UEFA Nations League

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Having ended with light-hearted jocularity about understanding the format before anyone else... did Sportscene just conclude by saying we're 3 games from Euro 2020?!

Didn’t see it, but assume they were meaning we only need to win 3 games (and draw the other 2) to qualify.

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Didn’t see it, but assume they were meaning we only need to win 3 games (and draw the other 2) to qualify.

Aye beat Israel at home & draw both away games to win the group. Then a win and a draw in both the play-off semi and final would qualify us.

4 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Aye beat Israel at home & draw both away games to win the group. Then a win and a draw in both the play-off semi and final would qualify us.

Yes we understand that, but there’s no chance they meant that on Sportscene! 

45 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The playoff semi and final are just single matches, not two legs

Interesting - I didn't know that about the semi-final. Are they held at the home of the higher ranked team, or is the whole mini-tournament played out on neutral territory somewhere?

10 hours ago, forameus said:

^^^
I take it back.  Clearly the greatest competition ever conceived.

Only half an hour from leaving the ground to actually getting a seat on the train too.  :lol:

14 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

if albania can beat israel i'd expect us to beat them but i can imagine they will be half decent at home.

Albania pumped them 3-0 in Israel in the WC2018 qualifying.  Bizarrely they're two teams who appear to be more dangerous away from home - Israel won the corresponding fixture in Tirana by the same scoreline.

3 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Albania pumped them 3-0 in Israel in the WC2018 qualifying.  Bizarrely they're two teams who appear to be more dangerous away from home - Israel won the corresponding fixture in Tirana by the same scoreline.

strange, im confident if we play like that last night we will win

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Don’t think that’s right, think it’s the higher ranked team at home in the semi-final and a draw for Home in the final.

You're right as far as I'm aware. Video on UEFA website shows it (down a bit on right side of page). I think it's the nations league finals for League A which has one host city.

#1 or #2 seed is pretty vital. Don't see us winning away to someone like Serbia. Might need 9-10 points to get that home game though. With the final play-off game only three days after the semi, they should just give the home game to the no1 seed so everyone knows after the whistle where they're playing.

7 minutes ago, charger29 said:

You're right as far as I'm aware. Video on UEFA website shows it (down a bit on right side of page). I think it's the nations league finals for League A which has one host city.

#1 or #2 seed is pretty vital. Don't see us winning away to someone like Serbia. Might need 9-10 points to get that home game though. With the final play-off game only three days after the semi, they should just give the home game to the no1 seed so everyone knows after the whistle where they're playing.

I’m assuming the final is treated like a home game in terms of fans and ticket allocations, which seems a bit unfair to me. The away team should be allowed a sizeable allocation to make it as even as possible.

25 minutes ago, charger29 said:

That wouldn't be particularly fair if the #4 seed ended up beating the #1 seed - you'd have a lower seeded side at home to a higher seeded side despite the final draw being "seeded". I'm sure the draw for the final will be held before the semi-finals take place, so we will know the venue for the final immediately after the whistle.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That wouldn't be particularly fair if the #4 seed ended up beating the #1 seed - you'd have a lower seeded side at home to a higher seeded side despite the final draw being "seeded". I'm sure the draw for the final will be held before the semi-finals take place, so we will know the venue for the final immediately after the whistle.

Yeah, I meant the highest seed participating in the final gets the home game.

It would make sense to do the draw before the semi. It's a short time frame either way.

Archived