. Nobody could really give a shit about that. In fact I'm away for the weekend and watched it on TV & loads of us never even had a clue it was going to penalties. It's a nonsense idea but hey ho if that's the format then that's what you have to do. We're just more interested in how we test is ourselves against a good side over 90 mins.

Of course it is. Although it was a different type of pre-season friendly than the one against Wolfsburg which we won & I paid little attention to the result. This was two teams having a go & none of your namby pamby kick-abouts. Next weekend against Barca will be another of these namby pamby kick-abouts.

Listen, regardless of what I say....Celtic are involved & it comes back to that whole point about you not being able to be objective when it comes to Celtic.

Again, you don't seem to understand what objectivity is. What is it you want me to say? Well done on losing on pens in a friendly? 

You're the one claiming you didn't lose ffs :lol:

You could talk about lots of things. There were loads of positives from a Celtic perspective. Amazingly you seem to have missed all of them & instead just want to concentrate on putting the boot in.

Also, why were the Celtic players "having a go" but didn't bother doing that in Gibraltar?

That's a good question. No doubt raising our game because we know the calibre of Leicester City while poss expecting to just turn up, do little & still come away with a comfortable victory against the Red Imps. Only the players will know the answer to that though.

12 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

:lol: How the hell did you come up with that analogy. Jeez give your head a wobble.

It's simple.

Rangers fans have long trotted out this myth which is total pish. You are claiming you drew a game, which you in fact lost. If Astana punt you out on penalties after two 0-0 draws, who will have won?

:1eye

Daviebhigot, this may surprise you but I had better things to do yesterday than watch Celtic play in a friendly. All I saw was the result, which I haven't even said anything positive nor negative about. I've only commented on two utter zoomers claiming that losing on penalties doesn't mean losing a game :1eye

Nobody is disputing we lost the game on penalties. What we're saying is we really don't give a shit about the penalties as it's just a friendly tournament. The penalties in the grand scheme of thing mean very little. What is it yourself and others find hard to understand about this?

Yet again you are in tears and getting defensive because you perceive someone is "putting the boot in" to your beloved team.

Defensive? By highlighting this worrying trend from you. By your own admission you didn't even watch the game yet her you are putting the boot into Celtic. Doesn't really speak much for your credentials as poster on here now does it if your mantra is 'let's just have a go at Celtic'.

Like I said...you're incapable of being objective when it comes to Celtic.

In a nutshell, Celtic played in a "high level friendly" against the EPL champions, result aside, it gave the players the match practice required to take to Astana. I would take a scrappy draw or 1 nil win over there given the conditions and how they were undefeated at home in the Champions League last season.

No, you're claiming you didn't lose the game when you did.

No, I'm not. I was obviously speaking about our result over 90 mins which is what we're all basing it on. Losing the tie on penalties is neither here nor there. It's not a meaningful competition so matters not a jot. Why can you not accept that. You obviously want us all to be seething at losing a penalty shoot-out.

Where have I "put the boot into Celtic"? Show me please.

Then what has your contribution to this subject been then?

11 hours ago, The OP said:

Celtic didn't lose the game m9.

56 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Thought a draw was a fair result (ignore that penalty bollocks)

22 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Nobody is disputing we lost the game on penalties.

:1eye

:lol:

1 minute ago, Mozzamozza said:

You've no fucking chance m8.

:lol:

A nil nil draw over there and a one each draw at Parkhead should see Celtic safely through to the next round...

Reasonable enough performance, held the ball up well enough, though we seemed a bit lacking in the final third.  Two great goals, some great penalties and an impressive numbers brought up from Leicester.  Enjoyable enough for a friendly.

Archived