General Chatter

Sooky

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's bizarre - the heptathlon women jumped higher than the women in the high jump.

KJT should consider a change of event perhaps...

With things being all over bar the shouting, it really is sensational to follow the incredible medal success of London... 65 medals, 29 Gold and finishing 3rd in the medal table ahead of Russia... with going to an away games and winning 66 medals, 27/28 Gold and finishing 2nd in the medal table ahead of China!! Think of the resources, population, state support and so on in China.

I say 66 medals - outside chance in the 4x 400m here if they blitz it and avoid disqualification. Would be a great way to finish the stadium athletics.

Any sports not met their target?

Or been nowhere near their target?

Only rowing and modern pentathlon failed.

Expected 6 in rowing, ended up on 5 with 3 golds and 2 silvers and topping the medal table. So I think a cut in funding would be fairly harsh for that!

If I remember correctly, modern pentathlon was expected to provide one medal.

Totally forgot about that - the 4x 400m relay rescued Athletics and hit their minimum target.

Modern Pentathlon and Rowing each came-up one medal short.

EDIT: Grid here. Weightlifting and Fencing had 0-1 targets, won none. Clearly we've no-one rated in Archery, Synchronised Swimming or Table Tennis :lol::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics#Medal_and_performance_targets

19 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Do you know when the last time was that Britain came 2nd in the medal table?

1908 (1st), but it hardly counts.

It was held in London: so many domestic competitors entered that we won 56 gold & 146 in total: there were only 110 & 324 awarded :lol:. USA 2nd on 23 & 47.

4 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

Iv liked how in the run down of ohuroghu' s career we have skipped over the drug ban bit, must just be the dirty Russians and Gatlin that cheat.

Unlike Gatlin and the Russians she was not banned for doping but missing 3 tests - the final test she missed was bizarrely between 2 tests in the space of two weeks - both these tests were clear.

It was the reason why her ban was for a year and not longer as clearly she wasn't taking drugs for that misses third test but was penalised (rightly) for not being available for the tests.

On the combat sport bronze medals query - all the combat sports proper (i.e. not including fencing) are allowed to award 2 bronze medals. In boxing, this is since you might lose your SF through knockout or injury, and wouldn't be able to compete in a further bout. Possibly this was the idea for the rest. However, those others... judo, taekwando, wrestling... actually contest both their bronzes.

I think the format varies in each case - but basically everyone eliminated before the Final, or everyone who lost in QFs & SFs, or everyone who lost against the finalists, play further rounds and it ends-up with 2 bronze contests.

It seems pretty unfair that other sports can't do it, and they don't simply make both fight each other for 1 bronze.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

On the combat sport bronze medals query - all the combat sports proper (i.e. not including fencing) are allowed to award 2 bronze medals. In boxing, this is since you might lose your SF through knockout or injury, and wouldn't be able to compete in a further bout. Possibly this was the idea for the rest. However, those others... judo, taekwando, wrestling... actually contest both their bronzes.

I think the format varies in each case - but basically everyone eliminated before the Final, or everyone who lost in QFs & SFs, or everyone who lost against the finalists, play further rounds and it ends-up with 2 bronze contests.

It seems pretty unfair that other sports can't do it, and they don't simply make both fight each other for 1 bronze.

The biggest unfairness is swimmers who can win umpteen medals whilst others can only win one.

Archived