League cup structure. . .

mart1

It was £5 for adults for our game vs Elgin last night, terrific value for money in the end!

Thats interesting. A number of clubs are adamant that £12 is the minimum they are allowed to charge.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Phoenix
23 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Thats interesting. A number of clubs are adamant that £12 is the minimum they are allowed to charge.

If both Clubs agree they can charge what they want.

The minimum only comes into play if the Clubs can't agree.

I think the prices issue is difficult because most crowds have been lower in comparison to other competitive games... If clubs charge £5 instead of £15 and the gate is say 400 instead of 300 then they'll have lost some considerable money.

In terms of the structure - as a substitute for friendlies it has worked. Crowds have been middling, but better than friendlies; going into the last weekend most of the automatic qualifier places are undecided, and some of the groups still have more than 2 clubs in contention for the top 2 places; a couple of seeded clubs have gone out and a couple of unseeded clubs have impressed.

Personally I still think more than 12 clubs should progress from 40, e.g. let all 8 runners-up through and have them contest a play-off round.

One thing I'm surprised about are a number of posts congratulating the bonus point shoot-outs. Are people meaning this in terms of novelty at the match, or actually in terms of affecting the groups? Dundee United is currently the only club whose bonus points are making any difference - it'll be interesting to see come the weekend if any groups are.

I like the new structure and it's much better than meaningless friendlies. Personally I would like to see teams being able to use 2 trialists max per group game and also increase subs from 3 to 5 in the group games to allow more players game time then normal service in the last 16. £10 tops for adults and £1 for kids. Keep the penalties too, purely for excitement/entertainment value and something away from the norm.

5 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

Personally I would like to see teams being able to use 2 trialists max per group game and also increase subs from 3 to 5 in the group games to allow more players game time 

No. Just no. 

Morton charge £10 and £5 - likely because our home games are against pub league opposition and the club no longer trust turnstile operators to handle coin change. That level is about right IMO (and would be a clear earner compared to one or two games for the majority of sides under the old format). The idea of introducing additional subs or trialists belongs in the sea - any competent team facing four competitive games in 21 days or less has the full opportunity to rotate their team to build match fitness. They also shouldn't be going into the first game without a credible pre-season schedule. Fielding trialists in a TV game would be an embarrassment.

I would be surprised if we saw additional substitutes in future seasons. It would be allowable though - happens in the Community Shield and Scandinavian LC sections.

I would not be at all surprised if we saw triallists. They used to allow them in Challenge Cup R1. It would appease the grumbles of the 'big' clubs, and help the smaller clubs. (e.g. Berwick played a full pre-season of about 6 friendlies but were eliminated after 2 games and may well finish without a win. In future I'd expect us to treat it more as pre-season instead of trying to be up-to-seed beforehand).

Main reason I could see SPFL resisting that would be a concern that, by making it ever easier to treat it like pre-season, it would tip the fine balance and discourage attendances etc.

Any additional subs over three should be deployed at half time therefore not creating any additional stoppages.  So if 5 subs are allowed then two of them must be made at half time, if you don't use them you lose them.

Think their should be a play off for all 2nd places randomly drawn. North teams seeded against southern teams. Like a round 1.5 normal rules tho ET and Pens if required. Also only over 1 leg.

Any additional subs over three should be deployed at half time therefore not creating any additional stoppages.  So if 5 subs are allowed then two of them must be made at half time, if you don't use them you lose them.

Absolute nonsense.

The only change to subs i would consider looking at would be in the group stage only 4 subs are allowed.

I would think 4 subs would be rare but managers would be more comfortable using their already allowed 3 and keep one spare for injury cover.

20 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Warburton was very critical of it as not being the way he'd want the players prepared for the start of the season but, though it may not fit in with his plans, I think it's been a big success for the fans.

Surely there was a way around it for Warburton and his players that would have allowed them to give this a miss?

Something like, I dunno? Winning the Scottish Cup Final or something?

Wasn't sure but overall think it working,

8 groups and going into final weekend only one has been decided, and 4 of the other 7 could still have any one of three teams top at the end.

Keep the penalties, haven't done any harm and bit of excitement at end of a drawn game, with a point for it.

Only pity is making the numbers work to not have free dates for teams.

27 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

From an SPFL perspective it's clearly failed given the number of diddy teams that have qualified for the last 16

You jest of course, but you can tell Doncaster and his mates will be absolutely gutted the likes of Alloa and Morton have got through.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

You jest of course, but you can tell Doncaster and his mates will be absolutely gutted the likes of Alloa and Morton have got through.

I look forward to next season's re-revamped League Cup where everyone below the top 15 has a great big set of playoffs with one team going through.

Archived