The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

There was this man right and what he did was, well, he walked into this pub right and what happened was he hurt his head. Why are you not laughing? Because my son, it should have been "a man walked into a bar and knocked himself out.. it was an iron bar". It's all about the delivery...

The sat nav delivered us there after an hour of M8 blocked roads and diversions and it delivered us back quicker and happier. It's all about the delivery. An old skool junior ground with a tiny car park designed before there were cars and a crumbling homage to the glory days of large crowds of the past. A pie stall with shutters down, timeously opened as me and the old man arrived at it, much to the ironic banter of the poor lad who had been standing there for 15 minutes waiting behind a red and white chain, only to be queue skipped. The only pie stall in junior football with security fencing!! No toilets though due to the failure to insert 50p in the clubhouse lecky meter so the old man had to vault the chain and use the away team changing room bogs courtesy of the gaffer.. his first risky and brave decision of the day having as I do, previous sensory knowledge of the state my old man leaves a toilet in [emoji40]. Good effort by Thorney Wid though who provided a match programme for £1, which was adorned by the standard "new guys at a club" strip (or scarf) holding posed photo of the new management team. Just as well the lad is baldy or he would have been pulling his hair out at times during the following 90 mins. What makes a club and what separates the triers from the acceptors?? Do you try to improve or accept you are what you are? This cannot be as good as it gets ....in life or in football. That's why we had Brexit and Trump.. same old same old is not acceptable. If you don't try then you are finished and a stagnating club (and I have seen plenty of them over the years) have their work cut out to do anything for my football soul. To have a go and believe that you can improve is a credit worthy cause and I think Thorniewood fall into that category. New manager and a match day program. A great effort for a quid. If you don't try then you are a name of a team in a league, not a club. Well done and credit to them for believing that they can do better and making an effort.

Whilst the Scottish cup raged else where, we have an "every game is a cup final" scenario as we push for promotion. It's all about delivering the 3 points. Points mean prizes, fancy play means?? Well it means nothing at this stage of the season unless it comes with points. 2 first half goals from a great John Sweeney chipped through ball and our only corner that cleared the first man (bane of my football watching life that! [emoji35]) got us ahead twice which was just as well as some uncharacteristic piss poor naïveté at the back let our hosts back in. 2 goals and a Logan on the scoresheet for both teams as the half time whistle blew. The tantalising Eye Candy of the opening 15 minutes replaced by a Huff Puff Candy for the next half hour. They had already hit the post and had Donald J Trumpet not blown for half time just after awarding them a free kick right on the edge of the box.. we could have been behind. We could have been winning, we could have been behind, but we were drawing and so were the large and as usual vocal Candy Crowd who drew breath after a busy see saw first half.

The ThorneyWidders started the second half well and hit the post again from a well delivered free kick, one of those "pit it in a dangerous area and make somebody deal with it" types that to my frustration we rarely utilise, nobody did and it skidded past everyone, off the inside of the post and back into a melee which we scrambled away. It's all about the delivery.... we only played and controlled the game for the first 15 mins and the last 15 as we made a couple of brave managerial decisions and positional changes and brought on young Sherman who was very quick and direct, and Jordan Logan fresh from Donald J Trumpet's executive order lambasting dressing down after a little too much verbal from the bench. These changes were the difference and we turned the screw and after a CandyCrowdCrescendo inducing goal was correctly chalked off for offside we took the lead with 3 mins to go in more subdued manner as a ricochet pinball goalmouth scramble ended up at the feet of Trump's mate Logie who smashed it high into the net. Just like the real USA version, no one knew what Trump was signaling as he stood rooted pointing in the direction of the goal scorer as Jordan whipped his shirt off and ran past him to the Candy Corner as our fans discussed the lastest confusing and worrying Trump order.."its aff side" (it did look a bit suspicious to me) "naw it's a goal" "hay huznae geed it huz eh?" "Whit is eh daen pointin ower there fur then?" It became apparent as Donald J turned his back on the pleading home team (is this a prediction for what lies ahead?? Hmmmm, a little bit of polictics there.. [Ref:Ben Elton. circa ma school days] ) and ran back towards the centre circle and the fans realised we were 1 up with 3 to play, the 3rd Logan now confirmed on the score sheet. They had a brief sortee into our half but that was easily handled (for a change) and as big B showed his fancy footwork in front of the shed and held off his marker, cries of "punt it intae the corner big man" were answered by a cute clipped curving ball around the last defender for Logie to run on to. It's all about the delivery. Logie headed for the corner but close to the bye line he cut back past the Fatigued Five and slid a Fabulous Fourth under the keeper and this time the Candy Fans Can go mental and they did. A raucous chorus welcomed Jordan as he faked pulling his shirt over his head like he did for his first goal which attracted a yellow.. he kept it on and when DJT brought down The Wall on the game we walked off into the Crystal Maze of M8 roadworks and into the night having witnessed another 4 goal performance but not a 4 start one like last week.

Like so many junior games I have watched over the last 6 years, this is a game we could have lost with no complaints, drawn with the disappointment of two points lost had we just managed a winner but won with 2 late goals. It was one of those exciting junior games which most love. Different from the classic "good play" game.. more a "battle through, get the result and the 3 points and get out of there" game. It was enough to keep us happy though.. just.

