The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting?!? I was shitting myself on Saturday until our second went in.
I agree, this is going down to the wire and for us, the fact that Camby haven't matched their early season form has gave us all hope. Larkhall, who I haven't seen us beat, are hitting form at the right time.
Fingers crossed but defo points will be dropped in the run in

4 hours ago, ScottMcCorry said:

Exciting?!? I was shitting myself on Saturday until our second went in.
I agree, this is going down to the wire and for us, the fact that Camby haven't matched their early season form has gave us all hope. Larkhall, who I haven't seen us beat, are hitting form at the right time.
Fingers crossed but defo points will be dropped in the run in

Tell the truth, did you see the second goal?

Jimmy mac u think Cambuslang will collapse to 3rd at best? and open the door for the chasers?
The one bonus Cambuslang have are that larkhall and roch have to play twice if any of the sides win both those ties then I think they will win the league. But if the points are shared , Cambuslang will win the league

A honestly think camby will drop to third the two games between the candy n larkhall as u said will go a long way to decideing it 3 points each with camby dropping more a hope

Fantastic win today given the circumstances of losing a player after around 9 minutes due to a red card .

So 80 mins against the wall seemed to be what was to be expected but the rest of the half we dominated the match on the front foot and headed into the break 3-0 to the good.

The second half I expected us to play in the same vein and see the game out but thorniewood had other ideas and turned the screw then in a 10 minute spell it was suddenly 3-2 and squeaky bum time but fair play to the roch they dug deep and hit the wood with a classic counter and knocked the stuffing right out of them.

So another fantastic advert for junior football, a game played on a tough pitch which was not for the faint hearted , a game which at times swung from end to end and 6 goals was certainly worth the admission fee .

Next week we do it all again it what potentially could be the game of the season as the title / promotion race looks like going right to the wire.

MTC#daretodream

Another win and three points notched up for the Candy.

And all done with 10 men.

Really didn't want to mention Larkhalll out of respect today's oppostion.

It's game on now for both clubs.

No idea what's happened to Cambuslang Rangers, who seemed a few weeks back to have won the league out the park.

All of a sudden the folks "out the road" are starting to dream.

Eff promotion, let's go for the prize.

Go for it Candy.

A big 3 points today for the Candy. Today took bottle. Today showed that this group of guys have got the attitude , guile , desire and skill to win this league. Today could turn out to be the day the Candy won the league.

15 minutes ago, larky9 said:

Plenty points still to be won and lost don't get to carried away lads,as l have said on many occasions the game against you guys in Larkhall imo I think will be the biggest of the season

Allow us to dream for a few days, Larky.

Listen for once this league is a cracking advert for junior football and you guys certainly bring great atmosphere and play good football we all dream about winning the league and the next few weeks are going to be well tasty

Plenty points still to be won and lost don't get to carried away lads,as l have said on many occasions the game against you guys in Larkhall imo I think will be the biggest of the season

Today is a game that could easily have dropped points having to play with ten men for 81 minutes. If we had then winning the league would be tougher so I'm happy to get carried away tonight. [emoji106]????[emoji4]

You certainly done well with 10 men especially playing most of the match ask me with 4 games to go who will win the league we have 5 home games and 5 away left,but nobody in Larkhall are getting carried away we just take 1 game at a time but for now we are in a good place
All the very best

You certainly done well with 10 men especially playing most of the match ask me with 4 games to go who will win the league we have 5 home games and 5 away left,but nobody in Larkhall are getting carried away we just take 1 game at a time but for now we are in a good place
All the very best

We will certainly welcome you all next week to JMcG

Sometimes there are just some fights that you can't win. There is no shame in that and true defeat only arrives not just when you lose but when you don't realise that you are defeated and keep trying to win the unwinnable. The definition of madness etc etc.....Sometimes you need to know when to hold them and know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run. After a 2 day Cheltenham Blitz I knew I was a beaten man as I stood shaking like a shitting dug surrounded by the posh and the good kilted egg chasing rugby fans who queued and snaked around me at Queen Street yesterday morning. Their enthusiasm for the sporting day ahead was evident in their jokes and laughter and Kelvinside accents.. the Afro had just got in after a 17 hour season at 320am, 300 pounds lighter and 8 pounds heavier and as I stood waiting on the 9.49 back home to the Briggs, I knew that any pretence that I was as young as I was and as physically able to deal with this situation as I once was would have been mentally debilitating. Know when to admit defeat so you can keep your sanity. Murrayfield was calling them and my bed was calling me. The safe, warm and familiar. I limped into the train a broken man, a belly full of beer and kebabs and a pocket full of shrapnel. I know when I'm beaten and don't mind admitting it. I swore "never again"..... until next year lads.... you need to know when to walk away.

