UEFA Nations League

2 hours ago, The Master said:

League C confirmed, along with Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia and Lithuania.

Let's be honest - if we have any aspirations of ever qualifying for a major tournament again, we need to be capable of utterly skooshing any group selected from that lot.

But these are precisely the teams we always struggle against in qualifying. 

If that was a massive World Cup qualifying group, I'd be pretty pissed off if Scotland didn't win that group.  

Basically, we can measure ourselves by how well we play against Slovenia.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, velo army said:

I suppose you're right in that sense. I was just thinking about playing crap teams and having little in the way of "big game" experience in the run up to qualification proper.  

Was just about to post that same question. I suppose the way to look at it is that one benefit of doing well and being promoted is that you 'up' your level of opponents for next time round and are theoretically then better placed to face tougher opponents if and when you enter a EC or WC finals tournament

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

Am I right in thinking that seeding for Euro 2020 qualifying will be based on UEFA coefficient after completion of Nations League? A good campaign in the NL could see us jump into Pot 2 for qualifiers.

Pot 4 it is

We can't make Pot 2 for Euro 2020 qualifying now.

We can still make Pot 3 by winning our section or being one of the 2 best runners-up.

Netherlands have maintained a high enough coefficient... Remember that in this campaign just ended they won 6, drew 1 and lost 3 games; in Euro 2016 qualifying they won 4, drew 1 and lost 5; and in WC 2014 qualifying won 9, drew 0, lost 1.

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If that was a massive World Cup qualifying group, I'd be pretty pissed off if Scotland didn't win that group.  

Basically, we can measure ourselves by how well we play against Slovenia.

I'd say Serbia are a better team than us. Their 2014 campaign was a bit all over the place after the Albania game but they seem to be back as a consistent 1/2/3 placed side. The rest are unsurprisingly at our level and I think we'd end up somewhere in the middle.

I've noticed a lot of the teams in League C seem to be from the same geographical region. I hope they all get along...

25 minutes ago, charger29 said:

I'd say Serbia are a better team than us. Their 2014 campaign was a bit all over the place after the Albania game but they seem to be back as a consistent 1/2/3 placed side. The rest are unsurprisingly at our level and I think we'd end up somewhere in the middle.

I've noticed a lot of the teams in League C seem to be from the same geographical region. I hope they all get along...

I hope they don't.  I hope they all fall out violently and get suspended from international football.   I was under the impression we did well against Serbia.  We didn't.  We got trounced.  Oh well, another tournament we won't be going to. 

The only real problem there is between Serbia and Albania, but they are in the same seeding group so can't draw each other... though they could meet in the playoffs, I suppose.

Don't want to be in the same group as Greece and Cyprus in case they arrange some mutually beneficial Eurovision-style stitch-up.

34 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah but World Cup 2014 qualifying is ages ago. Surely that must drop off eventually? Pretty mad that a team could potentially qualify for an event in 2020 because they did well more than six years earlier?

UEFA coefficient is 40% campaign just ended, 40% previous campaign, 20% campaign before that. As things stand it'll be irrelevant from now anyway... Nations League finishing positions (for Euros) and world rankings (for WCs) will matter.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The only real problem there is between Serbia and Albania, but they are in the same seeding group so can't draw each other... though they could meet in the playoffs, I suppose.

Don't want to be in the same group as Greece and Cyprus in case they arrange some mutually beneficial Eurovision-style stitch-up.

True. It seems that Serbian fans could start a fight in an empty room though. I'm sure it won't be long until they're in trouble again no matter who they're playing.

23 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah but World Cup 2014 qualifying is ages ago. Surely that must drop off eventually? Pretty mad that a team could potentially qualify for an event in 2020 because they did well more than six years earlier?

They'll lose their 2014 WC FIFA ranking points around when the 2018 WC finishes I think.

I don't really think it's that bad to use the last 4 years in the rankings. They do use a weighting, so it's not like 2014 points = 2017 points. It'd give us an advantage though if FIFA cut it to 3 years. I think I read they'll review how the rankings work after the 2018 WC.

So were definitely in League C and amongst the top seeds with Hungary, Romania and Slovenia.

In Pot 2 at our level are Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway

In Pot 3 are Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland

and Pot 4 Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania.

Greece or Serbia will be tough as would Montenegro and Israel. I hope to f**k we don't get Lithuania again, we've drawn them so many times in the last 12-15 years and Cyprus would also be tough.

So, ideally Albania, Finland and Estonia.

It's still hilarious to me that one of the League D teams below are going to be at Euro 2020.  Brilliant for them, could really kick some of them on, but deary me.  Looks like they're in seeding order, so one of those top 4 looking like favourites at the moment?  At least if we make it to Euro 2020 and Georgia do too, we presumably won't be playing them in Tbilisi...

League A League B League C League D
Germany Austria Hungary Azerbaijan
Portugal Wales Romania Macedonia
Belgium Russia Scotland Belarus
Spain Slovakia Slovenia Georgia
France Sweden Greece Armenia
England Ukraine Serbia Latvia
Switzerland Republic of Ireland Albania Faroe Islands
Italy Bosnia and Herzegovina Norway Luxembourg
Poland Northern Ireland Montenegro Kazakhstan
Iceland Denmark Israel Moldova
Croatia Czech Republic Bulgaria Liechtenstein
Netherlands Turkey Finland Malta
    Cyprus Andorra
    Estonia Kosovo
    Lithuania San Marino
      Gibraltar

I'd predict Faroe Islands will do it. Copy the Iceland rise of recent years.

Let's be honest though, we're going to lose out anyway, so might as well get beat by decent teams. Getting our tatties from Finland and Albania doesn't sound like much fun.

edit - Read through the whole thing and it's laughably complex, especially for the common fan that still thinks away goals count as double.

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'd predict Faroe Islands will do it. Copy the Iceland rise of recent years.

Let's be honest though, we're going to lose out anyway, so might as well get beat by decent teams. Getting our tatties from Finland and Albania doesn't sound like much fun.

Good point, Faroes managed a decent points total (9 was it?) for a side of their level.  Would be great to see someone like them qualify.

I'm amazed we're ranked ahead of them tbh. Did they have a shite qualifying campaign last time out or something?

I'm amazed we're ranked ahead of them tbh. Did they have a shite qualifying campaign last time out or something?

They did but there was also the messy Serbia vs Albania game which had a lot of violence and was abandoned. Was eventually given as a 3-0 win to Albania, with Serbia having to play behind closed doors for some other home matches

8 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

With the exception of Cyprus i would be pretty confident of us dropping points against ALL of those teams

Results v those nations since 2000:

Hungary - L
Romania - L
Slovenia - DWDWD
Greece - not played
Serbia - DL
Albania - not played
Norway - DLLDLW
Montenegro - not played
Israel - not played
Bulgaria - W
Cyprus - W
Estonia - WW
Lithuania - LWWWDWDW

Here's hoping for Norway, Bulgaria, Cyprus/Estonia, then!

Archived