Some will want to forget this game...This not being their best 90 minutes in the Candy Green, but they shouldn't feel bad about it. It takes a whole team to lose and a whole team to win. Forwards can't score the winners and grab the glory unless the whole team are at it and provide them the chances. I hope we all regroup, recharge and go again. I saw a trio of injured Snapped Candy players before the game and we will have a great squad when we have everyone fit. Shame for Dom Febers who has buckled his ankle during his first training session after a lengthy lay off. Another Dom, big Centre Half Dom, showed again how valuable he is to the team as he held us together at the back after 2 poor lapses cost us goals, not easy for a tall thin lad not suited to sloppy slippy underfoot conditions. He blocked a few at crucial times and talked and headed and defended well. Well played fella. Stephen Bryson also did well I thought and made good choices and ran and played and joined in till the end. Others did well to I thought in patches but if we all lose together then we all won together and credit to the lads for getting through this and delivering the first 3 points in almost a month. The baldy new manager buy will be disappointed they got nothing but encouraged by some good play and 100% effort. Their chubby Gennaro Gattuso number 9 battled well and overall they were a decent side, which makes our victory all the more pleasing.

This game left me mentally tired and after that final five minute flourish, your overriding feeing is one of joy and relief.... during the game I didn't feel that though. It took someone at half time to tell me they thought it was a good game for me to realise it was. I look at football sometimes through the eyes of someone interpreting facts and separating them from the Candy Coloured feelings of a fan. Anyone who knows me or reads this stuff I write after a game can probably appreciate the way I think and consider football. It stops me enjoying it with the free thought and openness of some and I feel that I miss out sometimes. I've always been like that, even when I played. I think that is why my footballing life has gone the way it has. But could I change and more importantly, should I? Of course some reading this will say "ah wish yay wid" but if I did try, would I have any love of it at all? I get my own pleasure from football and it gives and has given me something which may or may not be unique to me. Something that satisfies but challenges the mind and therefor me. It can bring you from one place and take you, spirits soaring, to another. And what is it that takes us there?? It doesn't matter where you've been.. where are you now and tell me... how did you get there?? It's all about the delivery.
"This love will long endure
And there's one thing I know for sure
It's magical, mystical, and much much more."

Mon the Candy!
MTC

IMG_1487510789.439560.jpgIMG_1487510810.262773.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result for the candy yesterday and even better with other results going out way! Great substitution from Andy bringing on Jordan for sweeney who was non existent! Delighted for Jordan coming on and scoring two goals his second was special! 

Only one other result went ur way

Rossvale pumped us at JMcG and are a really decent side on their day. You guys had a stumble last week too against the worst team we have played in the league this season... 1 point from the last 6? Are you catching the Cold Hot Cold Hot Fever we have had Lang? What do you think has happened? Just a blip?

Rossvale pumped us at JMcG and are a really decent side on their day. You guys had a stumble last week too against the worst team we have played in the league this season... 1 point from the last 6? Are you catching the Cold Hot Cold Hot Fever we have had Lang? What do you think has happened? Just a blip?

Just not finishing off teams. Where goals were flying in a few weeks ago they have been harder to come by. Against Burgh and Rossvale, both these teams should have been dead and buried by half time but they weren't and got punished by both hard working sides. Rossvale worthy winners yesterday and Burgh deserved,at least, the point

It is a cracking competitive league and it looks like going all the way to the wire. We scored late on yesterday and although we shaded it, we could have ended up with nothing. It's going to be squeaky bum time for us fans as everyone gives it there all for a big finish.... if I don't wish you all luck I am sure you will take it in the manner intended... well, perhaps that's harsh.. I'll wish you all luck but just really just mean the one team that comes up with us....hopefully....
MTC![emoji460][emoji172][emoji106]

I have some great memories of playing at Tinto Park whilst at school and during my brief time as a junior player. Now, like a Beatles fan going back to the Cavern Club, I am heading there tomorrow and I am sure my mind will run wild like it usually does when I look around a ground. I am writing this whilst looking out at torrential rain... the kind oF Friday night rain that terriFies a junior Fan Feart oF Flooding. I messaged the gaFFer and asked how their pitch was and what the chances were? "FFs. It's a FFFF4G [emoji23]" came the reply. I really do know FFFFFk all......

Can't wait for the game tomorrow and hopefully we can reverse our home defeat by the Bens earlier in the season where they played direct and effective football, went one up, frustrated us and killed us off with 2 slick counter attack goals late on. I am hoping and expecting things to be different tomorrow. New Tinto Park, Field of Dreams....you built it and The Candy are coming.

Mon the Candy!

MTC[emoji172][emoji460][emoji106]

I'm looking forward to the trip to Govan tomorrow. The Bens gave us a bloody nose earlier in the season when we were playing well and may have been the early kick in the pants as to just how hard a league we are fighting to get promoted out of. Hoping to reverse the 3 nil defeat. MTC [emoji256]

A 2-1 away win and 3 good points after finishing with 10 men in a game today which mirrored our season. Good at times, murder at times, fortunate at times, unlucky at times. We looked to be strolling and despite some chances to kill off the Bens it took a great Starkie save from an edge of the box free kick to keep the lead intact. My hair was at risk of being pulled out as I forgot my woolly tammy. If it wasn't for my gloves it might been. If we were rubbish I wouldn't bother about bad decisions....I need to clam down.... they will be more considered thoughts tomorrow.
It's 3 points more than we had at the start of the day and I have 3 more grey hairs... at least...
Mon the Candy!
MTC

We took a 4 -1- 4-1 formation to Govan today and spent the first half steam rollering the Bens and a quite comfortable 2 zip lead at half time. In the second half our own slack play gifted the Bens a goal when we shouldn't have let it through our midfield. We then changed our formation with subs and went 2 up front and it was nearly our downfall as we then looked ramshackle and a totally different team. Went down to ten men when the up-until then Man of the Match Steven Logan was double yellowed and red carded after a tousy tackle that lead to handbags. A good 3 points but we mad it hard for ourselves.

Fair play to the Chooky Hens folk.
Great wee set up.
Hope one day they get a cover on that seated stand.
That 50 foot drop at the back of it is slightly alarming.

It's a cracking wee stand, would like to see something like that at JMCG park

Archived