New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Footage of Souness, Laudrup, Gazza, Moonbeams, Advocaat etc with unironic commentary about how great that era was.

That's exactly the image that popped into my head reading the OP. 

Then Keith Jackson greeting that former Kidderminster Harrier James Vincent scored the winner in the cup final when 20 years earlier it was Brian Laudrup, or some other ***.

1 minute ago, StandFree03 said:

I hate it. I hate the obsession with the English premier league that people have in the country. The notion that football is shit in this country just because we don't spend billions every transfer window and pay players 100k a week really boils my piss. We have some decent players in this country and some really entertaining games, you would never know that from the way they are reported though. Suddenly the league had somehow greatly improved because a couple of ex-English premier league players are here? Everything has been shit without Rangers? Really?

It actually puts me in a rage thinking about it TBH. We cannot be like the English premier league, la Liga, bundesliga etc, nor should we even try. We should be trying to create our own identity and promoting it as much as possible, not talking it down because it doesn't match up to fucking England.

Imagine any other industry in Scotland doing that? The tourist board saying its shit up here and England is better? It's a ludicrous situation to be.

It's genuinely embarrassing at times.

That Neil McLeod article doing the rounds prior to this weekend about the SPFL's marketing strategy being akin to Gerald Ratner's crap jewellery remark is absolutely spot on.

The way Doncaster and co have tried to just copy goings on down south rather than come up with an original identity both baffles and depresses me. The game up here is prime for a more central strategy to advertise games, boost the profile of players and clubs from the top flight to the bottom in the SPFL. That article mentioned how we could be connecting with the community so much more than we do, building on that relationship between fans and players that has been totally lost in England. Whilst most players up here are probably still earning more than your average punter, it's not so much (out with those at Parkhead and Ibrox anyway) so that they become almost alien-like, in the way people like Ibrahimovic and Pogba will be to your average Man United 'fan' (they're just celebrities).

And don't even get me started on the names of the leagues. That will always annoy me...

12 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

I hate it. I hate the obsession with the English premier league that people have in the country. The notion that football is shit in this country just because we don't spend billions every transfer window and pay players 100k a week really boils my piss. We have some decent players in this country and some really entertaining games, you would never know that from the way they are reported though. Suddenly the league had somehow greatly improved because a couple of ex-English premier league players are here? Everything has been shit without Rangers? Really?

It actually puts me in a rage thinking about it TBH. We cannot be like the English premier league, la Liga, bundesliga etc, nor should we even try. We should be trying to create our own identity and promoting it as much as possible, not talking it down because it doesn't match up to fucking England.

Imagine any other industry in Scotland doing that? The tourist board saying its shit up here and England is better? It's a ludicrous situation to be in.

I like your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

16 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

We should be trying to create our own identity and promoting it as much as possible, not talking it down because it doesn't match up to fucking England.

Absolutely this. The game is at a level. Accept it. It will continue to finds it's level in the future. Get fuckin used to it. 

16 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

I am fucking SEETHING.

Image result for star wars emperor emoji

Good. Good. Let the hate flow through you.

Hmmmm I've a feeling that it'll all be sevcos fault and they'll have impartial experts like Cosgrove (harr harr harr), spiers, wee Jum, that ch4 guy, Philip and his lovely protege.

Probably won't watch.

f**k off, Vicky.

18 minutes ago, rossafc92 said:

And don't even get me started on the names of the leagues. That will always annoy me...

Agree with all you say - but as a perfect illustration of the cringing attitude at the top of Scottish football - renaming the leagues to match the english ones couldn't be more instructive. Why actively invite unflattering comparisons of the type we see all the time - Scottish football obviously has a very long history in football terms - the Premier league was a thing here long before it was in England - so why not try to carve out a unique identity and present and advertise our game differently. We will never again compete in any way with the English game on money - so why even bother trying to ape the marketing bollocks that goes with it....

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

I for one think it is utterly shameful that Scotland cannot compete with a neighboring country that is around 10 times it's size. I hope you all have a long hard look at yourselves.

It depends on the terms of the competition, I guess.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

What you're all forgetting is the millions and millions of English people who tune into the old firm game

Not to mention the Charles Green-tastic 500 million across the globe.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What you're all forgetting is the millions and millions of English people who tune into the old firm game

This is true. Neil Dongcaster does a tremendous job for us Diddies fighting off the EPL and European Super League requests for Celtic and Rangers to leave us and join them......

Archived