2 hour kip and the auld man collects me, wrapped up against the rain and the cold and the hangover shakes. We make it to the ground and I sample a pie and a weak coffee.. bad choice. It's gone in one end and after a washing machine-esque belly rumble it is now ready to come out the other end.. you've got to know when to walk away and know when to run. Emptied and with only The Candy Love keeping me upright I take a safe place behind the goal and near the conveniences for my own security. I get the old man a seat and off we kick. The Candy start well in the rain and boom, a good slipped through ball and Steph bangs it home for 1-0. I am thinking (football is a rapid Soberer Upper) he's scored early after one last week.. I bet he has a good game today. He had an eventful game as a few minutes later he goes smashing into a tackle which to me looks reckless and ends up on the floor injured. I think he is in trouble but the ref gives us the free kick. A few of the lads near me shoot me down when I suggest he needs to be careful tackling like that and I make a decision not to count my money sitting at this table. A minute later he tackles again and gets a straight red. I'm an experienced Gambler and this was a cert. (I saw him after the game in the clubhouse and he said he got done and was showing off some of the battle scars. I still gave him a look and a wee shake of the head and I am sure it was a look he probably expected. Having said that when you are a combative type and this is part of your game then you win some and lose some. A seasoned Gambler knows when to walk away though and which races are best left alone. You learn as you get older.) The consensus around me was one of amazement and as he trudged off I listened to some comments and decided that there are some arguments you are not going to win. Time to walk away. I left the old man there (he is deaf so it didn't bother him) in search of some sanity and headed for my usual windswept spot beside the home dugout and the more elementary exposed position blew the last of the headache cob webs away. I stand beside my regular pitchside muse who is young keeper Aeden's dad and watched as a brave move by Klopp (who kept 2 up top despite going down to 10 men) saw us score again and nick a 3rd right on half time. I was disappointed in ThorneyWid who had been a worthy opponent a few weeks ago. They looked a shadow of their former selves. Their fans weren't happy in the club house at half time, ours were. I suspected they couldn't be as bad second and half and they weren't. They started on the front foot and a good save from Starkie just delayed the inevitable and they scored a quick double to rock the Roch and leave the fans at this side of the pitch quiet and on edge. A good Gambler needs nerves of steel. Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic. We were tiring and the midfield 3 (who had ran non stop on this heavy pitch) were running out of funds. A quick trip to the cashpoint via a couple of subs and we were back in the bookies, checking out the form. Our odds had shortened but the Candy didn't cash out. Sub Darryl slipped a good ball through for St Patrick's Week Hat-trick Seeking Logie, who ignoring their calls for offside, romped away on the run in, round the keeper and tapped into the empty net and that was the Candy over the line to a deserved victory. The Wid trotted through to the end and finished a distant second having challenged a few out. The final whistle was greeted like the gold cup winner and most fans had backed the winner. Every game now is vital and as you get over every fence it is a fence nearer the finishing line and the roar of the crowd that will await the winner. What to do though?? Do you go early and hope you hang on like Camby? Or do you gallop along steadily at the front of the field like the Candy? Or do you sit mid division and come with a late rattle like the Hall of the Lark? Who are you picking as we get ready to swing for home? The louder you shout the faster they run and if the Candy fans keep behind the team and accept their may be stumbles on the run in, then I am hopeful that we can be the ones being cheered into the winners enclosure. You pays your money and you makes your choice. We are certainly getting a run for our money this season. How faaaaar??

As I waited to applaud the lads off the pitch and into the unsaddling enclosure, an old guy, black and red scarf hanging and a 4 spokes walking stick in hand made his way past the shed and met his defeated manager. The old boy let rip and lambasted the bloke, bemoaning the crap dedending and poor performance. "Yay gave thum four fkn goals" the denizen of the terrace gave the gaffer full barrels. I had the feeling this old boy had seen many a conceded goal. After the futile attempts to pacify the old soldier, "Ah pay ma money an ahm entitled tae gie yay ma opinion an that's whit ahm daein" something had to give. To be fair to their gaffer he tried to explain they would try to improve and took it for a while then he knew when to walk away. You need to know that sometimes there are some fights you ain't going to win. The old boy then turns to the shed and wishes the Candy well and receives a cheer and some applause as he waves and heads off for the exit in the rain, defeated 4-2 but smiling and happy, the winner of the verbal tennis with their gaffer. I loved his passion and his love for his team, his anger and pride and at the end, his realism and good sportsmanship. Sometimes you can walk away and live to fight another day, the auld boy is all that football is and I for one salute him. Even The Gambler who loses wins eventually and who wouldn't smile at that?

Mon the Candy!
MTC

This is like the day you went on holidays as a kid. I went to bed last night and thought about the game today as I dozed. I thought about winning and smiled and thought for a fleeting second "what if we lose?" I then amazed myself by straight away thinking "well, better make sure we win then".... as if I was playing and could influence it. Well the truth is you can influence things. You can keep the lads going and encourage and support. The CandyFans do that in abundance and it has shown in the performances and the results. What a cracking day ahead, what a match up, I can't wait to play Larky and although it's a home game I have my travelling outfit laid out on my bed. I have pre match holiday butterflies and can't wait to get in the car and head for the StRochSeaSide. Dad.... are we nearly there yet???
MTC!

Archived